Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

TT - my HR was also 88% of (estimated) max on the weekend (av. 174, and using highest observed HR of 196 for 'max'). However, my average for the Great Eastern Run last October was 181 or nearer 93%.  I think I put this down to an enforced massive taper for GER, i.e. it was my first run after 11 days of the lurgy.  I'm sure one of the HR gurus a while back (Cartman??) said something extremely clever about red blood cells and what happens when the heart hasn't been worked hard during a taper period, but I can't remember what the details were.  There's no way I could've maintained an average of 181 on Saturday. Incidentally, my average HR for the Dartford 10 - the first proper run after over a week's break because of skiing - was also higher than I would normally expect at 184/94% (slightly higher than I've typiaclly seen for 10Ks). Maybe my actual max is higher anyway?...

Not sure how/if this answers your question.  My conclusion on HR and race-pace: it's all very confusing.

• Options
    Olly - whatever you can observe about your own HR will be more useful than any formula, no matter how sophisticated the formula seems. The usual recommended test involves running up a hill a few times as hard as possible (after a warm-up) and seeing what your highest reading is, although I've found that the highest HR values I've ever seen have always been under race conditions. 196 is the highest, which was at the end of a 5,000m track race (absolutely wasted after a sprint finish with one other guy), also seen several readings in the range 193 - 195 during 10Ks, 10m race and interval sessions, so I can't be too far away.
  • Options
    Mines a bit of a guess olly,
    When I was fatter and didn't run outside I'd sometimes do intervals at the gym, and recall seeing something along the lines of 190+. When I got my garmin I ran with one of the clubs fast guys and held a pace that equated to 181 - 182bpm for 5 miles. Figured that this was threshold and that my max should be a fair bit above that. A few XCs I've got it to 189 without pushing too much, so I take it as been 193 or more. If I find myself in a gym I will do the proper test and repeat, apparently the second go gives the highest reading. there is a link to the test in the quick links section top left I think.
    Pugs general principle is correct though
  • Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Thanks i´ll try it tomorrow during intervals!
  • Options

JEJ and Marders, I've just spotted this photo on Flickr of you both yesterday. Marders is looking far too comfortable for my liking!

• Options

Well, there was good news and bad news for me this afternoon.  Good news: nice physio popped into my sports massage session for 5 minutes to have a look at my shin, as it didn't seem to have improved as much as I would have thought for a week of no running.  I described the slightly 'creaky' feeling I'd been getting in the front of the shin.  Physio groped my calf and felt the front of it while I flexed my ankle.  The bad news: it's tendonitis.  Final bit of good news is that he gave me 5 free minutes of ultrasound in between patients after my massage.  Final bit of bad news is that it doesn't seem to have made the blindest bit of difference.

<sigh> If it's tendonitis (having full fizzio session on Friday, when will get diagnosis checked) I can't see it sorting itself out properly soon enough.

Max HR is somewhere around 200.  Resting HR is about 40/45 these days.  Resting HR before a gym session is probably about 75 - the anticipation just kills me ;¬)

• Options

Evening all,

Not been on for a while and seriously impressed by the times being posted for the various HMs. I was feeling quite good about myself and looking for around 2.48 for FLM and not bothering with the HM warm up. I'm feeling a bit inadequate now and wondering if I should try and squeeze a HM in.

Anyone know of a HM in the next few weeks in the SE which is not likely to be full?

I became a dad for the 1st time 3 weeks ago and so far have managed to keep the miles going - apart from a race!

Is there one of Dull's lists anywhere with the runners and riders for the spring marathon schedule - I couldn't see one in the last half dozen pages.

Cheers. 

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    I think Hastngs HM is still open (16th March).
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    PS. Congrats on the new arrival BTW. Say goodbye to sleep!
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Looks like Tunbridge Wells is also still open. Ran this last year, nice race, one big hill at 8 miles, but last 3 miles are downhill.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    I see that TT won a county medal for his sterling PB run yesterday at Wokingham. Well done!
  • Options
    Joolska wrote (see)
    Just kidding - how gutting would it be to think you'd run a fantastic PB and then discover that wasn't the case at all?

My "10k" PB (by 50 secs, I think) was later found to be something like 100m short, and is recorded on AthleticsData as "Short10k". Yeah, it's pretty gutting.

Ran my long run scheduled for yesterday this morning instead: 24.3 miles at average 7:07-ish. 

• Options
    Congratulations, TT and good long run CL.
  • Options

Finished work "promptly", and managed to get 8 miles in, around one of the loops of the Glos Mara. Really happy that the pace kept going along at 6:50m/m as an average. I can also report that the hills from lap 3 have shrunk again. It was definitely harder work doing it straight out of the box rather than being in formation with the peleton. Righty ho, it's time to get my D2 into the bath now, as she's on my knee.

• Options

BEJ,

Re "IMO 32 flat for 10km is harder to accomplish than sub 71 - the former involves running quite fast, the later a more sedate pace for longer."

I love it ... 32 flat for 10k involves running "quite fast" and Sub71 HM is a more "sedate pace" !!

Mmmm, some on here (ME) may think both involve running 'VERY' fast. :¬)

WTGY,

my HR is also elevated at the start of runs, even at slow pace, i don't know the reason but think it may just be lack of warm up. Some recommend a dynamic warm up, i've never really bothered to see what difference it makes (if any).

• Options

My HR is usually low before races and doesn't level out for 2 mile... then it settles down. What this means I don't know, but over the last few races, I've done very long warm ups... and I've felt alot better in the race.

Pug image

• Options

RununMan - yes, but I wrote that considering the difference between a ~76s lap and an ~81s lap.  The former requires a fair bit more effort.  For me at least.  Perhaps that means I am a marathoner after all?

Rach - thanks for the link to the photo.  Looking very synchronised & in full flow whilst the guy behind seems almost static.  I think that was during the 5:12 mile whilst we were bridging the gap to Liz & co.  My mystery black shoes received some confused looks at the start line.

• Options

BEJ, only pulling your leg - i know what you meant!!

Jools, sorry to hear your bad news/bad news. Hope you get it sorted out soon as.

Pug, good to see you easing back into it with a slow 14miler !!

• Options

BEJ Well done on the run the other day, I know youv'e said to me none fo these are races, all just prep work and good to stick to your guns fella... pictures a cracker, although Marders you done weights on those thighs?

RununMan That is a slow run... I did that same run last year at 6:20 pace and felt alot easier than today hahaha... how times change... must be age that's all I can say image oh yeah, and sheer lack of ability image

Less than  9 weeks FLM now... and it's getting a little scary image think that in my current state, around 3:05 will be do-able come London and a good pace to go at...

Pug image

• Options

Well I will bet that the sub 3.00 thread will have the first sub 70 minute ½ at reading.  JeJ and marders times were great.

MTR you must be really pleased with you progression, if I remember correctly you ran the Nottingham marathon somewhere around 3.10 and now you are running ½ times which suggest you are capable of a 2.50-2.55 marathon…

TT, nice time on Sunday and congrats on the county medal, I am planning to start Reading at somewhere close to 5.50 mm, so we could start a tram image

I still marvel at the high heart rates you guys achieve, mine very rarely goes much above 160 and most of my running is done in the 125-140 range.  Which, as I am still 34, I have but down to either being one of the freaks for whom the age calculation doesn’t work or maybe the heavily assisted dance programme I followed from the ages of 18-25 really messed up my heart.

• Options
    PUG,

based on my 14miler at the weekend I'm thinking 5.03 will be do-able come London. 9 weeks is 'very' scary!!
  • Options

Comfortable Rach, I look asleep!

Just found this lot of pics to sift through too but not too many.  Managed to spot BEJ in a couple (not me though as I'm too short!) and there's an ok one of the view (well the front of the view at least) we had to put up with for a good 7 milesimage

say cheese

• Options

Hi, Some enviable times on this tread!!!!

Hope you don't mind my interjecting but I need some advice from some faster runners on race shoes? I'm sure my-old-mukka RB could help???

I've raced in ASICS DS Racers and more latterly Nike Vaporfly's for distances up to marathon. I similarly train in both ASICS GT21*0 and Nike Pegasus TC. Time however to try some Nike Marathoners! I wondered if anyone here raced in them and could advise how they fit. My Vaporfly's are 1/2 size smaller than the Pegasus TCs? Ordinarialy I'd go to a shop but cannot find any locally to try on.

I've decided the Vaporflys are really not perfect for 26.2 (I'm no fatty but no flyweight - Light Middleweight but only 172cm AKA 5'8").

Thanks BS AKA Bendy (Fan of Nike trainers? Cannot believe it myself!)

• Options
    Weights, what are they PUG?  Oh, they are those things in the gym by the treadmill aye.  Sorry to disappoint but they are just natural running legs...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hoo Yah !

Somones feelng better - popped out for a few and bagged 14.

10M in 74 min, 4 more at 6:30 per.

The last 4 were for RB and his radar gun !

And I deliver my own milk TT
  • Options

TR - I'll see your 14 and raise to 18 at &:30 pace. Which on top of yesterday's session I'm pretty happy with. Legs are mashed now though. Looking for an early night I think.

Tomorrow night's efforts may be "interesting".

• Options

Pug: I think that your HR connotations mean that you are, surprisingly, normal in the HR department. When it comes to FLM, why not just join in the 3:00 peleton for as long as possible and see if you can hang on? It's my aim.

Bendy: welcome aboard. I race in NZMarathoners, or Paulas as we call them. Because they have lovely soft toes I use exactly the same size as my day shoes, and they did brilliantly at marathon distance. And the red flash helps speed. FYI I'm 6'00" in old money and 11st 4lb at racing weight. Gobi also uses the same model shoe, but he's certifiable.

• Options

Bendy - That lovely and extemely useful Running Bhoy will be along at some point, he is your man for shoe questions.

A huge WELL DONE to the many pb'ers this weekend, superb stuff.

I must mention Marders, 7 f**ing minutes at that level is amazing; absolutely, totally and truly well done mate. Do you have a piccie without the bandana, I would love to see what's going on with your hair?!

BEJ - Never mind the shoes, what's with the shorts!!!!! Another super time though.

TippTop - You too!

Philpub - hoping you get a big (bigger) PB imminently, your progress has been amazing this last year. And you are always so darn cheerful! Sorry 'bout the frustrations of yesterday.

Just plodding on really myself, head down, getting on with the training.

Happy running all.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Cheers Blisters

Have worn Paulas for a 100km race

I also have Jasari which I wore for a marathon 2 weeks ago.

The Paulas are lighter but the Jasari is more comfy and a little more forgiving in the toe box

I also wear same size shoes as trainers 5ft 9 and 11st 7
  • Options

11 stone 7lb Gobi? You're almost as lardy as the Pug himself!

Don't tell me that you ate something today?