My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Just a short note to say that I started running in middle of september and have just managed to do a 10k in under a hour well 58 mins 45 seconds and 5k in 28.01.

Once I got to running 5 k without stopping I found I could do 6k, 7k 8k and finally 10k with no walking. 

Now I am not a runner I am just a 45 year old it worker that has a bmi of 30, and had almost no exercise in 4 years.

Next goal is 10 miles in 100 mins and then half mara in 2.15 

• Hi Meysey Man - sounds like you're doing pretty well.  10K in under an hour is pretty good going.  I'm in a pretty similar situation, managed just on the hour mark for my last 10K.  Now training for the half marathon - probably looking to do it in about 2.15.

Have to say the training schedule I printed off from here is brilliant.  I used the smart coach which bases it on your previous times.  5 weeks in I'm now up to 15 miles per week and it's starting to feel a lot easier, I would certainly recomend it to anyone who is fairly new to this running lark.

• Just managed to break my seemingly "unbreakable" run time of 30 mins for my 7.5K(ish) trail run. Could NOT get below 31 mins but just got 29m17s. It's pretty damn hilly trail/woods stuff so happy with that. The cool air seems to "turbocharge" your lungs.
      VERY sweaty now though!
  • Howdy all!

I was wondering if perhaps any of you know about any good races in Jan / Feb - 10km's or thereabouts?? 

• Oops - It's just over 6km. That'll teach me to guess!
  • Morning All - I hope we all had a good Christmas.

Apologies for being a bit quiet recently - work took over my life as a reorganicsation means everyone having to apply for jobs. Thankfully I was interviewed last week and learnt on Friday I have been offered a brilliant job well above my current level. I'm really chuffed - but it doesn't help with the fitness levels. Mind you - the stress was enough to keep my weight down! 

I haven't run anywhere for a couple of weeks - but yesterday managed a few plods across Westward Ho beach - very nice it was too! Skiing in just over a week, so I'm hoping all that training will serve me well.

Hope you guy's are all doing OK. 

• Not much running recently but wife and I did a 35 mile trail cycle on our MTBs on Xmas Eve - Rather fun but tiring!

Totally unrelated but I got a pic taken without my knowledge in November and wife gave me a framed pic of it for Xmas - My only decent surfing pic ever!

Have a good New Year all!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/sutherlandm/Surfpic.jpg

• Morning all (OK - it's afternoon - just feels like morning)

Hey Matt - what a fab picture - nice kick back you have there! Well done on the training. Must admit I have completely failed in December. January will be different! Week today I shall be tearing up the alps for a whole week playing in the snow. When I get back I will train properly, or that half marathon is going to be shameful!

Happy New Year everyone. 

• Thanks DP - Nice to get a good shot at last! 

First run since Christmas today.
    Felt like a lethargic sloth for the first half then turned up the pace a bit and got a PB (4.5 miles, mostly trail but pretty flat) - just beat 31 minutes at LAST.

Legs now protesting image

• Morning,

Please could I be added to your list? I could do with a bit of motivation on these cold, dark mornings!

I'm a 46 year old female, I've been running, very on and off, for about 3 years. I'm also aiming for a sub 1 hour 10k. My PB is 61.41, which I did on 16th December. I made the classic mistake of going off too fast, and then the last 2 k was not good!

I've been a total slob over Christmas and need to get back to training.

My target race  for a sub 1 hour is on 30th March. Bit of a tall order, but fingers crossed!

• Morning!

Welcome Marin - please feel free to join in! Well done on the 61.41 - that's a fab time! I completely know what you mean about being a slob! I'm looking out of the window this morning thinking it looks OK for a plod today - now I just need to get out there!

I'm no expert, but getting 1m41secs off by March seems do-able to me - if you put some speed work into your training! Oh - that sounds so easy - not! Good luck with it - keep us posted on how you are going along.

Matt - congrats on a sub 31 minutes - that's great considering your state of mind at the beginning.

Now - where did I put my running shoes?... 

• Morning DP,

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement, it's much needed!!

Hope your run goes well today, it's just geeting the trainers on that's the hardest bit......!

• Hi Marin

Sure is! Quarter past three and I'm still here - ho hum!  

• Hi Everyone - and Happy New Year!

2008 goals here we come!

• Hi everyone and a Happy New year!!

I am a new one  to the site and would love to join in the buzz of the 10k in 60 mins!!! Have not got that far yet!!. Completed two seperate 5k in 30 mins. So as someone had said before that if I do that twice I will have cracked it! What has everyone got planned and any tips on getting out of the house in these dark wet days? I have just registered for the 10k in Leeds which takes place in June 2008, but I have'nt been running since the 11th June!! Seems like I have ages but It will be here before I know it. Any motivational tips greatly recieved.

Deniseimage  

• Hi folks,

Sorry I've been a bit quiet also image , picked up an injury back in November and am only just getting back into it image.

I am still planning for a full marathon in April and I'm on week 2 of my training plan.
    I did a 3.5mile run yesterday and it was hell !! I feel like I'm starting all over again LoL......
    Long run today, if its stays dry it will be a 5.5mile outside run but if its hissing down its a 10k on the treadie, should give an idea of how much I've lost over the last month.

For you "new" guys , best motivation for me is deciding on a training plan and sticking to it.
    That way I know what days I'm running and how far so there is no getting out of it LoL.

Managed a run on both christmas day and new years day , feeling very smug image 

Adbru

• Thanks Adbru,

I will get a plan together and stick to it!!! I like the idea of not being able to get out of it regardless!!! Well I better get my act into gear.

Deniseimage

• Happy New Year to all fellow lunatics who choose to go out running in this weather!

Have to agree that the only way to maintain the running is to have a schedule.  I've been working to a half marathon schedule for about 7 weeks now and I have to say it was excellent motivation to get out over Christmas.  Basically if my schedule says I should run then I should run - Christmas day I did 4 miles.  Saturday just gone I was in Cyprus for the new year but still went out and did 7 miles - because the schedule said that's what I needed to do that day. 

Petedaddy - I'm not sure it's true that you couldn't maintain your 5K pace over 10 - not immediately but eventually as you step up the distance you find you can maintain the pace for a little more - I'm more of a plodder than a runner but I'm managing to stick to the pace that gets me round 10K in 1 hour - on Saturday I maintained this pace over 7 miles.  In a couple of weeks I'll aim to do so over 8 miles and so on with the aim being I finish the half marathon in around 2 hours in March.  Bottom line though is that running 5K in 30 minutes is pretty good going even if you are gasping for breath by the end and the step up to maintaining this pace is not as great as you think - if I can do it then anyone can - put it this way - there is a reason for my user name!  image 

• Thanks NBFS...

Nice place to spend the New Year. Well done for sticking to the schedule.Even on your hols! I see what you are saying and that seems like the only way forward. How many times do you go out running/plodding? I will be interested in how you come on over the next few weeks. Got to say Petedaddy at least your up to 5k so well done to you for that, won't be long before your up there to your mark.

Deniseimage

• Denise,

generally the plan I am following means that I am out 3 times a week - one easy run, one speed run and then a long run at the end of the week.  I produced a training plan from this website and it seems really good - definately seems to have taken me to the next stage in terms of distance and speed - I am now capable of running 8 miles, further than I have ever run in my life and can also manage a 10K in under an hour - a PB for me although I've not done it in a race yet. 

As I approach the race I think the schedule changes and the runs become more frequent.  Certainly works for me.

• So I've been training on and off over the winter months so far, although the weather has been putting paid to some of my runs, BUT I did 8.3k in 59 min last week and felt good right up to the last quarter (I think it might have been my first runners high), so I'm getting there, just need to get up to 10k, then I can start on the getting it under 1 hr thing.

petedaddy - You can easily shave off 6 seconds to get you under 30 min, you just need the perfect run like I did, or do what I did and do a race that wasn't the proper distance and make yourself feel great about your running instantly!!

Thought I should update this

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/30- PB 61.11 - <60 Dec 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 76.0 <60 May 08
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 44.07 - <40 Apr 08?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07
    Grast_girl - F/28 - PB 59.28 (8.3k) - <60 Aug 08
    Mark Briggs 2 - M/31 - PB 51.34 - <50 Jun 08
    Adbru - M/41 - PB 57:50  <55 May08 
    Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 60.40  <60 Sept 08
    DianaD - F/53 PB 56.03 <55 Jan 08
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30

• Hi NBFS,

Thank you for your tips there and I have got a great plan now set out from the web site. It is an 18 week which takes me right up to the date of the race. I shall keep checking to see how everyone is getting on. This will also keep me keen!! No time for slacking! It has just rained none stop this week I would have been better taking up swimming. Looking forward to getting in there though.

Deniseimage

• Great stuff Denise - amazing how the training plan brings you on.  I did 9 miles on Sunday and felt really good afterwards - wasn't long ago I was really struggling to do 10K.  I'm also managing the faster runs without feeling the need to pass out at the end.  I would henestly say for the first time since I started running over 2 years ago I'm starting to feel fit, apart from a few aches and pains as my poor old body gets used to all of the exertion.

Good luck with your schedule - it really does help focus you and gets you out there when it's the last thing you want to do.

• Pete,

couldn't have put it better myself - I can relate totally to everything you say.   You're very brave doing the full marathon - the half seems daunting at the moment. 

• Well done guys, good to hear everyone getting out there image

I'm planning a 10k on Feb10th in Fort William, this will be my first race since beginning of Nov.

Aiming to use it as a training run, aiming to get back under 60 mins. my Pb from last sept is 57:50.

Still very icy up here so my 5 miles was a trial today !!

Stay safe

Adbru 

• PeteDaddy - in a race situation, you'd smash 60 mins.

The adrenaline makes a huge huge difference.

I was getting high 40s (mins) on my practise runs and got 44m (including about 2 mins lost to a marshalling error)  on a real race- however once the adrenaline wore off, I couldn't stand for ages!

• Pete - don't worry. I'm a slightly weird exercise loon who took up running last June.

Get yourself signed up to a race if you can - very satisfying but expect your legs to be out of action for several days afterwards - mine were terrible! 

• Oops - sorry Pete - I'm not the best at keeping up!

I've done two and the second one (44m07s but should have been about 42mins -  marshalls sent us the wrong way!!) went a lot better than the first (52m27s - insanely muddy and hilly though). Felt like expiring on both though! 

I'm sure you'll crack the hour soon. 

• Hi everyone

plenty of gentle training will do it all nicely, speed will come with time and fitness

my solo 10k best 20 years ago was around 34.30

my best now pushing Phillip in his wheelchair is 46.30

our slowest 10k on a very hilly course in the heat of summer is about 58 minutes

so, if we can do it, with concentration , dedication, and focus, and sheer will all of you can

Enjoy it .. Feel Free !!!!!

micknphil-marathonlads.co.uk

• Mick and Phil, that gives me something to aim for, your 10k time is the same as my 5k time and you've got the addition of the wheelchair!

Well done, you look like you were both enjoying yourselves so much! Its going to give me something to aim for 10k in under 60 here I come!