Running vs cycling jacket

What are, generally speaking, the differences between a running and a cycling jacket?

I have a running jacket from Lidl, which I quite like, and was wondering whether to get myself  this Lidl cycling jacket, too. I only want to use it for running though, as I don't have a bike.

The other option would be this jacket, which is just labelled as a "sports jacket" without any specifications as to which sport it is tailored to.

What do you think? (Leaving aside the colour of the Lidl one - I'm sure they'll have other colours as well. image)

Comments

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    I'd wear a brightly coloured one for safety. I'd never wear black.
  • Surely fluoro yellow is the ONLY thing to be seen in at the moment.  It is certainly all the rage at my running club at the mo.... I am actually starting to like it which is quite worrying.
  • I thought a cycling jacket has an extended back to cover the buttocs when cycling in the rain but I would use it for running as well.
  • Cycling jackets sometimes have pockets on the lower back....and I have a cycling top I can't use for running because the bottom of it is slightly elasticated which doesn't give my thighs enough freedom.  I'm sure they're made of the same material though, so as long as you can move freely in them, I don't see there being a problem.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Can't get the cycling link to work, the sports jacket looks totally unsuited to running because of the cut.  

I can't see a problem with wearing black so long as you aren't running on the roads - I tend to run on the pavement or on paths or parks. 

• Thanks all!

Let's try the cycling jacket link again:

http://www.lidl.de/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_de/hs.xsl/index_37872.htm?detail=extensive

popsider, do you think the sports jacket is too tight, or what would be the problem with the cut?

As for colours, I really don't mind it being dark. If need be, I just wear fluorescent bands on top of my clothes (the kind cyclists use to prevent the bottoms of their trousers from getting caught in the spokes). My remark with regards to colours was just a joke really. image

• It looks too restrictive in the cut, how about something like this.....bargain! Very bright though and I was told I looked like a council worker..I said better than looking like a dead body in a body bag....!

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/RON213/ron-hill-hi-viz-run-bike-jacket-
  • clottedcream wrote (see)

popsider, do you think the sports jacket is too tight, or what would be the problem with the cut?

Personally, I wouldn't want pockets in the chest area for fear of chafing from the zips over a prolonged period of time.  The jacket also looks as though it might have elasticated cuffs and hem, which I would feel restricted in.

However, all this is personal to me - the next person may well not be as picky (well, probably isn't - I'm a fussy cow!). 

Startfitness.co.uk is always worth a browse...maybe something like the one at the bottom of this page (if you are a woman - if you're a man, I do apologise!!):

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/acatalog/WomensRonhillClothing.html

Under a tenner!!  They also have a clearance section, sorted by size.

• Uuh, Longs - that is really bright indeed... image

Debbie, that's a great website - thanks for linking it. The jackets I had been looking at were still cheaper than the ones on startfitness, but it's def something to keep in mind for when I've got a little money more again.

• Running jackets, elasticated at the wasit. Lightweight and normaly in bright coluors.

Cyclejackets. Cut so more coverage on the ar*e. arms are longer so you can lean over the bike, pockets at the rear for bike kit and normaly more heavy at the front as lined to stop wind getting at your chest, thus should cost more than the same level of running jacket.

Buy a £9 JJB fluro jacket if you need a cheap running jacket. Mine has lasted 2 seasons.