The Perfect Shoe - does it exist?

I need your help in finding the perfect shoe to end injury frustration. I ended up missing the last 4 weeks training and having to wear orthotic insoles for the first time in the Chicago Marathon, all I can say is OUCH!

It has now been some time since I have managed to wear a pair of running shoes out as they all seem to cause one injury or another.

I am a mild overpronator who requires a wide fit shoe, plenty of heel cushioning and a low heel section.

I have recently tried Asics 2070 - too high at the back (Achilles problems) and New Balance 854 - No heel cushioning

I am now desperate to start London Training (Injury forced me to drop out last year), any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Go to a decent running shop, try a load on and run circuits of the shop! Stay all day if you have to but DON'T leave until you've found the shoe that's right for you.
  • Agree with Psi - not much good going on other people's recommendations - we're all different!

Worth getting some ideas of what to look at though - Nike Air Structure Triax might be okay - I tried them before settling for the 2070s. Good cushioning, for mild overpronators, quite a close fit, not sure how high they were at the back.

Do try them in the shop though - try to go to a good shop and not just a typical high street one.

Iain
  • I too have to run with orthotics due to slight overpronation mostly on my right foot. Have had the usual grief getting used to walking and running with them in and had to suffer excruciating blisters. (Bless compeed for easing the pain.. miracle cures in the world of recovery!) As far as trainers are concerned, i spent weeks and a fair amount of cash in the quest for the perfect pair which would also fit orthotics. Best help i had was from a shop in Slough / Langley area who pointed me towards New Balance - a neutral shoe which was light enough not to feel bulky yet strong enough to cope with the upcoming NY Marathon...(no need for support if you are running with orthotics). So far training has been good with these shoes (tried Asics and Addidas and Nike and tried on many many other pairs) i will let you know how it goes!
  • Don't know about the pefect shoe but I ran this summer in Saucony Grid Jazz things - I have never had so many foot niggles in my life - found I could only run every second or third day because of little pains here and there. Recently I invested in Asics 2070's and they are totally ace!!! ( I was originally going to buy Kayano's but the guy in the shop reccommended the 2070's (did themselves out of £30 there- but at least I got decent advice)
  • I too had problems with 2070's (being a mild overpronator) and had to use orthotics. I gave up with them, and bought a pair of Saucony Omni's and did the Berlin marathon in them without problem.

I'm having some niggles in ankle though and have this horrible thought that I might need to go back to wearing orthotics
  • My physio recommended putting a thin soft insole over the top of the orthotics to stop rubbing against such a hard surface and this has done wonders. I thought i would chew them up like mad when road running but find them soft and due to the curve seem to stay in place even after 15 miles! It is so important to let your feet get used to orthotics. I took a good few months to get used to them. I felt like i had dustbins on my feet! But now my skin has become used to them i feel wobbly without them in. At first wear them for just a couple of hours a day then gradually increase over a few weeks. Your first time running in them will feel a bit springy but once again, keep in mind its all for a good cause.

Also i find the orthotics stop achilles tendon rubbing because you are mildly higher up in the shoe!
  • Victoria,

the orthotics I had were for a fallen arch on my foot, but should they be used with my stability shoes (as I mildly overpronate) or as someone suggested with neutral shoes?
  • Usually orthotics are designed to be worn with neutral shoes but check with the podiatrist that made them...
  • I agree. If you wear stability shoes you are overcompensating by also using orthotics and the curve of both might not be in your foot's favour! You also might be paying a fair bit more for stability shoes when neutral ones would easily fit the extra orthotic a lot better.

My asic stability shoes were too much and felt awkward. Neutral New Balance shoes made such a difference i was amazed. Of course everyone is different so best speak to your podiatrist to be extra safe.

• Hi all sorry to join late, I have had some Nike Span Triax (too soft), Mizuno Riders & Creations, 2070's and NB1040's all have given me slightly differing problems, most likely due to having one leg a bit longer than the other. I am now on my second pair of Pegasus 2002, their wide straight last seems to give stability while the rear "crash pad" seems to gently halt my mild over pronation. I cannot tell you how much of a joy and benefit to my race times to be able to run more than a couple of months before being "injured". My advice is to keep looking, and ease into each new shoe slowly, if possible. Good hunting.
  • So do you have to run with one orthotic or insole in then? I am curious!
  • Just bought some Mizuno Wave Riders today. The fit is excellent (I also have marginally wide feet) and it's a good shoe for mild overpronation (nothing more though, as it's not got that many stability features).

It rides low to the ground but provides adequate cushioning IMO. Try them :)
  • I just ordered (over the internet, so have yet to try) some Nikeid Pegasus 2000 - you go to their site and custom-make a pair of shoes (your choice of width fitting, midsole, cushioning type, upper durability etc). I am an overpronator so went for the dual midsole option. Anybody with my sort of problem have any success with a custom-made Nikeid? Takes 5 weeks to make so I wait with baited breath....
  • Asics DS Trainers: Love em! They make you want to belt along even if you don't feel like it to start with!

Asics Kayano VIII: Nice for everyday use!
  • I don't use orthotics at all. My muscles and tendons just seem to be getting used to my wobbly legs !!