Options

Compact Rice Cooker

I've just found this compact rice cooker has anybody got one, used one or have any opinion's.
I eat a lot of rice but like my food within 30min of finishing my run. Brown rice takes 30-35 min & I thought this might be a good idea!

Comments

• Options
    I have a rice cooker, although I dont think its a compact one, i use it quite a lot

Very very handy, as I just throw everything in

and its eatable really quick
  • Options
    DDP.. what do u mean by 'everything' ?
  • Options
    i dont go for just boring rice, if I want to add veggies etc, I just add 'em from the start and hey presto

Also add any flavourings from the start

Works nicely though for just plain boiled rice
  • Options
    DDP, Can you time it to start & stop.
    Oh what make is yours?
  • Options
    can you not stick some rice on before you go out to run Tim ?
  • Options
    Shortest run is longer than 35min though.
  • Options
    Big Tim, going to kitchen to check, its by a company called cookworks, 'twas a present, but I know it was bought in Argos

Mine sorts out the timing for itself, just put it on 'cook' mode, but it also has a 'warm' mode, which keeps it warm, but not continueing to cook, untill required

It is definately worth getting one, if you like rice

Rice needs to be well washed tho, prior to cooking
  • Options
    u could always plan a run that involved passing ur house 30mins before the end to turn the pan on! this would be cheaper:)
  • Options
    DDP, I've found yours at Argos website.

WL, I built an extension on my house designed with running in mind! not worried about a few quid on this.

Besides, sometimes I don't know where I'm going or for how long! :-)
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Why bother with a special cooker?

Just measure your required amount of rice in a pan with exactly double the amount of cold water (both rice and water measured by volume in a jug, NOT by weight on scales), bring to boil, cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes. Whole process takes less than half an hour.

This works with basmati BTW.
  • Options
    Another alternative is to cook a load the day before and keep some in the fridge. Then when you want it just add a few veggies and zap in a pan or microwave.... and that'd take you all of about 5-mins!

Oh, also if you keep the lid firmly on the pan while you're cooking (without peeking every 5mins) it'd act as a pressure cooker and the rice will actually take less time to cook. Have to experiment with how long as obviously different types of rice have different cooking times.

Now that I've started (you can tell that food is a subject dear to my heart... and stomach!), have you tried couscous or bulgar-wheat? Both are a bit kinda like rice, only don't take half the time to prepare. I've also heard that quinoa is really good too, but haven't got around to trying that yet.
  • Options
    I love my rice cooker, it is brilliant for when you have been out for a run, ie prepare it before you go and then switch it on as soon as you get back, by the time you have stretched cooled down and change you have perfectly cooked rice and no over boiling saucepans to watch out for... go for it Tim you won't regret it!!
  • Options
    I absolutely agree Spans. I use my rice cooker loads. I always make a mess when i cook rice in a pan but it's perfect in the rice cooker. I have a small one that makes just enough for 2 people.
  • Options
    Growing up in a chinese household where we ate rice as part of our meals everyday, my mum ALWAYS had one!

And she has a spare one under the stairs!

It would be total panic otherwise if the current cooker flipped out and there wasn't a spare!!!

No rice, whaddaya mean no rice tonight!
    :0)

It also cooks rice perfectly so that you can make egg fried rice! Yum!
  • Options
    I'm off to Lakeland [website] shopping.

Thanks for all the feedback!

MT, I like cous cous, millet & bulgar wheat. The quinoa is in the cupboard but I hav'nt tried it yet.
  • Options
    I didn't know these things existed !

Not another accessory for the kitchen. At this rate the candy floss maker and popcorn maker might have to be put away !
  • Options
    I eat lodas of rice and it was always starchy and soggy until my mum (yes - they always know best) showed me a way similar to Mutley/Marzipan Treefrog's.

Heat tiny bit of oil in bottom of pan

One Cup Rice
    One Cup water
    little salt

all straight to pan.

Cover and seal (with a heavy lid or weighton lid) then leave for ten minutes on low-middle heat (first time you are doing it make sure it is just simmering nicely after a couple of minutes).

Leave this for appx 10 minutes then remove from heat stand for 5 then serve.

not failed yet and it never takes half hour to cook.

Rice maker sounds easier though...

Andy
  • Options
    I just put the rice in a bowl with boiling water to cover it plus a bit and shove it in the microwave for 10 minutes. let it stand, drain the starchy water and wash with more boiling water, then it's ready to use or put in fridge or freezer for later. To defrost lump of frozen cooked rice, just pour boiling water over .
  • Options
    angela (or anyone else in the know)- pleeeeeeease, how do you make good egg fried rice?
  • Options
    Hey Dangly Spice.. that's a really good idea! I use my microwave all the time, but hadn't thought about cooking rice in there.
    Will def give that a try.
  • Options
    MM ✭✭✭
    I've got a microwave rice steamer which you can use for veggies and fish etc too. You can get them all over the place for about a fiver - anywhere that sells kitchen stuff!
    I swear by it as for some unknown reason I can't cook rice successfully on the hob.
  • Options
    Moosey,

I can cook egg fried rice but I don't know if it's any good. I'll eat almost anything!! :0)

What I do is:

Have your rice cooked. It can be hot or cold from the fridge or whatever. But it has to be dry, not soggy.

Heat up the wok, add some oil and wait until hot. Crack open eggs and fry them in the oil. Mixing quickly, keep the stuff moving. Then add your rice, breaking it up in the wok, keep mixing and stirring to incorporate the rice and egg. Add seasoning, a bit of salt, some sugar and some soy sauce. Keep everything moving by stirring. Sometimes, I sprinkle some of a vegetable stock cube to add more flavour. Also at this stage, you can add other goodies to your rice, like cooked shrimps, shredded chicken or shredded roast pork, duck, beef, peas, mushrooms, spring onions, almost anything I guess.

It's very quick and easy.

So that's how I do it!

Hope that helps.

Angela.
  • Options
    cool, thank you, will try it for tea tonight and let you know!!
  • Options
    Just used my new rice cooker for the first time. no fuse no mess perfect rice!
  • Options
    hey, Big Tim, you've got it cracked, rice for evermore
  • Options
    Where did you get it in the end Tim?
  • Options
    Lakeland. Very good service