What Time...?

Morning All,

This may seem a very silly question to no FLM virgins but what time should i be at the Blue start? I  know the blue start time is 09:45 but what time should i get there for?

Sorry if this seems a daft question.

Many Thanks

James.

Comments

• Hi James,

I asked this same question a couple of evenings ago - and got lots of flack (directly and indirectly) for asking such a silly question.  However, as a first time FLMer, I thought it was a very reasonable question.  I went away quietly and didn't say what an unfriendly lot I thought they were.  When you're feeling nervous, the last thing you need is people belittling you.

The only remotely helpful answer was 1.5 hrs and I think I've subsequently read the same thing in this months Runners World. 

I'm limited by train times, so will be there about 1¼ hrs before if all goes according to plan.  If not, they'll just have to start without me!

Good luck. 

• There was a small problem of broken down DLRs to contend with last year, so the earlier the better (IMHO), as long as you don't get too cold waiting around. (you've probably seen comments about old fleeces you are happy to leave at the start and never see again, and bin liners if it's damp)

Sorry that you found the forums unfriendly. Usually people are happy to answer any questions, regardless of how many times it might have been asked in the past. image

• Thanks Sore Toes & Em&Belle.

I knew it was a slightly daft question before posting but having never ran at an event as massive as the FLM i though it was worth a shot, so thanks for your replies! They're both really appreciated.

Good Luck for Sunday to you both.

• Just assuming you do get there late, how long after the gun will they let you start the race? (Or rather how long after they let people run off from the gate)
  • Last year lots of runners missed the start due to the DLR train had jumped its rails. They started after the official start, without too much fuss apparently. Some had run 3 odd miles to the start, with their kit bags, and thankfully the baggage lorries had held back to allow them to post their kit.

Mind you, they had to swim through the backmarkers in all the wide fancy dress outfits, so not ideal! Not to mention the stress. Their time was recorded from their chip, so they weren't directly penalised. I'm not sure how much after the official 9:45 they did cross the line - I seem to recall a good 20-30 minutes from one comment at the finish.

You want to plan to be there around 8:00 to 8:30, to give yourself plenty of time to find where you're going, locate your pen, queue for the loos, deposit the kit bags before the luggage lorries pack up, grab a drink or two, get into your kit, sort out makeup (gents), suncream, vaseline etc. There are marquees at the start in case of bad weather, but I guess they'll get rather crowded if the weather is inclement.
  • Would you suggest wearing your running gear from home or changing when you get there????
  • i'm wearing my running gear from home!! less chance of forgetting anything
  • Good question about when to get changed....anyone else have any thoughts as to which is best? (thanks bootsie)

• running gear from home, with a layer or two on top has got to be best. OMG...imagine if you lost your bag, or forgot an item. Belt and bracers, me. image

I still have visions of walking back from where the DLR broke down, knowing hubby was having to run to his start, and after a good 20 min walk I was still seeing people going the other way trying to get to the start. I didn't realise the etiquette at the time of taking up precious space on the trains as a spectator, and regret having tried to get to the start with my husband. I think that as a runner you are definately best going alone, as it were.

I'll be the one hanging round at the start from the crack of dawn. Not ideal I know, but, oh the stress of being late.

• I'll be there from silly o'clock too... image don't want to risk the panic of being late of cramped up on a train