Weight Gain!?

Hi all. I'm in my 4th week of training. I've managed to put on 4 pound!! I've always been slim-ish but over last 3 yrs have struggled to lose weight. I'm 34, 5'4" and 10st 10 at the mo thanks to my weight gain! When will I start losing weight? My diet is very balanced and I am not a big drinker. Losing enthusiasm and patience. Anyone else had this issue?

Comments

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Ditch the scales and get a tape measure.  Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat, a pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same, but muscle is DENSER.  This means that a pound of fat is smaller in size than a pound of muscle.  Thats where the confusion comes in

When you first start exercising you will see the fat deminish and the muscle develop and this is what make you weigh more, even though your clothes will probably be looserI

ncreased exercise can make you hungrier so you still need to watch what you eat.   High carb/low fat foods are ideal for running, traditional pasta, bread potatoes etc are good but be careful what you put on them.  Lots of fruit and veg will give you lots of energy.

• How much exercise are you doing? I read somewhere that each pound of flab needs about 3000 calories of exercise to get it off, and each mile is only about 100 calories, so you need 30 miles per pound of flab. I only start loosing when I'm over 25 miles a week as that's the point that the outgoing through exercise exceeds the incoming. And I eat more when I'm running!
  • XorroXorro ✭✭✭

I'm about the same as you Emma, on week 4 now. started off at 12st, weight now fluctuating between 11st 6 and 11st 10, have lost 2.5 inches from my hips and about and inch from each thigh.

Have also cut back on crisps and Guinness!

It's weird how you can tell total strangers how much you weigh! lol 

• What do you look  like in the mirror?

Also have you started eating more due to your increased activity levels - and over doing it?

• Ive been doing the usual build up, first week run 60 sec, walk 2 mins and now in week 4 am doin run 60 sec and walk 2 mins 8 times. In addition to this I am doing cross training and swimming! The running 4 times a week and on the rest day swimming or fast walking

Hear what you're saying Xorro, my weakness is a drop of the ol black stuff too! Its HELL!! I know I shouldn't weigh myself but being a woman its compulsive. I was 10 st 7 this morning!! I can feel things tightening thats for sure but was maybe wanting something a little more drastic. Maybe I'm too impatient?

I'm not eating more in fact I'm eating more healthier and less!

• Ditch the scales and get a tape measure.  Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat, a pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same, but muscle is DENSER.  This means that a pound of fat is smaller in size than a pound of muscle.  Thats where the confusion comes in

Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. You cannot say that something is denser and not heavier - one implies the other - basic physcis I'm afraid.

1 cm3 fat = 0.9g

1 cm3 muscle = 1.1g

You cannot talk about the weight of something without first defining it's volume. Weight doesn't exist as an undefined unit.  Denisty does - it's a weight per unit of volume. You multipy the density of something by it's volume to get it's weight THEREFORE higher density ABSOLUTELY IMPLIES higher weight. Because you can ONLY compare the weights of two items after first defining their volume. 

The thing is, of course, that you don't build muscle that easily and so telling someone they are heavier after exercise because of this, is not true as it is rarely down to the muscle mass they have build. sadly.

The weight increase is undoubtedly down to you eating a little bit more - it's really easy to do when you start working much harder than normal. It's your bodies response to all the extra output and of course, to play safe, your appetite will increase by more than your bodies actual needs. Ain't biology wonderful.

• Emma,

It took me a 4 or 5 weeks before the weight started to come off. Stcik with it and you will start to see results.

• Pharmascience Health Gainer for Weight gain
    Mens need many calorie requirements that many men have proves to be incredibly trying Pharmascience health gainer a weight gainer makes this far easier. If you consider the fact that there are weight gainers available that pack in over a thousand calories per shake .
    For more visit
    PHARMASCIENCE – THE INDIAN AYURVEDA
  • Yeah, let's necro these threads with, what is presumably, an ad for weight gain shakes? That'll come in handy on a running forum :smirk: