Online Entry - Open already?

167891012»

Comments

• The fuss right now is nothing.  Wait until July, when all those who didn't realise it was online only this year don't get the entry form they were expecting in the post...
  • Didn't everyone who applied last year get a flyer through the post though CD?
  • kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭

Some may consider it over-complicating things, but why not have a system for pre-registering your interest? They could open that on (or even before) marathon day to maximise the publicity from the TV coverage and keep it open for a couple of weeks, with no limit on numbers. Once all the fuss has died down, they can send out emails to everyone who registered announcing that the entry to the ballot proper opens at a certain date / time in the future. You're still going to get the log-jam of people trying to get in when you open the entires, but that's inevitable with any online system that limits numbers (whcih i agree they have to do to make the odds of getting in reasonable). There are always going to be people who say "the system's not fair because I didn't get a place".

I agree with the suggestion that people shouldn't be able to enter the ballot the year (or even 2?) after getting a place through it. I would do that, and use the extra places that frees up to reduce the number of years you have to enter unsuccessfully before getting a guaranteed place.

• Try Paris, much better marathon
  • Did they, Scream?  I didn't enter, I was going to get a championship entry but I decided to do Boston instead.  I would still put money on there being a few upset people come July, especially if they're as good as reading this stuff through the post as I am! 
  • Aha, that explains it.

If you didn't enter last year you'd have no idea. Not sure there would be too many people in that situation since I'm assuming runners talk to other runners and would have heard from them. There are bound to be a few though, I agree.

• To be honest, I didn't realise it was all online until I happened to be watching the coverage when they announced it.  Mind you, I haven't run it before, but I knew how the entry system worked.

Also, I was chatting to a colleague this morning who had to pull out through injury.  He had already deferred from last year, so couldn't defer again.  He had no idea about the online ballot.

• This concept of a limit on the number of applicants doesn't make any sense at all really. There is a real possibility now that I won't be able to apply if there is a mad rush on Monday morning. Since I bequest my donation, thats £23 local charities in London won't be seeing due to the system not letting me apply.

If there are 20,000 places and 200,000 people wanting to run, there is a 1 in 10 chance of getting in. Denying 80,000 runners the chance to apply doesn't mean there is a 1 in 6 chance at all, it only means there is that percentage for people successful at getting an entry form.

This current system appears to actually be excluding many social groups from taking part. If my understanding is right, you need to enter payment details when you apply. That means that people without a credit card/debit card whose banking situation means they can only pay via postal orders cannot apply to take part this year. I hope there is something in place to get around this.

• This issue may already have been mentioned - this would've been my fifth application via the ballot and if unsuccesful would've g'teed me an entry for 2010 as I understand as I've failed to get a place. Now if can't even get a place in the ballot the whole bloody process will have to start again as you have to fail to gain an entry over 5 consecutive year??

Well pee'd off as couldn't get online until after it'd closed - now have to wait until Monday 9am, or will they open them early just to cause more stress!

• got my confirmation emails looks like I am in the ballot! image

Well worth the chasing.

• I've emailed them again, as I've had no reply from my email on Monday, but others seem to have had replies from more recent emails.

Hopefully this doesn't mean there's a problem.  Getting very paranoid now!  I'm ready to argue about it though, as they've already got my money.....

• Applied at 1700 on Sunday - got through with no probs.  Confirmation no. 121***

My stats -

Years running - 26; Races - 10; Marathons - 3; Half marathons - 5: FLMs run - 0; Entries for FLM - 6.

Unfortunately not consecutive years.  This is my 5th consecutive entry though, so I hope to be there in 2010.  I'd be pretty p*****d off is some stupid computer system stops me though!  Anyone else think that 2009 may well be a record low turnout due to the high number of "couch potato" entries on Sunday?

• Hurrah and huzzah, I'm in the ballot!

Persistence has paid off, and I've had an email from Realbuzz confirming my place in the ballot.

Phew!

• Congratulations SazzaG been following this thread since it started and I have seen the angst that has been tormenting you. All you need now is to be successful in the ballot and remain injury free til April next year, piece of cake !
  • It's quite sad really that I got so stressed about it!  It was more the uncertainty of it all.

Like you say PP, all I need now is to keep training, actually get a place (hmmm, not very likely) and not get injured (again, not likely with my knees).

Still, I live in hope!

• The on-line entry system was advertised on the FLM web page for all to see.

Previous entrants received a notification by post.

• weird how we're all getting different confirmations.... i just got a reference number to quote, but no subsequent emails............... image
  • Hi i too managed to get through with realbuzz- Craig and Tim really helpful - all my details had been logged so only had to pay, and yes confirmed in the ballotvia realbuzz
    Thanks to all for the helpful tips - and good luck !!!
  • Info...

I phoned FLM last week, and they told me then about there being postal entries (and I did post it on the forum somewhere...) so this was not a last minute addition.

On the entry form one of the things it said was that multiple entries would disqualify you UNLESS it was due to technical problems (I've already posted this in this thread I'm pretty sure...). I think most of you can stop worrying on that score!  Though they may need all the time until October to sort it out...

Finally got through to the phoneline today.  My situation was that I had the Worldpay confirmation email but not the one from FLM.  They have confirmed I am entered, but say I should email craig@... if I want a proper confirmation email.  Sounded like it wasn't esential, so I'm not hurrying to do it.  The woman I phoned was also worried for a mo about not having my payment details, but I pointed out that I hadn't bequeathed, and she checked with someone else and it was OK.

I have enough refusals that I will now definitly be in one of the next two years!

• Hi,

Just wondering if the e-mail I got which was from futurepay agreement c/w an agreement no means in the ballot? or do I need to e-mail again? - HELP!!

Thanks

Dan-o

• Dan-o, you should have receive 2 emails - one for your payment, and one from FLM confirming your entry into the ballot.

Email london@realbuzz.com and ask them to confirm your entry. I'm sure it's fine, but it's nice to be sure!
  • SazzaG thanks for that , will do!!