Running Clubs

Does anyone know of a plodder-friendly running club in the Manchester area? The only clubs I know of round here are Sale Harriers and the like and they scare me silly.

Comments

• Being a total novice myself (and not local) I don't know the answer to that, so apologies for "joining in" on your thread - but I would like to find the same sort of thing in the Guildford area.

Running clubs can be quite intimidating if everyone's so much faster than you, even if they try to welcome you.
  • How right that is. I keep putting off joining a club thinking I have to run a sub 50 min 10k first!
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Hi Bean Counter, for Manchester based running clubs try the following:-

www.noeaa-athletics.org.uk/clubs

Give some a ring. You should be able to find a club to suit you.

HTH.

• Hi all

I am a recreational runner and 5k is my longest distance - just got a pb of 29.03 at the Southampton Race for Life

No good for Manchester but maybe of interest for Guildford or anyone else reading this.

I go to a 'Run 4 Fun' club in Basingstoke.

see www.220training.co.uk

cost £2 per session Monday night drills, Wednesday nights long runs - anything from 3.5 to 6.5 miles

Linda who takes the group is really good and is a duathlon champion

I am a recreational runner and 5k is my longest distance - just got a pb of 29.03 at the Southampton Race for Life
  • Beckstrous

The South of England AA office on 020 8664 7244 will have a list of running clubs in that area.

For other parts of the country:

AA of Wales office: 01633 416633
    Midland Counties AA: 0121 452 1500
    Northern ireland AA: 02890 602707
    North of England AA: 0113 246 1835
    Scottish Athletic Federation: 0131 317 7320
  • For a quality Running Club in Lincolnshire
    Ropsley Road Runners
    WWW.Ropsley.Org.UK
    A large website with massive LINKS and RACE REVIEW areas.
    Over 70 race reviews. Add your own review of any race.
    Lots MORE!!!
    Several quality races including the famous ROPSLEY RAID 15 Mile Trail Race
    on December 1st

WWW.Ropsley.Org.UK
    ropsley@ntlworld.com
  • I know what you mean It wasn't until i did a couple of loacl races in East Yorks I realised not everyone is a seb coe or a paula radcliffe......

There are many people who run for the company and friendship.....and run like i do/did....My time for a 10k has come down to 54:31...not fast by most standards but many run at a steady pace......

Most will let you go and have a look round maybe even run with them for a training session to see if it's what you expect...

I joined East Hull Harriesr a couple of months ago and I went out with them for the first time two weeks ago and they made sure I didn't get left behind and I was ok as i was running a route i didn't know at all........It daunting at first as i only knoew a lady called tina from the summer league but it was good....

go and have a look see........
  • This may seem like a total numpty question from someone who has been running for only the past 4 months out of the previous 37 years, but what actually happens at running clubs ? what are the activities ? please don't reply with "running" ;)

is it mostly geared up to training/racing ?
    is there much simple recreational running ?

fyi i'm doing 5k in 30min and am gradually stretching my distances up towards 10k.

cfn
    dave
  • Training (go for a large club if you require structure)
    "Long runs" for the marathon season esp. pre London training.
    Lots of people better than you who if you run with them will get you up to their standard.
    Car share to races and target races to get lots of club members in one place.
    Meetings and after race pub meetings (Guiness power!)
    Otherwise plenty of drinking and having fun.
    Our club go to dog racing, have treasure hunt. Hare and houngs runs when enough people.
    And more!
    We are all out to enjoy running.
    Best Wishes,
    Chris
    www.ropsley.org.uk
  • Our club meets twice weekly formally but also we meet up for races and informally others run together on other days.

Our Tuesday summer sessions are based on training on a local grass track. We do all sorts from short repeated sprints, relays, 300m repeated runs.

Our winter Tuesdays and Thursdays meets are runs (inc fartleks) on local lanes and safe roads. Streetlit in winter.

I expect all clubs differ a little but I joined with a 32 min 5k having emailed the club coach first (I got the email address from British Athletics website).

Its a terrific source of help and inspiration for me so I would recommend you see if you can find a club locally and have a chat to them.

• Thanks for the feedback guys.
  • OK, you've done Guildford and Manchester, how about Dunstable? I've been dabbling at running for years, have never raced, once got good enough to do 10K long runs and hold a conversation all the way round (you can tell I am a beginner - I cant tell you the times I've done!) but can't seem to keep the motivation. Would a club laugh me off the streets? Or would a club have people like me as well? And if so, are there any in my area?
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Hi, I used to live in Luton and went to the Stopsley Striders. They run from the regional sports centre in Stopsley. I know it can be a bit of a nightmare driving from Dunstable to Luton but they always had a beginners group which did 30min runs at talk-pace and were really supportive of new runners. When I was going a couple of years ago they ran at about 7-30pm on Mondays and Thursdays.

Even if you don't want to go there, they may know of other clubs in Dunstable.

Hope that helps.
  • Liz,

2 months ago I joined a running club for the first time, I have been running more off than on for around 4 years, and have not done any serious running for 2years. I now run between 6-8 miles in approx. 1hr twice a week. I am usually the slowest, but I am working on that, they take it in turns to run with me, so they get some speed work in, they give me plenty of encouragement and advice, so no I don't think they would laugh you off the streets.
  • MikeyMikey ✭✭✭
    Hi Liz,

I'm not from your area, but you may want to look at:
    dunstable road runners club

I'm not sure that the link will survive intact. If not, I'll try again.

Mikey

• MikeyMikey ✭✭✭
    Liz,

as predicted, it didn't work :-(

Trying again:

Dunstable Road Runners

If that doesn't work, try manually entering the following address:

http://www.dunstableroadrunners.org/
  • I am a complete beginner and would like to find a running club in my area - potters bar in hertfordshire - any ideas?
  • Thanks for the info Mikey - have been away on holiday and only just got as far as logging back on - I'll have a look at their site and will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help!

Incidentally, I have worked up to 3.8 miles in 43 minutes since my last mail - I can actually catch my breath on the way round too, even though the circuit includes a very steep hill, so maybe I won't be quite so bad if I do join up!
  • Does anyone know of any good clubs in Cambridge?
  • How to start a running club if there isn't one in your town?
  • Hi there folks,

Are any of you members of clubs in the Bradford / Halifax areas? If so, any information would be lovely.

Doing the Bradford 10k on Sunday - hope to get around in about 70 minutes, but any faster would be nice too!

I am getting to the stage where I need to find someone to run with, otherwise I will just plod along like I am forever! I would like to get a little faster and manage longer distances...but at the moment I am enjoying it!

Thanks!
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    Laura

The only club I know of in Cambridge (apart from Uni ones) is Cambridge and Coleridge AC. They train at the University's Wilberforce Road track. I'm thinking of joining myself.
  • Will a running club drag my lazy buttocks out of bed at 5ish in the morning in the Cardiff area before work. Or am I doomed to my measily motivation.
  • I am looking to join a running club - anyone recommend any in the Islington, London area. I have entered a number of races including the Great South Run last sunday, but always have to do all the training and racing on my own - so it can often be difficult to motivate myself.
  • I am looking to join a running club in the Northampton South area, please can someone shout if they know of one!!

Thanks fellow runners!!

Tina Summers
  • Does anyone fancy getting together in the Bolton area for regular runs/training etc with a view to getting faster and being safe these dark nights
  • Gill Haywood - there's the Trent Park Trotters based, strangely, in Trent Park!
    I've done one of their 5ks in the past but had no other dealings with them. Might be worth checking them out. I don't know their address, but they are in the events list and do a 5k every month, just look up trent park.
    Good Luck!