Darlington 10K

2»

Comments

• My parents live on the course and were standing by with a hose for the EXPECTED hot weather. Amazing how the storm was timed to perfection with the run. I think it made me more determined than ever to finish a race - guess it's a sort of runner-macho thing!!! In the end I did my fastest 10k of the year so I don't think the river slowed me down too much. Anyone know if the results will be online at all - back home in Surrey now.
  • I did promise a report!

Anyway what a fantastic day. I hope everyone else enjoyed the weather as much as me. Wasn't it just mad! (they will have to call it the darlington Grim next year)

I only started training again on monday (after 16 weeks off) and only decided to run after a 4.5 Mile run on friday. Set out to run a comfortable race and aimed for about 55 mins. Started of too fast at 4.30 1st KM then reigned back and did 5K in 25.30 comfortably (I think thats a good time for a 5K swim) anyway got itchy feet at that point and decided to go for a sub 50 min 10K, took it easy and slowly pulled back the time and with a fast last KM came in in 49.40.

Dead pleased with that even though its a personal worse! and I managed a negative split....techie stuff but I strongly recomend it, Felt absolutely great at the end. Had a nice chat to Wild Will and was sorry I didn't meet anyone else.

Got home to a totally colapsed gazebo..the weight of water had snaped to poles. Anyway sorted that, had sunday diner and then friends over till 10pm and have drunk lots of cold beers....great day

:o)
  • well, the timing of the rain was certainly impeccable. I don't think I've ever run in weather like it, particularly the rivers that suddenly appeared. I know sunglasses wont have helped, but the first 5k appeared to be in almost total darkness. And guess who forgot a towel and change of clothes ?!
    Apart from that it was great fun, and I'm fairly happy with 40:57.
  • So come on Tulips what happened to you? Hope you didn't get washed down a storm drain and are at this very moment swiming back up the Tees estuary.

Looked out for someone answering your description after I had finished but saw no voluptous, tanned, auburn haired ladies who answered to Tulips, Rose or even Daffodil come to that!
  • BBB - I can vouch for Tulips. She recognised my race number at the start and we plodded (or swam) round together. She finished a few seconds ahead of me. By the time we finished, the rain had washed away the finishing line, we ran too far and the marshalls had to tell us to stop running, as we'd made it! Good job ... we'd have been in Durham otherwise.

Actually, I think the marshalls and police deserve thanks for standing in that torrent.

I got home ready to flop on the sofa with a cuppa only to discover that, as I'd left the bedroom window open, the force of the rain had washed all the soil from my windowbox across the sill and onto the carpet, curtains, bedding, etc. My front garden plants were completely flattened, there were two trees down in the village and we had no power.

BTW, report and results will be in Friday's Northern Echo.
  • That was one crazy way to spend a glorious summer sunday morning in darlington,the marshalls&police looked well pleased to be out in the down pour watching 900 silly fools having 'FUN' but no doubt i will be back next year
  • It was the must fun i've had doing a 10k - i think i ran round grinning from ear to ear and felt realy strong at the end

:o)

PS - i di not have a towel or change either