Run Forest Run!

Comments

• I once got shot by a group of fellas in a car with paintball guns. not fun and pretty painful.

• bloody hell. you lot really live in the badlands...

• Little T - knuckledusters sound like a good idea image

Had someone sing "keep on running" last night, and got honked at by a car. Oh how they make me laugh - can't they be more original?!

• Remember that people who attack you (verbally) are generally suffering from insecurities and are not much fun to look at.  They are unfortunate people who feel better about themselves by bringing other people down with them.

Kick up those endorphins and laugh at them.

Vicki - if you avatar is you, I woudln't worry about what some chav on a skateboard says.  Most people don't understand that not everyone runs to "lose weight" - sometimes we do it because we enjoy it   image

• I had a screwed up McDonald's bag thrown at me from a car whilst I was running along the South Circular once. Sadly for them, they then had to stop at a red light so I picked up the bag, walked up to their car and put it under their windscreen wiper (at the bottom, passenger side - safety first, folks!). Then ran off LOL.
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭

That must have been so satisfying Dr Nic image

Once when we were holding a  speed session in a local park a bunch of teenagers came up and started shouting remarks at us.  My fellow coach, who has much more bottle than I do, promptly invited them to join us.  Her manner was so authoritative that a couple of them did, and were shocked to find that running with us ladies was hard work - they lasted a coupke of reps then excused themselves in a very respectful manner!  Yesss!

• I had a bunch of kids in Wandsworth on Sunday calling me 'Gay' as I was in my running lycras. I wanted to say something but ignoring them seemed to do the trick as they shut up when there wasn't a reaction.

I also had a Polish worker step out of a group waiting to start work, point his butt at me and fart as I passed him. Much to the amusement of his colleaguesimage.

• i find that staring at them - and i mean REALLY staring - is enough to shut people up.

failing that, i have on a couple of occasions run back to a group of people who were hurling abuse and had it out with them. it's easy to insult someone's back - they get a bit of a shock when you run back to them.

i just don't see why we should take any shit, personally. but then again, i'm having a bad day!!

• I must be lucky in where I run as I haven't got any nasty comments to report. Record number of horn beeps on one run is 4, all from van drivers, needless to say!

The chavs where I live are all quite polite, and just stare mutely with a bemused expression as you pass them. Best comment I can remember was "You can chase me!" from a delivery driver unloading his van, made me laugh for the next 4 miles. Pensioners always say "I wish I had your energy!".

Thing that annoys me most is if I pass other runners and they completely blank me, doesn't cost anything to smile!

• wow jw2,

that Polish bloke must have really good control to wait for a passing runner, sorry not really laughing, am actually crying thinking about it lol.

Not amusing at the time but f**k me that really has creased me up, funniest abuse I have ever heard of.

Sorry again.............

• I've also had numerous stares from people - makes me wonder if my shorts have split, or do I have horns? Have these people never seen someone running before?!

One time I had the usual (beer-belly, fag-in-hand) bloke comment "is the bingo not on tonight hen?"

I've only every responded once to the abuse - I ran back to a guy and said "you shold try it sometime mate, then you wouldn't have that belly you have". Cruel maybe, but sometimes you just can't hold your tongue! & it was worth it to see the look on his & his mate's face.

Most of the time though, its just better to ignore the oiks image

• Hahahaha LinD

I am never that quick with remarks.  I just sit dumbfounded at how nasty some people can be... 

• Last year I was pushed into the Rochdale Canal as I passed a group of teenagers. I'd say it was fortunate, for both the culprit and me, that he had a bike and a downhill getaway.

• I had some random oik yelling random things at me about 5 weeks ago. Can't remember what he said, but it was at the end of a really carp run, at the end of a carp day. So I told him to go and f*&k himself. Luckily for me I was at the garden gate when I shouted at him.

I've had stones, bottles and eggs thrown at me, and car horns beeped at me, and been chased by dogs. No-one's treid to push mi in the river yet though

• From pensioners it's usually a shake of the head in disbelief, or occasionally "Now then, well done"

From a truck driver stopped at lights as I ran over the crossing, "Nice arse!"

From friends in my village who don't run, "Want a lift / croggy?"

And while wearing my bones vest (see avatar) "You don't want to get any thinner!" and a little girl to her mum, "Look mummy, a skellington!"

• Some chavette tried to trip me up once as I passed her and her mates. Being 6'1" and 19 stone I didn't even feel her as ran into her but I did hear her comment from the floor, 'Farking 'hell, that caaaarnt just run me over'.  Funny thing is, I see her quite often at the same place and since then she has always given me a wide berth.

I've never heard any abuse (sure I've got it but the Ipod is always on) but I did get stopped once by two lads who then asked me if I had a fag they could have. My answer isn't repeatable here.

• big fat bird shouted" aye aye show us yer pie
  • Re: llamafarmer - pushed in Rochdale Canal; blimey strewth!  Some of these people are just barking aren't they!!?  Good job you could swim really (don't know how deep it is).

Friend of mine was running past a large pub car park a while ago which has two entrances/exits and some 'yoofs' in a car thought it would be really funny to rev the engine and come towards him, after he'd passed the first entrance and then braked suddenly just as he ran across the second..  All done on purpose as a bit of a laugh but potentially quite dangerous. He had the sense not to react (too much).

....... Richard Craniums springs to mind. 

• Loads of comments last night - plus one kid who tried to run with us and shouted back to his mate..

'oi Shane!' ...says it all really!! his name was probably Duane or something like that image

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    about 6.30 this morning, saw a couple of revellers outside a taxi office, still heavily refreshed from the night before. the cognitive processes of one were so dulled by overindulgence, apparently, that all he could blurt out was 'Paula...' followed 5 seconds later by 'Radcliffe'.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

swittle - ah, the stumbling heckler!  I've not had anything like that recently but it reminds me of a time when I was track cycling with my school (many years ago).  I was doing a quick lap and some young fella who was obviously impressed either with the girth of my thighs image or speed of leg turnover was heard to say, "Blimey, his legs are like... motorways!"

Eh?!

On the running front I seem to have got away lightly compared to some of you lot (pushed into a canal FFS?!) and it's been literally weeks since my last "Run Forest, Run!", but this was in the Greenwich Foot Tunnel, so there was an echo for good measure.

• "Blimey, his legs are like... motorways!"

I'm Alan Partridge - back to you Chris..image

• Where are you guys running!? Downtown Joberg!! LOL So much abuse...

I got some sh*t from some teenagers and stopped and calmly told them that i'd post thier hearts to their mothers...they went quiet and i carried on...sometimes ya just gotta give it back! It depends on the context of the comment...tongue in cheek is fine BUT abuse...don't take it. Kick em in the balls! You wouldn't let someone pi*s on ya face, would ya!? We need to send out a message to these ars*s!! 

My biggest problem is f**king dogs!! Weds, A huge German Shepard comes charging at me from his house and i slowed turned round and used voice command.. i.e. Oi stop! (I was shi**ing meself! LOL But the dog stopped (Luckily)

I think abuse depends on the time of day you run...i run at 10am ish - chavs are at school...so, i have less abuse! I also recommend running in LONSDALE! LOL They think ya a boxer (I am though)

• I used to have a moustache - I hate 118 118!
  • If they're FAT, (And i have been, so i will be as cruel as needed! LOL) then let rip at them...

It's not glands...it's called greed!

• ironduke - maybe some people can shout back particularly if they (a) can run fast or (b) are well 'ard. But being 5ft , female, rather slow and unable to punch my way out of a paper bag I usually bite my tongue.

And where I live is very nice. Quiet little town. Everyone smiles politely if you walk past in civvies. Maybe lycra brings out the worst in people? To be fair most comments I've had (with the exception of very very rude white van drivers and boy racers) are usually well meant.

• I think it's annoying that these complete muppets feel the NEED to say anything at all.  It shows that all they really are is a bunch of idiots who don't do any sports for any reason.  I mean, I do sports because I enjoy them.  I don't need some numpty in a hoodie to cheer me on - good or bad. 

At least when they are dying of obesity, lung cancer, heart disease or stupidty, I will more than likely be healthily running past their hospital window

All comments and postings are not intended to in any way offend, to joke or to make fun of, you, your family, your clique, fantasy friends, real friends, internet friends, forum friends, phone friends, facebook friends, casual friends, smoking partners, friends with benefits and any and all magical creatures both evil and benign.  Mostly - all comments should not be taken literally, apply a bucket a salt and some sweetener and chill 

• Shortnslow - Bodica was short but didn't take cr*p - it's not about being 'well ard', it's about standing up for yourself as a human being!

Some people out there just need shooting...

• Been pondering on all of this, perhaps some poeple just can't help themselves and comments slip out?  (Teenagers excluded from this).   Years ago before I ever started running myself I passed runners out on the road and I might have thought  ' oh those shorts are a tad too short!' or  'nice arse' (on a bloke I hasten to add) and even thought  'she's too fat for those leggings'  (yes I know, shame on me, but Im no saint!)   BUT I would NEVER  have consciously shouted anything out.   Perhaps some people genuinely couldn't stop themselves??  Heard the saying 'engage brain before opening mouth' 

...... HA, HA, HA.....  I'll just come down from cloud cuckoo land and  rejoin the real world now!   Sorry its been a long day...