ING Amsterdam Marathon 2008

This will be my first running of the Amsterdam marathon. Can anybody tell me more about it? Is there any cobblestones? I have been to Amsterdam before and I think it's a wonderful country and I think it will be great to run a mrathon there.

Comments

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

Hi Rowan,

The course is flat, as you would expect.  The first few miles goes in a loop starting in the olympic stadium and then passing back through it before heading out of town.  The support disappears as you pass along the river and farmalnd areas (although some pigs did make some encouraging noises) and then you re-enter the city.  The finish in the stadium is great.

I enjoyed it, great pb course but a bit boring in stretches.  I was thinking about doing it again, but will see how I get on in Paris first. 

• I don't remember any cobblestones, a long stretch along the river, and a bit through a pretty industrial area after that before you get into the more touristy and well populated bits towards the end.

I'm considering doing it again this year (I did the marathon last year and the half the year before that) but I want to get FLM out of the way and see how I feel, I did 3 marathons last year and feel like I might fancy a bit of a "rest" this year and just do the one.  

• Fancy this one.I think entries are open now??
  • Hi all, fancy meeting you here Shiva. Thanks for the descriptions. I have done New York for the last 4 years and is very expensive to do and is definately not a PB course unless it is your first marathon.So my plan for this year is to aim for a PB in October on a flat course injury permitting.
  • Is this THE MAIN Amsterdam Mara thread then??

I've entered the mara and OH is doing the 7.5km run.
    We're flying out from Southampton on the Saturday and I've just booked hotel on-line.

I'm surprised not to find 'a whopper' of a thread for this event, I know it's early in the year, but I figured most people plan these things around now?!? Anyone else???

• I remember there being one cobbled street near the end of the race when I ran it in 2003. It was just a short bit after coming in from the harbour area and entering near the red light district. Quite a few short sharp bridges over the canals on that bit from memory but it's over before you know it.
    Have been toying with doing it again this year as I'll have free room and board at my sister's place.
  • Cobblesimage

Scotty-How can you resist when you have free room and board image

• I'll probably give it a shot but then I live in Amsterdam so I can't not really.  Otherwise I'll be on the sidelines with the jelly beans and lemon barley water....
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Ran it last year.

No cobbles. 

Very flat and fast although there is an underpass at @ 38 km which is a bit of a killer (probably wouldn`t notice it on a 10m run).

The run out and back along  the R.Amstel is alright but can be slightly exposed - there was a bit of wind coming back along the river last year.

Quite a small marathon by international city standards - think they had about 6000-7000 last year.

Support is quiet compared to London/NY/Berlin but vocal enough in the city. The river section has very few spectators (which I, being a grumpy old sod, rather liked).

Finish in the Olympic Stadium is great.

Amsterdam is a great city. Everyone speaks English (embarrassing but v useful) and there were a  surprising number of good restaurants. 

I stayed in the Best Western Delphi - located about 3/4 mile from the start/finish. Nice, peaceful, civilized hotel. Outside the town centre. Town is a 4 min tram ride away or a 15 min walk. Hotel only does breakfast (including  a marathon breakfast) but there are a number of good local cafes & restarants within a couple of mins walk from hotel.

All-in-all one of the most enjoyable marathons I`ve run and for a weekend - Amsterdam is a fantastic destination.

• I'm in this one. Looking forward to it!
  • Hi Wolfy,fancy meeting you here. Do you remember me?
  • Wolfy!! How goes?

Am thinking about the half..... Full tooooo scaaaarrryy! LOL 

Have found a good deal for flights, just trying to persaude my running buddy! 

•  Right. That's me signed up then.

It will be my 3rd Marathon after Paris and Dublin last year. Still trying to beat 4hrs after failing miseably at the last 2. Trying to give myself the best chance by choosing a nice flat course.

• Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Nice One Tom. What's your target for this one?
  • tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the 'flatness' of Amsterdam is what appealed to me image
  • 3hrs and 59minutes will do me just fine.

Managed 4hrs 48 in Paris and 4hrs 36 in Dublin last year. Didn't do myself any favours by being a good stone overweight, so I'm going to try to tackle that a bit more seriosly this year.

Bought myself some fancy scales this lunchtime and even went for a run before work which is unheard of for me.

What are other peoples targets?

• Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi, My target is 3.15 injury permitting. I've just done the Paris marathon my preparation was riddled with injury so I was grateful just to finish. My time was 3.48. Tiny Tia  I choose Amsterdam for it's flatness too but Paris was ultra flat also.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Well I was vaguely tempted by this as an autumn mara but knowing that Wolfy & H will be around has made me think again....
  • Signed up for the half....

C'mon Wolfy .... where are you? 

• Gavo - The fact that the two ginger minx's are going to be there is surely the biggest selling point for this race image

Just done Rotterdam in 3.44 so now I'm all revved up for this.  3.40 to qualify for Boston '09!!!!

• I quite fancy this, does anyone know how quickly it fills up?

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Shouldn`t be a problem.
  • Dear all,I have signed up for this myself, it will be my first Amsterdam marathon but hopefully my second marathon this year, after Cork in June.

I have two questions.I hope to make a weekend of it with my wife etc and having only really been to the city on business trips (were the transport is laid on). How straight forward will it be to stay in the central tourist area and get to the start on the morning of the race? I see that there is tram, are we talking minutes are hours? I do so hate stress before the race!

Secondly how do you go from racing in June to racing again October? Should I tick along for a few weeks (after resting) and join a schedule midway to peak for October or should I just go back the start of a 16-week schedule, using the easier weeks as rest/recovery?

Any thoughts.

• Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭

This is looking more likely for me nowimage Will confirm in a couple of weeks.

• Wally, don't worry about the transport thing.  It's a small city and trams do run on marathon day (although some lines don't due to the marathon crossing the tracks).  Worse case a cab would be circa 10 quid depending on where you stay.  They're always knocking about, even at 'stupid o'clock' on a sunday.  There's a transport booth at the expo too so you can double check.  I can get all this info to you nearer the time if you let me know where you're staying.

JALBM - You can usually apply pretty late.  Last year we only applied a few weeks before and were fine.

• H many thanks. Would much prefer to stay in the central city.

Trying to make a marathon weekend a romantic break too! Not sure such a thing is possible, 'Darling I know this great place for dinner near the olympic stadium that does Italian, it is a little noisy but very popular' or ' if you really loved me you would stand on the side of the road for four hours on the off chance I might see you as I pass by'. Hmm might have to rethink this one.

Oh and one last thing H, would it be too cold to stay on a house boat in October?

• It depends on the boat but a decent one for rent would be heated.  Oct shouldn't be too cold either.  Maybe something to check if you're looking into that kind of thing.  Otherwise you can crash in my box room with a few other runners for a small fee  - the wife would really love that image
  • Dear H,

A very kind offer but one I will turn down, many thanks. Have the strangest feeling I met you at the end of the Medoc marathon last year? Now that would be a 'small world' moment! Otherwise look forward to seeing you after Anmsterdam in October.

Thanks Again.

• Small world!!!!!  I did indeed do Medoc (I always turn up where the booze is!)  Remind me again, at what point did we speak (sorry - I felt a bit pants right after Medoc...the train trip back to Bordeaux was interesting!)  Up for another trollying in the Dam?  I might even have a pre or post race party?