I keep collapsing

Comments

• It's amazing how intricate and expensive the process is to save a life isn't it image

Hippo is right. 

• My doctor is very worried about Googling illnesses, as people go to his surgery and tell him what they've got, what he needs to do and what drugs they will need him to prescribe! image

Whilst some of the info online is no doubt accurate, some is very spurious indeed and it is always going to be difficult to determine the wheat from the chaff, without the benefit of the medical degree that you went to see the doctor for in the first place!

Super news you you got the full dose, Doug. Now keep well and let us know how you're doing. If the whole premise of the NHS is that people should be able to access the care they need free of charge, then you shouldn't worry about the cost. I would bet my mortgage that nobody on this thread begrudges someone like you their tax pounds.

Life is precious and people like you deserve every last bit of help that science can offer. So accept their expertise, our best wishes and prayers and carry on doing what you're doing! When you're well, you should get RW to do an article!

• Doug, you're worth it!

As a random aside - last time I went to the doctors, my GP googled my symptoms right there in front of me....

Not quite what I was expecting!

• I would far prefer my hard earned money being spent on saving lives, rather than to fund the cigarettes and alcohol brought with DSS money.  Its a shame we cant put more money into health care.  If £1000 goes on saving a life, then I am for this every time.  I cannot think of a better way to spend money, than putting it towards saving precious life. image

• Great news Doug, you are in inspiration to us all. Big hugs all round!!!
  • I love the NHS (despite its faults.)  That expensive injection has probably saved many lives as it enables courses of chemo to continue to be given by avoiding delays to treatment caused by neutropenia ( dangerously low white cell count). The white blood cells come in handy too !

Googling symptoms, ok under either of the following conditions

a - you are sufficiently qualified or sceptically minded to identify quack websites and proper researched information.

b - you are actively trying to scare yourself silly

• lol WTK - that is very true

Internet is brilliant - and a pain in the backside - so much useful stuff and so much rubbish

Im really glad its going OK for you Doug (((doug)))

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

I've only just spotted this thread.

Wow!!! What a fantastic "kick ass" attitude you have Doug.

All the very very best. 

• Hi folks,

I'm just back at base after a 3 mile walk round Richmond Park, coffee with friends, lunch etc. Despite my double dose of chemo on Friday, I feel pretty good.

I went to a cancer drop in centre on Thursday. It was a bit like an AA meeting (I'm a recovery alcoholic as well as an ex-smoker) and we all chatted. I said that it was easy to have a PMA if one wasn't feeling ill. It was commented by some of the assembled company that they thought that I'd have a PMA even if I was feeling grotty. They are very kind people.

I am just in awe of all the care and attention that I'm receiving and hope to be able to repay society in due course. I'm going to try for a charity place to run London Marathon 2009 for either Marie Curie or MacMillan. That's just a start.

I think that I'm learning a lot about life through having this illness.

Thanks again folks,

Douglas aka Leaping Wolfimageimageimageimage

• Ask me to sponsor you when it is all set up image

I shall be honoured 

• Thank you. Much appreciated.

I feel quite tired now; I probably overdid it on the weekend; the steriods give one a boost, but then one crashes.

imageimageimageimageimage

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

(Doug)), it sounds as if you've had to fight more than your fair share of battles along the way.

Glad that you're feeling well but don't forget to rest too - you're not (quite) superman you know! image

Count me in for the sponsorship too, it will be an honour.

• Me too image

Keep up the great attitude ((DJ))

• Doug, I hope you have a good week. it is true what you say about the steroids. i usually warn people that they may plummet in mood, appetite and energy when these stop. It often coincides with the peak effects of the chemotherapy as well, so you get a double whammy. Keep on keepin' on there.
  • Doug

I guess the chemo is a bit like a long run: You need to pace yourself.  Even when you're feeling great keep a little bit in reserve in case there's a tough hill to come!

Jiggi xx 

• Hope you're surviving this week OK. A bit of a downer maybe ???   As Jiggi says........think of it as a stage in a race -it will pass
  • Doug - it seems to me that your repayment to society is in the inspiration you are to others. You're doing it without realising it.
  • TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Hi Doug.  I was on another thread moaning about my sore leg and how it was really getting me down because I can't run and your thread was recommended to me.  I've just read through it and am humbled to the point of shame by your magnanimous attitude to what's happening to you right now.  Every time I am even vaguely tempted to feel sorry for myself I'm going to come on this thread and re-read your posts.  You're the most inspirational person I've (n)ever met and I echo everyone else in wishing you much love and a speedy return to full health.

I'm off now to check out this month's copy of Runner's World because I'm sure I skimmed past an article inviting readers to nominate their running heroes? I didn't read it at the time because I didn't think I knew of any.  I sure do now.....

• Hi Douglas, just been referred to your thread from my own. I've got breast cancer: Had the surgery and am now waiting for my Chemo to start. I want to keep active - whatever form that may be - or else I will go quietly mad. Funny enough I've already tried to put my name down for London Marathon 2009 -   I'm obviously thinking along the same lines. Glad to see I am not alone. I have a place for Edinburgh marathon this year and am still harbouring a desire to power walk it!

Look after yourself and see you at the starting line at 2009?

• Thank all for your kind words.

I've had a slightly rough week (bone pain and fatigue combined with being hyper plus insomnia); however, my rough week is relative. The stories that I hear from other cancer patients make my tale look like a walk in the park. I am truly humbled by the courage shown by some of the people that I meet and hear about. 

Someone told me that, whilst God may chuck bad stuff at one, at the same time he makes one strong enough to deal with it. It may sound strange, but , right at this moment, I am truly happy; and it's quite easy to be strong when one is happy!imageimageimage

Lorra, good luck and I hope that everything goes according to plan and that your prognosis is good. FYI I find I get huge amounts of well-meaning advice from friendsand some of it is slightly whacky. I wouldn't even take vitamin pills without clearing it with my doctor. Yeah, let's do London 2009.

To all you runners, I am convinced the relatively easy time (mentally and physically) that I'm having is partly due to my running. Running makes you fit; running makes you mentally strong.

And for the slower runners,

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭
    Hail Theodore, we are not worthy.  I'm going to have those words writ large on a page and pasted to my kitchen wall to read every morning.
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Thank you Doug.
  • Good  to hear from you Doug.

Hope you manage a better week with more sleep 

• it is kind of humbling when you start to open your eyes to what some people are up against.

hope you are feeling ok Doug, and Lorra, hope all goes well with your chemo.

best wishes

Kate

• Hear hear for the slower runners

take care doug

• Thanks for the kind words Doug. Got my chemo dates. Oncologist seems very supportive of continuing mild exercise - Research has apparently shown it to be very beneficial. Like your advice she has warned me off swimming - Too many bugs in water. Forgot to ask about cycling?

• Good luck Lorra and keep strong.  I wish you every ounce of luck with coming out on top and winning. x