Forerunner 405

Looks like a nice piece of kit.  At first I thought "what, no map" but then I tried to remember the last time I used the map on my 205 ... and I can't.

What's with the "Europe" and "Pacific" models though.  Are they style differences, or will they only work in those areas?  Or is it a marketing ploy to stop cheap imports?  I know Garmin bods watch these forums so an answer would be cool thanks.

Comments

• has anyone actually tried one on yet  the dimensions stated 4.5cm wide and 7.1 cm long would seem to indicate its not going to be much smaller then my 205 ?
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Does look nice and I might be tempted ... but the problem I have with my 205 in comparison to the old 201 is that the screen is smaller, making the readout smaller. My ageing eyes can't always focus on the tiny screen fonts, and I suspect this will be more of a problem with the 405.
  • What I want to know is;

Will it work with my current 305 heart rate monitor? And do I need to start a whole new running log, or will the existing 305 software still work so I can continue adding my mileage & notes.

• Will it work with my current 305 heart rate monitor?

Yes it will image 100%

• I've just completed my first marathon and was going to treat myself to a toy as a present do you think the 405 would be the right choice as I currently just have an old stop watch but want to start improving and this looks like a good tool for the job and it looks nice!

• Have managed to get hold of a 405 - it is smaller than my 205 (still sligthly bigger than a normal watch). I will write a review once I've had more time to play with it but here are more my first impressions:

1) Using the touch bezel, menu options and sending data wirelessly to PC takes a bit of getting use to.

2) Much quicker at locating GPS signal.

3) Garmin Connect is a much better option for looking at training data instead of Training Center software. Need to figure out how to use it with SportTracks s/w.

4) Display is smaller than the 205 and can only show up to 3 fields instead of 4 on the 205.

So far I'am quite pleased with it - definately found the 205 easier to use to start with though.

• Will be interesting to hear what you think of this as I'm considering getting either this or the 305.

What's the size of it like?

Can you only send data wirelessly to PC?  Not sure my PC is new enough for wireless.

• Beanie 1 - I will take a photo of the watch later on my wrist so you can see for your self.

I believe it can only send data wirelessly - I have installed the ANT agent on both a windows XP and 2000 pc and it wrok fine. Slight pain of having to install the ANT agent and then authorise it on the Garmin Connect website if you want to download into Garmin Connect (caught me out). Also the Training Center if  will need to be upgraded if you're already using it.

• Anybody buying a 405 and wants to sell on their 205? (or 305). Mail me - I know someone who may be interested.

Cheers

• Itching to use my 405 which has just arrived BUT it has been delivered with plug adaptor not suitable for UK (looks like the plugs in Spain etc). Called supplier who knows Garmin have failed to include correct plug for UK. Will have a few days to wait to use it as I can't charge it up. I don't suppose anyone has any bright ideas about how else I could charge it up? Patience, not one of my strong points!!
  • You can pick up cheap adaptors easily enough. It's what I did when I got my 405. I called them up about it and they didn't seem to know what I was on about so I did my own thing.

• illegibly mine arrives tomorrow....! Has everyone who's got one already had the plug pin issue?

Cheers, BFB

• Mine has the 2 pin plug adaptor too - it is possible to use it in the UK 3 pin plugs you need to release the locking gate on the bottom two pins which you can do by inserting another 3 pin plog upside down into the plug and inserting the 2 pin adaptor at the same time. Probably won't win any safety awards for this!!

Or the other option is to remove the USB lead from the adaptor and use that.

What did Garmin say about supplying the 3 pin adatpors?

• Apparently Garmin have been told and will be sending them soon. In the meantime I have managed to charge mine with USB lead to laptop.
  • Where are people buying them from ? Haven't seen any suppliers with stock yet.
  • I had a look at these at FLM expo they look a bit better than the 305 but they are still a big 1970s divers watch, is there a danger of hitting the touch sensitive bit and turning it off?
  •  Recovery runner

Sweatshop had the first delivery in the country I believe.

Goldbeetle

You can lock the screen so you don't accidently change settings whilst running

• I have one on pre-order with Global Gizmos who say they are due in next Monday. I saw that Amazon had 5 left in stock last night which were supplied by expansys, so they are starting to filter through - not quick enough for my liking though!!
  • I got mine today via Direct Web Retail, and it too came with the european plug... quick trip at lunchtime to Sainbury's for a 74p shaving adaptor, and it seems to have done the trick (it's on charge under my desk as we speak).  It's charged up fine and allowed me to have a play with it.  The bezel is very nifty.

Can definitely recommend Direct Web Retail as well.  Ordered yesterday lunchtime, arrive this morning - free p&p using Parcelforce 24 hour service.  Also emailed them about the plug problem and they came back to me really quickly.

• Re plug problem Got a 405 yesterday Can be charged via a usb port or using the 2 pin adapter as supplied with the 305
  • i still dont trust gps for accuracy so i went for a polar rs800sd and love it.
  • For those who have had a chance to use a 405, one thing I can't seem to find out is whether there is an audible beep after each lap (as set in auto lap).

Ideally it should be possible to switch it off, which I think you can on the 305.

Cheers. Phil.

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    David Slatter wrote (see)
    i still dont trust gps for accuracy so i went for a polar rs800sd and love it.

I have both the polar rs800sd and the 305. 

The GPS tends to be far more accurate. Problems do, however, arise when running between v. tall buildings.

The main problem I have with my Polar is that it goes haywire in races.

Even if it didn`t the 305 seems to me to represent much better value for money but each to his own.

• Last time I wore my Garmin in a race was the Lordshill 10k and the 205 measured 10010meters.  Given that the measurers add a small %, I thought that was quite close image

What gets my goat is that when the 205/305 came out, RW tests and Garmin blurb said "this has none of the satelite lock on problems of the 201/301 and will find a signal in under 45 secs.

Now I read "the 405 will have none of the satelite lock on problems of the 205/305, and will lock on to a satelite signal in seconds"  or words to that effect.

I have to say that my first 305 used to take a couple of minutes to find a satelite signal, so I sent it back and I got a new one, which in the past 20 months has had no problems finding a signal in anything more than 30 seconds.

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Blackers wrote (see)

Last time I wore my Garmin in a race was the Lordshill 10k and the 205 measured 10010meters.  Given that the measurers add a small %, I thought that was quite close image

What gets my goat is that when the 205/305 came out, RW tests and Garmin blurb said "this has none of the satelite lock on problems of the 201/301 and will find a signal in under 45 secs.

Now I read "the 405 will have none of the satelite lock on problems of the 205/305, and will lock on to a satelite signal in seconds"  or words to that effect.

I have to say that my first 305 used to take a couple of minutes to find a satelite signal, so I sent it back and I got a new one, which in the past 20 months has had no problems finding a signal in anything more than 30 seconds.

Know what you mean.

I wish these people would cut the marketing blurb & actually be up front. 

I suppose the same could be said for most politicians - so they`re in good company.

To be fair - once the 305 does get signal (for me - usually 45-60 secs) it holds it pretty well.

It would be nice if someone would perform some objective tests comparing, say, lock on time between 301/305/405 or whatever.

There`s  what purports to be a `review` of the 405 in RW. What a load of rubbish. No useful info - just marketing pap. RW ought to be ashamed of itself.

• Had my 405 for a week now.

Quite a few problems and now watch has frozen completly (and yes the battery is almost full). Before this occured the bezel was freezing and the watch re-setting itself after 5 or 6 miles. Hopefully, this is a problem particular to my version and not a design fault but would be interested to hear if anyone has had similar experiences.

On another note; my watch came with-out a UK adapter, so had to use an adapater I already owned.

Also, the manuals do not discuss the need to download certain software in order to download the runs to the training centre. Had to ring customer support for help with this (who were very good).

Bit poor really for £260. Hoping that the shop will swap mine for one that works consistently.

On plus side- watch does look great and I think will be good with a reliable bexel that works cosistently and in the rain.

• For anyone who is interested see link below for photos of 405 worn on both a medium and small wrist:

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/garmin_forerunner_405.html 

• That's a great pic, No Legs - I agree completely with the comment on that page. My wrist is even thinner than the one in that pic - 14 cm circumference. And that's why I sent my 405 back before I even bothered to charge it & try it out. It just was totally uncomfortable on my wrist. I'm sticking with my 205.
  • Beetle - one of the other 405 threads rips RW apart for "that" review!
  • can someone advise, is the 405 better than the 305???  many thanks