SmartCoach Pacing

Comments

• I have been reading this thread and hoping for inspiration. I am new to running, I have done a few race for lifes. I attempted a 10k cancer research run at Harewood House last year but didn't really train properly. and got a bad time 1h15mins - it was v hilly at the end, but I was still rubbish.

I have entered the BUPA Womens run in June and want to do it in a reasonable time. I have got a plan from smartcoach that I have started to follow but having read such a variety of opinions am a bit unsure now.

It would be great to hear if anyone has actually followed a plan through and how it worked for them.

Ruth

• Ruth,

My advice would be to use the threads on www.fetcheveryone.com its a great running community and everyone is very freindly. If you have not used the site then have a look someone will guide you in the right direction.

Good luck

• Ruth, I've used Smart Coach to train for a 10k, having completed a 5k on a different programme. I had a few hiccups in my training by getting ill etc. but stuck with it, I was 1 week off completing the schedule because of being ill, but ran the race anyway. I'd never done more than 5miles and usually around 10.40 pace. I started out with a goal of completing in less than 60 mins, but accepted towards the end that if I could do it in 1hr 10 mins or less I'd be happy just to have done reasonably well. As it was, the adrenaline kicked in & I ran it in 58.24 with only 1 mile of the 6 under 10 mins - not something I'd have believed possible and something I have deliberately avoided doing in training - I knew I was capable of running faster, but not for very long stretches.

Reading through this thread there's been a lot of critcism of smartcoach, and I kind of understand. When I started using it, I compared it's 5k plan to the one I was using & was baffled by it. Then I started messing about entering times I thought were better to see what changes it made. After getting the hang of what it was doing - starting you slower than you usually go, to work on endurance, and building up speed - I began to understand it. I tried different times/speeds/ easy/hard etc. and thought them all through. My main complaint would be that I can't see a way to change from 3 days training to 4 and I'd prefer to do 4 and spread my mileage over that (no real reason except I try to run at lunch time and so short of time mid-week), however, by using the easy or moderate settings I decided that I could shift up to 4 days a week shortening the timetable by a week or so IYSWIM.

I've now asked it for a half marathon plan based on my 10k time (not that I have a HM to run until next year), but wanted to see what it would do. The average pacing is good and manageable, and the speedwork is challenging - a tad faster than I ran today, but I know I can do it 'cos I was checking my pace regulary and know there were times I was hitting these paces and could have sustained them for longer if I'd had to.

So all in all, I don't think Smartcoach is as good as a real person, but if you're alone & needing goals - it works on getting you going further and my experience today makes me feel that's the best way to achieve. Timing can come after you know you can handle the distance easily.

Roslyn

• Hope this is not a really daft question, but when SmartCoach tells me to do 3 miles at 9:11 what does that mean? I understand I have to run 3 miles at 9:11 pace but what exactly is a 9:11 pace?

Hope someone can clarify for me image

Jane 

• 9.11 pace means you run a mile in 9 minutes 11 seconds in this case you run for 3 miles and you  run each of the miles none stop at 9 minutes 11 seconds pace. does this make sense JaneyB?

Good luck with it image

• A better way of it if you do not have GPS is, to map your route out on  maprunner or something similar and when you start running you reach your first mile at 9mins 11secs-your second mile at 18 mins 22 secs and your third at  27mins 33 seconds. You would then have completed 3 miles @ 9.11 pace  image

It is just a guide line- it wouldnt matter if you were a few seconds each side of this time or even 5-10 seconds.  It is just the best pacing for you to allow sufficient recovery between runs and as not to over do it so you can not complete other training within the week.

Dont hesitate to ask any other questions.

• Thanks for that! funny how all it all makes perfect sense when you know the answer image

Next question! I've previously completed a 10k and input my time for that in the calculations. My time for that was 1:00:20 and I'd really like to get under the hour when I next try. Does smart coach give me a training plan to match my last time or will it help me better it? Basically, can I use smart coach to improve my time or just to allow me to complete?

TIA

Jane

• This is a question I have asked myself Jane. If you input 1.00.20 it will base your training on times you are capable of doing. Obviously it will allow you to improve to a degree-but at what degree is the question.

There are plans out there i.e sub 50 min scheduals sub 45 min etc but you do not know  when following smart coach what time it is aiming you towards. I have asked the question and had no answer. I am not fond of the smart coach because of this as you dont know if your following the right plan for you. If you notice though over time certain training runs get quicker-thus you improving  to a degree.

If you want to acheive a sub 1 hour i could send you a link to a suitable plan to suit your needs? i would need a rough idea on how many miles you do a week and how many you would like to do and over how many days etc.

If you decide to stick to smartcoach good luck image

• Thank you I would appreciate the link, really would do my motivation a power of good to know I was actually improving!

Jane image

• "Next question! I've previously completed a 10k and input my time for that in the calculations. My time for that was 1:00:20 and I'd really like to get under the hour when I next try. Does smart coach give me a training plan to match my last time or will it help me better it? Basically, can I use smart coach to improve my time or just to allow me to complete?"

Jane, having used the SmartCoach to go from 5k to 10k, I then input my 10k time to train for another 10k and wanted to see what it would offer - having kept a copy of the original. The plan it's given me this time is definitely going to make me faster. The times I achieved in the first 10k were faster than I'd run in training - I guess because of the adrenaline. Therefore SmartCoach now appears to be of the opinion that I should be able to handle these times in training sessions (but in shorter bursts), building up the duration I'm running and the speed in various weeks. This leaves me feeling that I'll then run the next 10k actually ahead of this slightly when the adrenaline pushes me a bit faster again.

Not having got to that 2nd 10k I could be horribly wrong!! In which case I'll be gutted when my time doesn't improve, but I'm pretty confident with the training I'm doing at the mo' that it's going to leave me faster than previous.

HTH
    Roslyn

• Obviously the odd one out here, the schedule I got for me was pretty much bang on.  I trained using the FIRST schedule for a marathon last year so got used to the tempo and speed sessions and yes they're challenging, but that's the point.  Given the alternatives I've looked at (halhigdon running six days a week - erm no) or the half marathons on here - I'm not a run/walk beginner so beginners too simple and the intermediate's too fast at the moment (am only 5ft after all so 9 min miles is a sprint for me!) and I don't see the need of going up to 16 miles LSR is really needed.

• Hi PFS

I've been looking at Smartcoach and do prefer the plans that are aiming me towards a specific finish time. So I had a look at the link you suggested and I've been looking at the 8 week, 5 days per week schedule: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?SP=&v=3&UAN=75

My question is - whereas the smartcoach explains exactly what each session means ie at what pace to run, this programme doesn't do that. So I find myself confused as to what it means by the following for example:

2-2.5M warm-up, then 10-12 x 400m or 80-90 secs, with 400m or 2-3 min recoveries, then 2.5M cool-down

I see that it means a 2-2.5mile warm up and 10-12 lots of 400m but at what pace do I run each 400m? Or is that what the 80-90secs is?

Also, where can I find out what it means by fartlek and tempo?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I did actually run the London Marathon last month but I followed a beginners 'time on your feet' schedule and it was very simple compared with this. My new aim to build up a bit of speed because I currently have the pace of a snail image

Any help would be really really appreciated!

Thanks

• Christine

If it is suggesting that you run 12x400m or 80-90 secs then i would be inclined to pace the 400m at that.

Tempo runs- are typically run at 1% slower than race pace

Have a look at this- it may or may not help http://home.hia.no/~stephens/temporun.htm

Fartleks-  are a run which you vary the pace for periods of time  i.e. very easy, fast, easy, fast, easy, fast, very easy etc. It is a continuous run with your recovery being the very easy/easy running.

You can do it anyway you like. One suggestion is 5-4-3-2-1. You run 5 mins hard followed by 3 mins easy, 4 mins hard followed by 3 mins easy, 3 mins hard/3 mins easy etc. 

You can play about with it.

Hope this is of some help image

• Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, it is indeed very helpful!
  • I wrote that wrong i meant 5 mins hard 5 mins easy 4 mins hard 4 mins easy 3 mins hard 3 mins easy etc image
  • Hi, only me again, I'm just looking ahead at some of the later weeks and it has me doing '5 x 800m or 3mins with 1000m or 5-min recoveries'. So basically is this saying that each of my 800m should take 3mins? And I should be doing 5 of them. And in between each lot of 800m I should do 1k and each of these 1k's should take 5 mins?

So the pace at which I'm running the 800m lengths is basically 6mins to the mile? That is fast! I'm usually a 11-12 minute mile kind of girl!

• Thats exactly what the session is Christine image does seem quite fast, did you enter the details in correctly for a recent race time?
  • i have just put in my details for a 10km in 45 mins and the fastest it expects me to do one of these sessions you mention is 3.08 and thats at its peak. I dont think you could or should be running the 800m at 3 min pace i think the 3 min pace is a general guidline if you do not have access to a track etc
  • Hi again

Sorry I'm think I'm being confusing talking about this on the SmartCoach thread but I'm looking at the article you mentioned. Training for a 10K in 8 weeks, 5 sessions a week.

I think if I had to do 5 lots of 800m at 3min pace I'd be physically sick, ha ha!

C x

• Hi there

I would like to train for a best PB on a 10k over 4 (or 8) weeks, but am not sure what time to aim for or how hard I should train.  My previous best without much training was 52min and I have recently been injured and ran a 10k at about 54/55min as am out of shape and overweight from months of previously being injured and too much eating/drinking!    I run casually 3-4 times per week  without any training goals at the moment so am clocking about 35-45km per week.  I have only ever trained for marathons before and never for a 10km so don't really know what kind of time I should go for - but I would like to be challenged !  (without injuring myself as want to run a marathon in November)

Does anyone have any advice about what time I should aim for?

thanks

Fee 

• I would go for a target of 50 mins image or if you really wanted to push yourself 48 mins image

But if you have been off injured your training should start off easy so to prevent injury so you may only be pushing yourself really hard for a couple of weeks. Why not just try to beat your PB no-one can ask more than that!

• SmartCoach has designed a 5K training session for me over 8 weeks working at a Hard Level. My last race time was 22:06. Based on other people's experience what can I realistically drop my time to by the end of these 8 weeks (provided I follow the programme correctly)?

Andy 

• i would say have a crack at 21 mins image
  • There's a race time calculator somewhere on here which asks you what you last got & what you're running this time & then gives you a predicted time. It was pretty accurate based on what I last did, but obviously doesn't take into account any training you may have done since then.

I entered a 10K time of 58.23, it then told me my predicted half-marathon time would be just over 2 hours 7 minutes. Which would be about right based on the 10k pace. However I have and will have done considerably more training since then & would be optimistic of getting it nearer the 2 hour mark.

But if you're talking about the same distance I don't know how the calculator would work.

• I have no real sense of distance. I have begun to get used to judging distances in kilometers. Is there any way to get the 'smart' coach to give metric measurements? I really have no idea how long a mile is - come to think of it neither does my GPS.
  • 2km = 1.25 miles.

400m = .25 miles

roughly

• Graham Rule wrote (see)
    I have no real sense of distance. I have begun to get used to judging distances in kilometers. Is there any way to get the 'smart' coach to give metric measurements? I really have no idea how long a mile is - come to think of it neither does my GPS.

1 mile= 1.609 km.

If in a hurry  use 1 mile= 1.5 km

So just add around 50%  of any given amount in miles to get a quick and dirty km aproximation.

Thus if your program says run 8 miles, then run 12k, you should be OK ( in reality it would be 12.8 km, but the difference is unlikely to affect your training results).