The best organised race

I would like to nominate the London to Brighton race for a 'Best Orgnised Race of the Year' Oscar, if such a thing existed. There can't be many races which have such well equipped feed stations, accurate mile markers, give a medal at the end, lay on a meal, provide transport back to the start, send a quality photo and certificate along with a full set of results including the split times. You even get the option of buying a video of it! Flora London Marathon eat your heart out! Who would you nominate for the Oscar for Best Organised Race?

Comments

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    2 for me

Paddock Wood 1/2m
    New Forest marathon

No major reasons why, they just did the basics right on the whole, though Tunbridge Wells 1/2m was also well-organised if memory serves me well.
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    The inaugural Baxters Loch Ness Marathon.

Being bussed to the start in the middle of nowhere was a novelty. Hot meal, soup, drinks and even a bar at the finish. A goody bag that probably cost the entry fee to put together - including Medal, mug, T Shirt, Energy Bars, Noddle Soup!, Chutney!(still enjoying that one).

2 Drinks stations every 2.5-3 miles, one for water & one for Lucozade sport.

This probably won't beat Ian's nomination for the L to B; but it's got to be up there.

They even managed to keep the rain away and make the sun shine. Brilliant !!!
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Another vote for New Forest, although I've only done the half.
  • So what are our criteria for a good event?

- advance info & easy booking process
    - signage near the event & car parking
    - number/quality of toilets at start/end
    - baggage safety
    - on the day registration process & speed
    - clear starting line with room for the slower runners to actually get to the back, or accurate time zoning for larger races
    - starting on time
    - wide enough open road/space for first, say, 400-800 metres for people to settle down
    - clear lead vehicle/motorbike is possible for leading runners (ideally with official time showing)
    - directional signs & marshalls at all junctions/turns
    - well briefed marshalls who know how to control runners & traffic and also what to do in an emergency
    - medical services available throughout race
    - accurate distance markers at every mile/km as appropriate
    - clearly marked finish line
    - sufficient funnels to avoid queueing before finish line
    - prompt, accurate time & position recording
    - lots of readily & quickly available water for runners at end
    - medical services available at end of race
    - contents of goody bag for finishers
    - changing facilities
    - refreshments available after race
    - prompt announcement of official times/placing
    - if appropriate, clear good quality photos of finishers which are delivered when they say they will be
    - smiling organisers/marshalls/helpers

Strewth we don't look for much from a group of largely volunteers who give up their own running time so we can have prance around do we?