Rotterdam Marathon 2008

Comments

• Well I don't know about you guys, but I'm super psyched about this race.  This training season has been my best so far with tons of mileage and PR's in the 5k, 4 mile, 1/2 marathon and hopefully next week the 10k.  Is this a portend of things to come?  Am i actually going to finally get a marathon PR???? Well now I'm jinxing myself, so I'm screwed.

Anyway, doing 17 miles tomorrow (semi long run) and will do this very slow. (don't want to risk injury at this point and doing it fast will not help me at all).  Then it's the Dublin 10k next Sunday and then THE RACE the following Sunday.

Hope everyone is getting pysched!

-Neil

• I haven't had my pack yet, but I emailed and they said don't worry, we know you're in. Perhaps turning up with ID will be sufficient. (Required to carry it anyway in the Neths, I think)

I'm at Kingston tomorrow too. Worrying a bit about parking.

But currently watching the Boat Race with legs aching in sympathy. Go Cambridge!

HB

• Bleak! Was so hoping Cambridge would take it. Very cool to see my old training ground, have run that towpath many, many times!

Successful last long run completed this morning in Richmond Park. 16 miles in 1:55. Now it's a bit of speed work tomorrow at the Wimbledon 10K. Anyone else doing it?

Good luck at the Kingston run tomorrow HB. Enjoy the last long one Neil.

Man I'm amped for Rotterdam. Can't wait to get on the plane.

Still want to punch that Oxford cox.

• That's it! Last hard run done and dusted image Hope you had a good run at Kingston too, HB.

Found the pace a bit tricky, so I was a bit faster than I planned but nothing too suicidal. Had to hold myself back a couple of times when being overtaken but eventually did 16 in 3:06:30. The rest of today will be recovering on the sofa, treating myself to a beer with dinner and an early night to make up for only getting 4 hours sleep last night.

Not sure how to approach the race on the big day. Part of me thinks I should just go for it as I've had some good times leading up to this so it's tempting to think I could get a PB. The more sensible part of me remembers that I was doing less than 10 miles a week 3 months ago and how hideous Berlin was when that went wrong. Maybe I should just see how I feel when I get to the start line?

2 weeks to go! image

• Hmm. Glad to hear you had a good run Little Nemo. Mine not so good. Lots of lessons for a newbie, so I am glad I did it - this was double my furthest race before.

Had hip problems again. Going to go to see the scary physio again, tomorrow if I can. I finished in 2.58 or something. Quite proud of the second half simply for carrying on...

I too was reminded how hard it is not to go to fast at the start. So my strategy will be to stay as far back as possible, start sloooow, and run my own race - the only thing I really wanted to do this time around is run all the way and not walk/ run, and to finish.

• Ran the Kingston 16 mile yesterday, my last long run before Rotterdam.

Learnt that I can pace myself so long as I start in the middle of the pack rather than my usual place close to the front.  If I can carry on at a similar pace then I should be ok for my predicted 4:20 marathon time.

Used a gel for the first time, not sure how much good it did and tasted disgusting.  Will have to take time and try some other flavours.
  • I find gels amazing! I've learnt that you need to take them before your body actually feels like it needs it. I've also found that once I've started taking them, I need to keep taking them every 20-25 minutes. I usually use around 3 or 4 for a half marathon and around 6 for a full marathon. I also think it's key to have them with water so I usually try time it that I swallow one just before a watering station.

I wouldn't suggest going 'gel crazy' if you haven't trained or raced with them before. That said, they're a phenomenal boost, even if it's simply a mental one.

My confidence is at an all time high. After my long 16 miler on Saturday I ran a new 10km PB at the Wimbledon 10K yesterday. 40:23!

Enjoy the decrease in mileage. Up that carb intake and gets lots of rest. The hard work is done and it's time to work on the mental aspect of the marathon. (Hence this running coach themed post!)

I've got 3:30 stuck to the top of my screen just so I don't forget the goal. From now until 3 and a half hours (hopefully) after the starting gun, it's positive thoughts only!

Breathe with me...positive in, negative out, positive in, negative out!

Ha ha ha ha : )

• 40:23 is great Troy.  I'm doing the Dublin 10k this Sunday and I'm aiming for a PR as well (42min would be nice).

Let's hope we all get PR's on lucky dayn the 13th!

-Neil

• Good advice TS, and well done on your PB. I like your breathing mantra - I'm going to give it a go on the start-line when I get nervous!

I've got my goal as my screen saver and a map of the course pinned up on my desk. Over the next couple of days I'll work out the splits I need for my 3 different plans. Nothing worse than trying to work out what times you should be aiming for on the fly if it's all starting to go pear-shaped!

Hope you're feeling better now, HB. Well done on finishing.

13 days to go image

• Glad everyone's positive, happy and doing well image

I'm also getting a bit giddy.  No idea how the race will pan out for me, training's been a bit erratic but I have no expectations (although a sub 4 would be massive), so we'll see.

Am away with work again but had the chance for a 5 miler in the Arizona desert this morning...interesting but hot!  Another week of those runs and lots of swims and I should be all ready to go!! 

• Is everyone tapering nicely?

You're v. well travelled, H! Is it exciting running in lots of different countries?

I was hoping I might have a chance to try out shorts and a vest on Sunday but the weather looks dodgy again. I'll be doing a gentle 10 miles, as slowly as possible. Really hope it's not going to be too warm for the race as I'm completely unprepared for anything over about 15 degrees. I was supposed to go to the gym today but I've just had a glass of Buck's Fizz at someone's leaving-do so I have the feeling I won't be @rsed to in the end.

I've ordered a second-hand copy of a guide book for Rotterdam so I have a rough idea of where everything is. I've got a few hours on Monday to do a bit of sight-seeing/shopping - provided I can walk. Hope it's not too out of date. Managed to google a map of where the hotel is so at least I know how to get to one place! Also printed out the key phrases from the BBC website although the only ones I really need is Spreekt u Engels? and Het spijt me, ik spreek geen Nederlands! If anyone knows how to say Hello, I've just run the marathon! Can I have a beer please? in Dutch this would be v. useful!

10 days to go image

• I'm actually not enjoying the tapering, keep worrying that I wasn't able to get a third 3 hour long run into my training.  I know it's too late but it doesn't stop me worrying about it!

I filled my new belt up and went for a run this morning to see how it feels.  No chaffing so fingers crossed it will be ok when I run 3.5 hours longer!  Have three gels, jelly beans and some Minstrels (which are the only chocolates I can think of that are not supposed to melt.

The last time I looked at the weather forecast for Rotterdam on the 13th it was going to be cool and fine which is perfect for me.

• I guess that's one BIG avantage I have over everyone else. Coming from South Africa, we speak a type of Dutch called Afrikaans. It's almost exactly the same as Dutch so communicating to the locals will be a piece of cake.

So, here we go Nemo - Hallo, ek het onlangs aan 'n marathon deel geneem! Mag ek asseblief 'n bier kry?

Good luck trying to say that! : )

Tour guide anyone?

• Dank u, TS image

That's a good idea re. chocolate, topcat455. I once made the mistake of putting slices of Mars Bar in with my Jelly Babies on a long run. What a mess! image

• Last long run for me tonight. Well, 11 miles isn't long compared to recent standards but I won't be getting close to that until the big day.

Reading Runners World today has scared me a lot though as I'm no worried if I can run at the pace I need to. I'm aiming for 3:45, which is 8:30 minute miles, but have been training much faster (8 minute miles for my 20-mile runs). In my other marathon last year I started off too fast and am worrying a little I'll do the same thing this year. 

My plan is to enter a local 3 mile race next Wednesday, not trying to run my best, but seeing if I can judge 8:30 pace right. It should make for a nice 'last run' so sounds like a plan to me. 

• Good tip in Runners World, at the finish line remember that you will be photographed.  Try to look up and smile, rather than looking down and fumbling with you watch.  This will make for a much better photograph!
  • I'm beyond help! It will be better for everyone concerned if the photographers give me a miss...image

Liked the bit about the mantras though, there were some good ideas there.

Good luck with your paced run, WD. I always have a better run if I start off slowly and then speed up. It's nicer overtaking people rather than being overtook (is this a real word?) at the end as well.

9 days to go image

• Stuck in work for overtime, nothing to do except wait at the moment for things to begin. I've used my time wisely and Google mapped where the expo. is and found a "Good Walk in Rotterdam" article on Fodor's website. Purely by luck (had no idea where it was when I booked it!) my hotel is only about 10-20 mins. from the start so I'll be able to walk there. Cool! image

Only worrying thing for me at the moment is that I feel slightly chesty. Hope it's not going to develop into anything nasty...  image

8 days to go image

• Reading this thread and the '8 days to go' it still doesn't seem real for some strange reason.  Still not doing a lot but I'm reasoning to myself that this is the point of a taper so it"ll all be ok.  Not sure I'm supposed to be eating quite so much though!

I also found out I need to travel for another meeting next friday in the UK, so I'll be on a plane from Manchester to Amsterdam on friday evening if anyone's doing the same??  Think it's KLM around 6.30pm.  I'll bring the Gatorade and the raisins image  In answer to your questions Little Nemo yes it's great to be able to run all over the place, I do realise I'm very lucky in that respect.  However when you're up at 4am to see the inside of a dingy airport/hotel room for the fifth time that month, it does get old and it's very lonely.  Anyway....how did this turn into therapy image

Keep well Little Nemo.  Don't do too much.  Take your vitamins.  Don't snog a man with a cold etc etc.

Troy - You didn't run Amsterdam last year did you?  I shared a cab to the start with a lovely S African guy.  If only I wasn't in my sweats with no make up on and stuffing my face with bananas I might have at least got as far as his phone number image

Good luck w the pacing Wirral Dave and good reminder Top Cat, my stopwatch is out of battery so I need to get a new one pronto.

• Hey H, nope, I never ran the Amsterdam Marathon last year. I'm glad the other SA guy kept up our good reputation though! image

Did my last semi-long run this morning in the pouring snow, around Richmand Park. It was so awesome. The change of scenery really was a boost and the run went by so quickly. 11 miles was a breeze. It's the most snow I've seen in London since I arrived here 4 years ago. 

Flying to Rotterdam on Friday, around 11am from Heathslow. Think we'll do a boat cruise on Saturday. Something that doesn't involve spending too much time on the feet, but makes sure I don't have to sit in the hotel all day. My girlfriend's coming with me and she's keen to explore the city. Not so keen to be sightseeing the day before I take on 42.2km's!

Anyone see the Paris Marathon this morning? Mind-blowing stuff. 2:06. How do people run that fast? Seriously!

Time to ingest as much pasta as possible in the next few days. Trying Mr Ramsay's pasta dish in the UK Runner's World May edition tonight.

Is anyone else staying until Monday? Who's keen to find a really nice pub/bar to knock back a few cold ones on Sunday night? I'm sure we'll deserve them! 

Not long now! 

• A weekend spent mostly doing nothing and definitely no snogging! image I'd already decided to give Sunday's run a miss but seeing all the snow made it easier to curl up on the sofa with coffee and toast. I'm kind of envious of you Troy for running in Richmond Park in the snow, it sounds a blast.

I did the Paris Marathon a couple of years ago and loved it, although I took a bit longer than 2:06 to get round image If you haven't already done it put yourself down for next year!

H, hadn't really thought about the drawback of all that travelling to get to exciting places. Although running the same old routes around London gets a bit boring at least I don't have to go through airport security to get to them. Hope all your flights go smoothly on Friday, sounds like a lot of travelling.

Chest is starting to feel a bit better so I've decided if I can run OK on Wednesday with no problems I'll be running in Rotterdam. But if it hasn't cleared up by then I'm going to give it a miss. Having lost 2 months after running Berlin when I shouldn't have I know I can't get away with it. Marathon's are just too long and too hard on the body to go into them when you're not feeling 100%. I'm currently on echinacea and lots of orange juice to keep it at bay. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

I've got Friday afternoon off to do all my packing and then it's a morning flight on Saturday from Heathrow to Rotterdam. V. glad I'm not departing from Terminal 5! All my race gear is coming as hand luggage just to be on the safe side anyway. Guide book was a bit of a mistake. It's got 300 pages but there are only 16 for Rotterdam and one v. rubbish map!!! It's got a bit of vocabulary so I'll photocopy those bits. The boat trip might be a good idea if I find I can't walk on Monday.

I'm not flying out until Monday afternoon so if anyone wants to meet up for a post-race celebratory drink I might be tempted along for a small drink or two.

6 days to go image

• According to the BBC website, its going to be showers and 12C on Sunday. Sounds a little better for marathon running than last year's heatwave.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0162

I'm also in Rotterdam until Monday. If anyone wants to suggest a Sunday-evening meeting place I'll try to turn up, depending on if I've got the physical ability to actually move.

• Argghhh! Don't know what to do.

Still have a slightly dodgy chest but no other symptoms. I'll try a short run today and see how I get on. Sensible part of me is saying not to run and to find another marathon to run next month. But the go-for-it part of me is saying run, it'll be fine.

To make matters worse my cat is really ill and probably only has a few days left before we'll have to put him to sleep. It feels wrong going off on a jaunt when he might not be around when I get back. image

4 days to go - maybe image

• LN - Thinking of you!!  Take it easy today, dose up on vitamins, get some sleep and see how you go.  You still have time to think about it.  When do you fly?

Re the cat hope all goes well there too.  Kitty would want you to run after all the training so don't feel bad.  Again you have a few days to see how things go.  It ain't over yet....

Fingers crossed xx 

• Oh and in answer to the other posts I'd be up for a post race pint. Since I live in Amsterdam it would probably have to be straight after the race for me to go though (I'll be all nice and sweaty too!)
  • Cheers, H! I've got until Saturday morning to decide. If cat looks like he'll be OK until next week I may risk it.

I've started using that Vicks' First Defence stuff as it to top it all the woman working opposite me has a horrible cold. She should realise I'm a professional athlete and stay at home until she's better!

If the rain stays away the weather looks OK. Not too hot, not too cold - may even be able to risk vest and shorts. What's everyone else going to wear?

• Have to admit that I am getting very nervous now and just wish that it was Sunday tomorrow.  I seem to be spending far too much of my time looking for different weather forecasts and trying to see if one of the doesn’t predict rain!  Hopefully, if there is rain, it will only be light drizzle, fingers crossed.

As I have not been running much this week, I went for a swim at lunch time time today and tomorrow morning will be my final pre Rotterdam run.

If there is room in my hand luggage (not risking anything in the hold) then I will be taking both shorts and running tights with me, however if the weather is going to be 8-11c then it will be shorts plus t shit for me.

I have not even completed my first marathon and my brother is trying to persuade me to do the Dublin marathon later this year!  I’ll see how I go on Sunday but I suspect that I will give that one a miss and try for the FLM again, I have to get in eventually.

Hope you feel better by Saturday LN. 

• Hey guys - I'm new here and can't believe I'm such a chump not to have found this thread before now.  I'm also doing Rotterdam this weekend.  My 3rd marathon, previous FLM 2006, Dublin 2007.  Aiming for time of 4.40 or therabouts - so I'm not a speedster my any means.

So pleased to hear all the info about the race from you lot - I never did get my entry pack in the post (but that's probably East London mail for you) - but they told me not to worry & just rock up to the helpdesk at the expo.  Did everyone else get theirs?

I am so excited now - just been to runner's need to stockpile "carb boom" gels and protein recovery bars for afterwards!

Best of luck to everyone as well - bring it on!

• Welcome to the thread, Brookie! Better late then never image

I never got my race pack so you're not the only one. I'm sure the Helpdesk will be expecting a few people to turn up with no pack. So long as you've got proof of who you are I think you'll be OK.

Here's a list if you want to add your time: 

Little Nemo PB: 4:55 Aiming for: (Just making it to the start will be brill!) 5 hours-ish
    H PB: 4.06 Aiming for: Sub 4 would be a dream come true. In reality based on training around 4.10/15
    Neil: PB: 3:34 (2001 Chicago Marathon) Hopefully new PB: 3:30.
    HB: PB - Aiming for 4:30, would be very happy with under 4:20. (Have scaled ambition down a bit)
    TC: PB n/a – Aiming for 4:19 (overtaking HB on the finish line?)