"Flora London Marathon" is dead

13»

Comments

• So who would be a good sponsor then?

I suggest Vaseline, Scholl Blister Plasters or Diacalm.

But enough about my perversions....

• There are many companies out there - ethical companies - who could sponsor the LM.  I suspect it would be a 5 year contract.

But where do you draw the line? Would McDonalds or British American Tobacco be acceptable sponsors if they put up the money?

I take the view that sponsorship of sporting events should be from companies who "do no harm". So alcohol is out (though I drink). Tobacco is out. Nestle are certainly out (though as someone said, Vittel is a Nestle brand), and I think Tesco's business practises are as bad as Nestle.

Personally I think Innocent Smoothies should get it image

• Easyjet would be the perfect sponsor, given their brand is about dropping people off 26 miles away from where they actually want to be.
  • LOL W Dave!

I'd say that one of the City Bank firms, like RBS, HSBC, after all we run round their edifices. A big sports wear firm like Nike or Asics might want some restrictive covenant over other suppliers.

Durex isn't silly. After all they are made by the London Rubber Company.

Or if Unilever are dropping it, then Procter & Gamble might grab it. Or a food manufacturer. Just think we coud have the Walker's London Marathon. (oh no)

• Not sure you want to see a big sign saying ' every little helps' after you have just run 26 miles !!

Although if it was a three or 2 deal you'd only need to run 18 miles.

The wheelchair races would have to sit in a supermarket trolley with the main intent to avoid flating down the Thames.

• Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    If the likes of ING and Standard Chartered are currently sponsoring big city marathons I suspect that London will now follow a similar route. My money's on Northern Rock