Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options
    I was looking for it... and here it is!!!! Im a beginner, so perhaps I shouldnt be in here, but it's scottish so... Im in east renfrewshire nr glasgow & can't find any near by running clubs or races!! (not that Im ready for 1!) Just come back from a run... I live in the country so I'm fortunate for scenery.. have roughly 10 midgie bites on my neck.... :(

and nettle stings!
  • Options
    Hi Jenni, met up with a fellow woman runner from Glasgow and she was a member of the Womens Running Network based in Glasgow. I think its based in various community centres around Glasgow and women meet up and run together a couple of nights a week. Don't know much about it or who to contact but you could try the Council Leisure Dept who might know.

Welcome to running and this forum.
  • Options
    thanks jane! yeah, i'll definitely look it up... no excuses on my part, my new saturday job starts on the 9th and it's in the library (community & leisure dept.) so seeing as I now work for them, it shouldnt be a problem!!!x
    womens running network sounds perfect, if they'll take a slow ass b like me!x
  • Options
    Better get the council to cut the hedgerows if its so overgrown you get nettle stings ..... as for midges they fly at 2.5m/s so as long as you go faster than 6 miles/hr or go a different direction (from where there going) they wont be able to bite you. EEyin from Gourock .... what was that Avon product midges didnt like? .... Im off to Loch Lomond camping this weekend so I might need some.
  • Options
    Avon Napalm EEyin

T
  • Options
    dont have midges in the East Coast. Suddenly realised too late when i went on hols to Oban. As for womens running when Lived in Glasgow I know Bellahouston harriers met at Cartha Rugby club and they ahd a good number of women runners who went out together
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I think it's the Avon Woodland Fresh skin-so-soft range that's supposed to do it. (Although, Teflon's suggestion does have a certain something.....:-))

Only problem with the flight speed Eeyin - if you're sweaty and run through a cloud of the little b's, they stick to you and can bite you to their heart's content!
  • Options
    aye thats it the woodland fresh. as for midges they do not like hot weather ie direct sunlight, or windy conditions.
  • Options
    Does anyone know of a friendly club in Edinburgh, preferably in the vicinity of the South Side? One that caters for slower runners like me. I really want to improve my times and I think group support/training is the only way to do this.
  • Options
    Hi guys, I think I've swallowed a whole colony of midges over the last few months EEyin, even worse when i'm doing speed sessions.

As for nettle stings, I think i've become slightly immune to stings
  • Options
    Got my first 'DNF' at Haddington on Saturday! The heat was overwhelming, I couldn't seem to get going at all so hitched a lift back from the 5 mile mark. Felt like a failure yesterday, but am now referring to it as 'a tactical withdrawal'!!
  • Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere, dont think the council know we exist nevermind cutting nettles back! I think i run on private roads anyhows.xx
  • Options
    Hi there had a great run at the Fetterangus 10k and even managed to come home with a trophy for being the second female supervet. Does it matter that there was only two female supervets in the race!!!!

Sorry to hear you DNF MrsMac, its much cooler today.

• Options
    Mrs Mac... don't worry too much.. I think you were very wise! I backed out of Haddington b-cos of the heat... well done for the miles you ran.
  • Options
    Hi

the best stuff for midgies (and mozzies and not getting burnt) is AVON skin so soft bug guard (SPF 30)........its about US$8 and I get some through a friend every so often so if anyone is having trouble getting hol of the stuff let me know and I will getter a larger order next time!

Kat
  • Options
    I have decided to do my long runs at 6 am as last week I did 13miler in the midday heat. felt queasy and very tired afterwards. I had taken on enough fluid and carried plenty but the heat just did it for me. Here we do not have midges (NE Fife) but we do have small balck flies called corn thunderers and they get into everything. I have come back from runs with quite literally my face blackened as they stick to sweat.
  • Options
    Hi there, is anyone doing the Montrose 10k this Sunday. I entered online and haven't received anything in the post yet.

Boy wonder alot cooler here in Aberdeen today.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've just started a thread on Events for the Great Scottish Run, to see who is going and arranging a "do" for the night before.

If you will be there, please post your details.
  • Options
    Spoilt for choice this weekend... got the Montrose 10K and the Forth Bridge 10k... both sound very interesting and I've got a christening and so have to miss both! Have a good one everyone - hopefully it won't be too hot for you...
  • Options
    I have added a link thread from the Event search to Nessie's thread

• Options
    I'm doing the Forth Bridge 10k on Sunday, if anyone's around to say hello.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Boing for Jenny.
  • Options
    I'm also doing the Forth Bridges 10K (my clubs organising it) and from what I hear it's nearly full to it's 250 max capacity(im number 224).

After speaking to Stevie the race director on Tuesday night he said he was up to about 235 entries.

So FAJ let me know your number and I'll look out for you. Good luck to anyone else running this weekend

Cheers Barry
  • Options
    MM ✭✭✭
    Jane M - I'm doing the Montrose race on Sunday too. I sent an email the other day to the organiser because I hadn't receive a pack. She said they were being sent out over the next couple of days and that was a couple of days ago so hopefully it will be on my doorstep! Let me know what number you are when you receive it.
  • Options
    Hi M. got my number and info today. No 58. Getting a T-shirt instead of the mug advertised.

Flat and traffic free, may get under 60 mins again.

See you there.
  • Options
    Hi Jane,
    well done on winning your trophy at Fishie and good luck at Montrose - hope you get the time you're after. did you get on okay at Physio?
    no races planned for me until Buckie in September - it's supposed to be flat and fast...bit of a change from Fishie!
    Susan
  • Options
    Hi SusanB, thanks for your good wishes. Saw the physio on Wed and alot better today.

Did Buckie last year and was nearly last, don't know who told you it was flat there is one fairly short steep hill just before 9k, but it is a fast course. Haven't entered this year as too close to my marathon in October and I need to get long runs in somehow.
  • Options
    I am after a new paire of shoes. was wondering if anyone knows whats the best shop in glasgow. want to try and get sized fort he right shoe for my running style. any help would be great
  • Options
    GradgeGradge ✭✭✭
    Go to Achilles Heel in De Courceys Arcade just of Byres Road in Hillhead Glasgow West End
  • Options
    Hi Folks
    Haven't been on this thread for months.

I've got the begging bowl out this time.
    I'm organsising the first Inverclyde 5km Road race which is taking place on the 4th September. We need 200 runners to break even and to prove the sceptics wrong.

On the good side it's is flat as a pancake and dirt cheap to enter (£4 for SAF). Whats more its a perfect build up for the Great Scottish Run.

Any volunteers would be much appreciated.