Options

Beginner-based marathon advice with Mike Gratton

Comments

• Options

Quickquak,

I think you need to make allowances for the skiing and not try to cram in the long runs. You will retain fitness by skiing so there is no panic. The only thing to watch is that your muscles get their running tone back and you don't rush out the door after returning from your holiday.

At this stage I would go for a quality long run rather than worry about the distance as the final run 2 weeks out - any run of 2 to 2.5hrs would be ideal starting slowly and then picking up with the last 30mins at MP.

• Options

Waytogo,

The long runs look fine particularly if run as progressive runs finishing at MP.

I still think some speed work is needed and you might try to long reps or threshold running which would be less intense than shorter speed work. Try warming up and doing 2 x 10mins at Half Marathon pace with about 3 mins rec. Extend this to 2 x 15 mins then 2 x 20 mins and finally 1 x 40mins at Half Mara pace.

• Options

Running towilfs,

The important thing is time on feet and not total distance of your long run. The adaptations you are looking for to build endurance start to come through after 90 mins to 2hrs and running further doesn't substantially increase the training effect.

There is a case for doing a longer run for confidence but make sure it is at least 3 weeks before the marathon.

• Options

Clive,

At this stage I would go for quality of your training rather than trying to cram long runs - you'll get most short term gain from training at or faster than MP.

Have you tried massage for your calf muscles?

• Options

Hi Mike,

I was going to run the Hastings Half, but due to work commitments I couldn't do it. The trouble is, I was going to use the race as a guide to judge where I am fitness-wise and at what pace I should attempt the FLM. I now haven't raced for a while and I'm in two minds as to  what pace I should go for. I ran the Canterbury 10 in 1:19:07 back in Jan and the Thanet 20 in 2:50:32 in early March. The Thanet 20 I didn't really race, although it was faster than a training run. Do you have any advice?

Thanks for your help.

• Options

CrazyLady,

I would say that 4.30 is within your capability and I would start out with the 4.30 pacer and see how it goes - if they do it properly then it is your best chance of a controlled and correct pace.

• Options

Dalesgirl,

There is a high risk of failure if you set out too quickly in an attempt to get time under your belt anticipating slowing at the end.

The quicker you run at the start the more glycogen you will use and the earlier you will run out and be forced to slow as the body starts to burn fat exclusively.

The most efficient way to run the marathon I would suggest is an even pace or slightly faster first half since there is a drop in altitude in the early miles of FLM. However, it can be hard to achieve because of the crowding at the start and early miles so it may be that this will slow you enough for a negative split to become the outcome.

• Options

Jack-jack,

If you have followed the schedule closely you will have sufficient background not to decondition dramatically from reduced training.

You need to work with your physio to get help in managing training load in respect to rehab of the injury as it is important that you are actually able to start.

• Options

Hi Jane,

As you can see I'm back from the Algarve now as well.

Well done with your training down there and good luck at FLM - look forward to your visit to our stand at Expo.

• Options

Hi Alison,

You need to keep in touch with your GP about your general health recovery and the effects of the antibiotics - but from a getting around point of view - you willimage

• Options

Bootsie,

Don't worry about missing training this late on unless it is because of a medical problem - sorry ankles will clear up and most training now is topping off and contributes to only a small % of your fitness compared to what you have accumulated so far in the bulk of your work.

• Options

Keith,

It does look like a 3.15 is possible but is a big step forward. Why not compromise slightly and go out at 3.20 and pick it up after the early miles if all seems to be going well.

• Options

David Smith,

I think you should keep using the sports drinks as you are. Your body will not rely on them and stop making its own glycogen stores - it will grab onto carbohydrate from any source if it needs it.

The most important thing on race day is to make sure your liver store of glycogen is at its max by carboloading in the last 48hrs, then sip small amounts of sports drink up to the start and then small amounts regularly during the race to keep topped up.

The biggest benefit of the sports drinks is the minerals which will help you keep hydrated rather than the small amount of sugar in them - if you need a better sugar boost use gels every 30 mins of the race.  

• Options

Hi Grolly

My preference at this stage is for the last long runs to always finish at MP so that your body gets used to the 'feel' of the pace and the muscle is left with memory of MP rather than a jog.

Maybe go for a short walk around the block at the end of the run rather than more slow running - I honestly don't think you need a warm-down after a long run but you do need to gently stretch to recover full length in the muscles.

• Options

Faithfulred,

Difficult to judge from those to results but it suggests somthing around 4hrs to me but best to look at some of the pace predictors and see what is suggested.

• Options
    DaveNDaveN ✭✭

Mike,

apologies for repeat post, but I think my question got lost in the crowd!

The question is whether to race the Asics Kingston Breakfast Run hard or not?

I have actually run Kingston several times before (March and also the autumn version) and would love to break my 2:06 pb. I am in good shape for this having run 1/2 marathon pb at Wokingham a few weeks back. When I did FLM 2006 the Kingston 16 was 3 weeks before, so was perfect for long & hard session, but I am wondering if 2 weeks before is too close for racing it. I am not really thinking of dropping down to the 8.2 mile race though, the question is whether to race it hard, which is what I really want to do, or to try a controlled marathon-pace run. Advice on this would be appreciated (fyi - did 3:52 for FLM 2006, and aiming for 3:40 this year, though 1:38 half suggest maybe I should be able to go closer to 3:30 even).

Thanks for all the advice to others - even reading the ones that don't really apply to me adds to the anticipation and excitement image

• Options
    Thanks very much Mike for your time and advice.
  • Options

Thanks Mike!

Appreciate your assistance!

this may be a bit of an unusual one, but what's the go with...erm...needing to go? By the time i reach about 2hrs on any run i'm busting. is this just an issue for when i stop and i won't notice for the full marathon? or am i stuck having to line up for whatever facilities are at the side of the course? i'd really rather not have to stop at that stage... (nor do I wish to try what I heard Rob DeCastella say he did - ie; a crafty 'washdown' with water from a waterstation)

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike good advice as always
  • Options

Hi

FLM will be my first and up until a week ago my training had been excellent.  I reached 20 miles two weeks ago, but over the last week, something weird has happened.  I'm OK for the first 10 miles, and then I just lose it completely.  Last week and this week, I have only managed 15 miles and 16 miles respectively (setting out to get to 21 and 22- which would be my max distance), but I just run out of steam.  I seem to to have overcome lower leg discomfort that I was suffering from, but on these last two occasions I have felt very tight-chested and lethargic. 

At this stage, it has completely destroyed my confidence and I'm really concerned that there is something wrong that will prevent me from completing on 13th April.  My objective is to complete the course is about 5 hours, but if this time slips, then it's no problem.

What are your thoughts ?

Colin

• Options

Hello Mike

I am completing my second FLM this year (last one 2000).  I am not a fast runner, I completed last marathon in just over 5.30 and it took 2 years before I ran again!!!  

That now being a long distant memory I have taken up the challenge again - I have been trying to follow the running schedule - partly following the 4.30 schedule.  I did a 20 mile run last Sunday (16th) and plan about similar distance this week.  I felt brilliant on run - even tho I had to endure horizontal rain and wading through "puddles" knee high.  My Dad (who has run several marathons) tells me I should start tapering now - as I will not recover in time.  I recovered brilliantly this week and was able to run okay - I really want to try and get 2 long runs in.  

I would love to complete it in under 5.00 - hoping that being older, wiser and a tad fitter will help!

I would really appreciate your advice - my Dad forgets I am not the fast 2.50 marathon runner he once was and I don't tend to do as many miles during the week as perhaps I should.  Excuse time: I have three children, gone back to college and hoping to go to uni in september to train to be a paramedic - so life is a tad busy!!  But run as much as I can to help unwind and spend time on my own.  

I have enjoyed reading these posts and found many of them have helped. 

Cheers

Mylena 

• Options
    I have a similar wonder about Kingston next weekend - I'm aiming for sub 4 - second FLM - and as all PBs have been smashed on the way this time I'd love to do some damage to my 16mile time....but - this year its only 2 weeks out.....so - maybe I just do it at MP .....thoughts? Thanks..... just getting dressed to go out for 22 wish me luck...!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Mike, much appreciated, and I've found it really useful reading all your words of wisdom on here image
  • Options
    HampoHampo ✭✭✭

Hello Mike

I need a bit of advice, over the last 3 weeks i have various colds and have missed quite alot of speedwork but managed my 2 x20 LSR and a 16 mile run. I am running the FLM and i am not sure whether to concentrate on sppedwork and taper 10 days before or still put in another lSR. I have a 1/2 marathon race on the 30th. Aiming for 3.45. Any ideas please mike

• Options

Dear Mike

Running the FLM for the first time this year. My running was going really well until I did the Crowborough 10km in December when I started to have trouble with my it band on my right leg.  With regular visits to the sports therapist and rolling and stretching my legs I managed to get on top of it and was running without any pain.  I did the Brighton half marathon in February and started to feel the it band in my left leg.  Again I had regular massage and was rolling and stretching my legs.  A week later I went down with flu and tonisillitis which wiped me out for just over a week.  I started back cross training but as soon as I started running the pain came back in my left leg - I have been cross training and power walking since.  My longest run so far is the half marathon.  Am planning on doing a 16 miler this weekend as I need time on my feet and mentally I need to do a long run.  Do I need to try and fit in a longer run as well?  or should I just carry on cross training?  I want to get to the start line pain free!!

• Options

DaveN,

I would run it as a progressive run - do the first half in a controlled fashion and then run second half at MP - it will give you a good work out without running the risk of not recovering in time for FLM.

• Options

Archibald,

I'm guessing that it is a problem with stopping as that is when the blood returns to your organs and they wake up so you should be OK after 20.

• Options

Colin,

It sounds like you may be carying an infection or have a bit of a cold that hasn't come out. A few days off won't hurt at this stage if you are still not feeling 100% - as you are now entering the taper phase it may be that the reduced training load will help but really don't worry too much as the work has been done.

• Options

Mylena,

As a general rule any training done will have an effect in approx 2 weeks time - therefore a long run done now will have benefit and as well as the physical effect the pyschological one is very important too.

• Options

Andrew J,

As in my previous reply about Kingston - I suggest a progressive running doing the second lap at MP.