"runners waist"

Comments

• oops, posted that before your second reply!
  • Ha ha  image

BMI is not accurate because it doesn't take bone density or muscle mass into consideration.

• I've got a handheld body fat measurer, which I don't really pay any attention to.  Had my bodyfat measured ages ago and it was 30%. 

You're right about the 3,500 calories to a pound D runner - which is why I find it strange, it would mean I've eaten an extra 5,500 calories or so per week that I've been running (5). image

• Ok if you are really worried about it, go and get your body fat measured properly.  Do not use a scale, or a hand held calliper thing -go to a doctor who will take your height, your wrist measurements, your weight, your foot size etc into account.  Your bones also play a big part in your weight - some people have healthy denser bones which weighs a lot and others have smaller bones which don't.

What size shoe are you compared to your height?  My mate was about 5ft 4, size 5 foot and weighed 11stone.  But her body fat percentage was really low because she was incredibly sporty.  According to BMI, she was overweight, but had no fat on her.

If you are leading a healthy life, honestly - get over the scales and the weight and just do the bloody sport.  Instead of griping all day about something (lets be honest) that obviously isn't going to effect your life too much because you are both clearly thin enough to be out running 30 odd miles a week, without getting injured. 

You have both unequivocally said that you are eating healthily and you are exercising, so really - maybe it's just WHO YOU ARE and you need to accept it and move on

• I understand that it's fairly easy to see someone moaning about a few pounds gained, but I was only really asking if anyone has heard of this happening or had it happened to themselves.  As i've mentioned a few times already in this thread, for me it's not as easy to accept that "it's just a few pounds gain - get over it", everyones different and whether or not it's sensible or not - it bothers me a lot. 

Either way, i'll keep an eye on what my weight is doing and deal with it if necessary.

• 30% is quite generous for a runner though...
  • I am the same.  I really am.  I have battled with my weight for years but I also learnt that I can do endurance sports - or any sports (and have done my entire life) as someone overweight.  My body fat seems to like me.  I don't particularly like it, but I can either accept myself for who I am or stress about it. 

I understand that gaining a couple pounds has freaked you out, but you seem to have overlooked everyone that has come on and said that you put on muscle, not fat.  

Honestly, chuck your scales out the window.  Unless you have always done sports and have a steady amount of strength going on, you are going to be building up a degree of muscle which is going to increase your weight.  If you have also just started training, there is the possiblility that you are building muscle at a faster pace that burning fat - apparently.  

Either way, you are doing the right things and if you keep at it, you will only see positive results. image

• 30% is quite generous for a runner though...

Yeh I agree.  Although mine is probably 85% fat and 15% wobbly bits and water...  Ha ha 

• If  I was told correctly, my bodyfat should be nearer 20-25%, so I'm quite keen to get it down to that level!  I've only been running for about 5 weeks so I wouldn't imagine there to be any huge changes in regards to bodyfat yet.  (30% bodyfat was taken a year or so ago)

• Yeah you're right - I shouldn't have been so dismissive about the possibility of some of it being muscle.  I guess only time will tell!
  • Are you thinking about BMI?

In general, the lower your bodyfat, the better.  Serious athelets have about 5% and as a woman, we would naturally have higher body fat than men.

I have never heard of them suggesting how much body fat you should have.  I would want about 10% personally 

• Only so that when I get caught up some big mountain in the middle of winter, my body has enough fat to eat rather than eating me
  • http://www.netfit.co.uk/fitness/test/body-fat-percentage.htm

For women: 

Athletic = <13
    Optimal = 13-20
    Borderline = 21-25
    Overweight = 26-32
    Obese = 32>

• I'm talking about bodyfat - I was told that between 21-25% was "normal", and below was athletic.  Either way - I've always known that I need to get mine down a bit!
  • The lowest I ever managed to get mine is 17%...  I have seen these scales in various guises though...?
  • Who wants to be skinny anyway,

My body fat % is usually in the region of 25%, hasnt stopped me doing 6 marathons and 7 Ironman races in the last few years (admittedly at rather a slow speed).

Weight is somewhat irrelevant im my opinion.  Having not trained much for 4-5 months ive put on about 7lb but my waist size has increased about 6 inches (the pies need to be stored somewhere)

• I want to be 10% - still.

Actually, since i don't know - I can just pretend that it is 10% and no one will be any the wiser.

Nam lovely - have you guys heard off Llanelly by the way?  I think I am going to bag it on the grounds that I can't get ahold of them and they still haven't banked my cheque.  And I would need to cancel trains etc in due time so that I can get my money back... 

• Who wants to be skinny anyway,

I agree.  I would hate to be skinny.  I would far rather be athletic than skinny.  Bring on the arm wrestling and the funky endurance things 

• BMI is Rubbish to, id bet most competitive rugby players, rowers and swimmers have a very high BMI, doesnt mean they morbidly obese as the charts would probably say.
  • Funky endurance things?  Is this a new sport ive not tried?
  • http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

This one is slightly different: (this was one the one I saw previously and I've always worked to)

For women:

10-12% = essential
    14-20% = athletes
    21-24% = fitness
    25-31% = acceptable
    32%+ = obese

• At 15 stone and large build you wouldnt believe how many skinny waif like people I pass in races.   Skinny doesnt mean fit.
  • BMI is a load of tosh.  Mine says something like "ah ah ah you are a fat toad!!  Lose weight"  when in fact, all it should be doing is giving me a gentle nudge.  So I will take that "swimmer" BMI badge ta very much Barley!

Yeh - it largely involves a day and a night out on the p1ss and standing up all night.  And swimming in a river.  Somewhere.  image

• Barley - but I can outrun you... 
  • PO I think you'd struggle to get to 10%...
  • This sounds perfectly normal. The way your weight works is not a straight-forward thing of eating produces weight, exercising loses it. Burning off 500 calories on a road does not make you 1 pound lighter when you finish than when you started - fat-burning doesn't work that way.

I've read that it takes 6 weeks before a change in exercise routine to produce a change in fat-burning. During the first few weeks your body just burns from what you're eating rather than the reserves in your body. Its only once its had a prolonged exposure to taking in less energy than its using that it makes a regular habit of taking from your stores.

Muscle growth works the other way. As soon as you exercise a muscle it can become stronger - therefore heavier and taking up much room.

This means for the first few weeks that you increase your exercise, you'll put on weight and become fatter. That is because muscles are altering, but fat stores aren't. After about six weeks, the effects of the muscle growth won't be as marked, and the fat stores will start to decline. That means you'll see a sudden burst of clothes being loose and your weight going down.

If I'm injured and miss a couple of months of training (or just lazy) I tend to see my weight go up a lot more in the first weeks that I'm back running than I stopped. 

• Depends if we're racing to the kebab van before it closes.

• I am a super duper drinking afferlete Nam.

I can do anything  image

• Ah yes those funky endurance thingies image