Resting Heart Rate...

Just a bit of general advice from you guys...

I run three times a week using my heart rate monitor, keeping myself between 70% and 80% for about an hour. I feel much better as a result, although I had a few red faced runs to begin with!

The thing is, although I have normal blood pressure, and I am overweight but healthy, before I started running I was a smoker and drinker and I had a resting heart rate of about 65. In the last three weeks since I started running it has dropped to 42, after a total of about 6 runs. I jogged into the chemist the other day before a run and was having a chat with the man in there and I looked down and my heart rate was at 45.

These figures are correct, I had a medical about 4 years ago and it was 48 then. I also after a few weeks have a hard time getting to sleep on my left hand side because my heart has become a lot louder... still the same 40-45 beats a minute, but, as if it's bigger, somehow.

Am I weird? Should I see a doctor? There's never been any medical history of heart attacks in my family, there's not been a single blood relation that has had any heart complaints at all, even the ninety year olds. What I'm worried about is if I run for the next few years, hammer out some interval training sessions and lose the three stone that my BMI says I should lose, where will my heart rate end up?

Any knowlege anyone has that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• whats wrong with that?

its normal;

you are fit

end of story

• Low resting heart rates are generally associated with high levels of fitness, but a friend's father has a very low heart rate that is symptomatic of a medical problem rather than due to fitness. Sounds like it has come down quickly (comparing it with my PT clients who generally have a smaller improvement over a longer period). I'm not an expert, but I'd get it checked if you have concerns.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

My wife has a very low RHR and occasionally gets dizzy when she stands up, but if you are having no ill effects don't worry.  I thought everybody got that thing where you hear your heart beating?

Your heart will be "bigger" in that it is getting stronger, that is why your RHR drops, it is pushing the same amount of blood around in less beats.  Also your body will be more efficient in extracting oxygen from the blood as it passes round the body.

• I have a low resting heart rate too - around about 48 bpm, have done quite a bit of cycling, running, climbing etc.  On the whole I think it is a result of fitness - however I have experienced bouts of dizziness, which sometimes cause a little anxiety / over consciousness of heart beat.  Probably best checked out says me who hasn't bothered - though having said that if I'd jogged to the chemist I would be very concerned to see my heart rate at only 48 - so think I would have been for a check up.  A low resting heart rate is one thing, but a heart rate of 48 after, even a short, jog sounds like it could do with being checked up on   
  • Also have a fairly low resting heart rate. But I have quite low blood pressure too and occasionailly have dizziness and what I call 'over loud' heartbeat but had mine checked by doctor and told provided it didn't make me feel very unwell as any time then probably was result of good fitness levels.  Also now and again would feel quite nauseous after a long run and told this was due to stopping too suddenly (make sure its a gradual process and not grindng to a halt when you've reached the front door!)

But, as has been said before, get yourself checked out if in any doubt, everyone is different and what is ok for one runner could be a different ball game for another.

• stemakastemaka ✭✭✭

Iv'e been an athlete all my life.I spent 20 yrs cycle racing then the last 8 yrs as a runner and a cyclist.I am now 43 and i still have a resting heart rate of about 40 bpm.

I must admit though for your heart rate to drop to 42 bpm within the space of 3 wks seems a bit odd.It should usually take much longer than that,wks if not months or longer.

So getting yourself checked out sounds like a good  idea.image