Disabled and desperate

Comments

•  My story is similar to the very first one posted on this thread.

Told I had a few weeks to live after spending nearly a year in the Marsden Hospital, with tumours in the liver, brain and skin.Hated running, swimming, netball anything really, but having found myself still alive after a year thought I would face one of my fears and do something fitness.

That was ten years ago. Now I find myself with a place in the FLM. Great BUT I can only walk, fairly fast but 26 miles walking I am worried about being pucked up by the 'slow wagon'. How much time is allowed to finish, even for the extremly slow?

Thanks

Can't think of a name that describes just how slow I am (Sue) 

• Well, Sue, the official Australian tour guide that ships Aussies up to do FLM says:

CUT-OFF TIMES
    There are no cut-off times for the Flora London Marathon.

They should know! So it's just a little matter of making sure you can walk 26 miles, without worrying about how fast  ;-))

Patootie, it's been a couple of weeks since I was on the thread, and it's just remarkable to see the courage and determination your'e showing, AND how they're paying off. You are already starting to think of yourself as an athlete-in-training again, which you are. The Double-Wobbleator-Event must have been really great--and it's great that it made you laugh! You're entitled to some violins for sure, but I guess it probably makes you feel better when you have the upbeat jazzy playing in your head instead.

I'm just a bit worried because it's been a while since you've posted. Hope it's not a sign that you've been going through a rough time---but even if you have, come back in and tell us about it when you feel up to it.  We'll be here waiting!

(((((((((Patootie))))))) 

• sue

realistically eight hours

where are you patootie

• A guy I know who is partially sighted an disabled took ten and a half hours. He was guided by his mother, but I don't think there was anyone there to present the medal at the end, he had to apply to FLM to get it.

• Well done Sue!

There's no cut off, so don't worry about that. I think Lyndylou's right about the medal but if you do finish in around 8 hours I'm pretty sure there will stiil be people handing them out. Concentrate on getting as much walking in as you can beforehand and just go out and have a brilliant time image   

Let us know how you are doing Patootie, we're thinking of you hunimage 

• that lloyd scott fella took eight days once. (btw, if they let him do it, let mick'n'phil do it!)
  • yes but I don't think Mick n Phill will be slow!

Colin

• Hi

Thanks everyone for your input. It has helped to stir me on and aim for around 8-10hrs with a following wind.

Sue (Painfully Slow)

• Good on ya, Sue! You'll make it fine.

Patootie, we're all thinking of you!!

((((((((Patootie)))))))

• colin - mick'n'phil will definitely NOT be that slow!  they would whizz past everyone!

sue, you will love it.  have a great time.  don't worry about what time you finish in.  as someone pointed out to me last year, you all get exactly the same medal, whether you finish in 3 hours or 8 hours.

((patootie)) hope you're ok.  i thought of you at my appointment at the migraine clinic yesterday.  there were some newspaper cuttings about migraine in the reception and in one of the articles was a bit about acupuncture for fibromyalgia which some patients found particularly beneficial.  maybe it's something you could try if you are able to.

• patootie..... where are you, the formumites want to know...

I hope there is not a problem?

Colin

• Patootie, feel the forum vibe comin atcha, log on now !

(That ought to do it)

• BB ✭✭✭
    still no patootie? *adds to the forum vibe being sent to Patootie*
  • (((((Patootie))))

More vibes coming your way!

Hope this doesn't mean the virus you mentioned in your last post has got its teeth into you!!!

• <sending more wellness vibes to patootie>
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Patootie~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Please come back and let us know how you are. Even if you've had a setback or don't feel brill, that's OK---this is a place where you can scream and howl if you want to. We're here for the ups and downs both!

• Patootie is e-mail enabled so I have just sent her a quick message to say we are missing her and wondering how she is. image
  • What a good idea, Screamapillar! Lets hope she replies, and is OK.
  • Screampillar, did you hear anything from Patootie? This silence is getting a bit worrysome!

Patootie: come back, we miss you!!!!!!

• Haven't heard anything GC - hoping she'll sign in soon.
  • Hi patootie - Just popped in to see have you are doing and noticed you haven't been here for a while.  Hope you are OK, please come back and let us know how you are doing  Sending positive vibs to you (((((Patootie)))))) 
  • Me too, Screamapillar. Just hope this doesn't mean she's feeling really rotten.
  • Hoping all's well

not that i'm much use !

• Waves weakly at everyone .. hello ... image

It's all been happening .. I never got over my January cold .. I went from bad to worse .. to bad again .. even now my sinuses still feel like they are filled with sludgy concrete image .. had to sit up in bed for a week or I couldn't breathe ..

On top of all that I've had computer probs .. (all sorted now thank goodness) .. and whilst lying propped up in bed (or sprawled in my recliner chair with blankets cuddled round me) .. for days on end I made some major life changing decisions image

So the cold is pretty much on the mend now .. but still got a horrible hacking cough .. and when I start coughing I can't stop .. it's really debilitating  image

And .. trumpet fanfare please .. I am moving .. I have applied for a sheltered housing apartment in Cambridge .. some of the reasons that helped me come to a decision were due to things I had said to me here in Runners World Forum ..  image

You see .. where I live I am stuck out in the wilderness .. no incentive to go out and do things .. nowehere to go even if I did feel like doing something .. in Cambridge there are lots of societies or clubs for disabled folks to be active .. I NEED that .. I WANT that .. I AM going to have it .. and to get all that I have to move .. so I've asked Social Services to come and assess me .. and I have also applied to a housing association for one of their lovely apartments .. ohh I do hope I get one of these .. it's just perfect image

Living in Cambridge I will only be a short disability scooter ride away from lots of things to do .. shops, museums, arts, theatre, shops .. and loads and loads of things .. mainline train station .. cheap taxis (unlike here where it's £20 each way into the nearest town .. ) .. I just KNOW I shall be much healthier, far more active and woohooo dare I say FITTER too ... image

Ohh my gosh it's going to be so hard to move .. I've been here 25 years .. but it's the right time to move .. I think I knew that .. but needed a shove from some friendly Runners World Forummers to start me thinking seriously about it .. thank you .. it was nothing specific .. but it just made me face up to things ..  although how on earth I am going to find the energy to pack, sell, give away everything I don't know .. and shop for the new place .. when I get it .. (and it could be weeks or months before I get offered a placement ) .. image

Thank you everyone who've posted to ask where I was image .. and very special thanks to  Chuggs, Screamy and Colin .. my HUGE apologies for 'ignoring' your missives .. when I finally got back online properly yesterday I had SO MUCH post waiting for me .. family and 'business' came first .. then thought I'd better pop my head in here to show I was still 'alive' ..  

Tired out .. sore headed .. red nose .. funny voice from all the coughing .. but now well on the mend .. image

• We all think of you Patootie

i just ain't that good with words that's all

• micknphil-marathonlads.co.uk wrote (see)

i just ain't that good with words that's all

Much better than you think ..  as I do believe it was your goodself with a few others who've prompted me to consider my future ... and I'm quite excited about moving from my rural 'idyll' to a city metropolis .. just not looking forward to the actual moving part ..

• YAAAYYYY!!! Great to see you back, Patootie! We were worried about you so it's good to know you're on the mend. But do take it gently, cos sinus infections are really, really nasty, and can make you feel absolutely unspeakable so rest up and get well!

And BIG congrats on your decision to move house!! It sounds like JUST the right thing to do now---being out in the country is terribly isolating when you can't get out much. But once you're in the town, as you said, so many new activities and people and interests will really be accessible to you. GOOD FOR YOU!

So any idea when this happens? With the bureaucracy involved I imagine it will take some time, but that will give you a chance to organise yourself quietly and little bits. Moving after 25 years in one place will take some doing (at least if you are the squirrel that I am, who keeps everything!) so it's no bad thing to have some time in hand to sort it out bit by bit.

You're still under the weather, clearly, so don't feel you have to post, but as soon as you feel up to it, do come in again and tell us how you are and how it's going---we've really missed you!!!

Here, have some of these: they help anyone recuperate faster!

((((((((((((((((((((Patootie))))))))))))))))))))

Note to Mick: Patootie's right: you are MUCH better than you think (with words AND a lot of other things)!!