Sub 3 Hr Marathon training plan

Has anyone got or know where I can obtain a training plan to run a sub 3hr marathon. My current PB was London this yr when I ran 03:18 - I want to try and do a Sub 3hr in the autumn and am looking for a training plan.

I tried the Smartcoach program but I prefer to train twice a day at least 3 times a week and the easy run paces it churns out seem a bit on the slow side

Anyone got any experience of a training schedule that resulted in them breaking the 3hr barrier ?

(I currently train 8-9 times a week doing approx 40-90 miles a week)

Comments

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hello Duncan  much too slow to offer any really to offer any real advice

I'm not a fan of smart coach myself.

But you could look at the training tab at top of page a few different schedules there

But don't know if you've already had but pay a visit to the FLM forum a few different  threads for sub 3  there you'll get advice and encourage from people who know what they are talking about

Good luck

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭

I'd get yourself a copy of Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas and follow either the up to 70mpw plan or as you run doubles already, the over 70mpw plan. Works for a lot of people. Then I'd mosey over to the sub-3 thread and tell us what brand of washing machine you prefer.

3:18 to sub-3 is a big step, but it can be done.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Matt,

Don't put the poor guy off my mentioning washing machines already...!

No, seriously, I agree with Matt that 18 minutes over c. 6 months is quite a big ask, so you'll need to train smart.  P&D is a good book and I followed their 70 mpw schedule and took 12 minutes off over 6 months.  Matt is also right that the sub-3 thread is good for advice and support so do mosey over if you like.

• Hail Hail

nah, bu@@er the sub3 thread.  Just run lots of miles, some of them fast, some of them slow(ish), and some of them REALLY fast.  To quote a great man - it aint rocket science.

• Blimey Duncan - 90 miles a week ? And you did 3.18 ? You beat me by a minute - but the only way I'd get to 90 miles a week is if you add the bike miles in too.
  • Hail Hail

Yeah but Cougie, you had to slow down to let a World Record Holder catch you up, and then beat you!!

• Thx for the info guys - I think I'll get hold of a copy of the book mentioned (the thought of washing machines makes me tremble...)

Cougie - i only did 90 miles for a couple of consecutive weeks at the peak of my training - normally average around 50-60. I haven't really done any tempo runs or speedwork for at least a yr  as I've been concentrating on the mileage for a couple of ultras I did. 

I'd love to do 120miles+ a week - just a shame that eternal pain in the butt (work) gets in the way ! I wish I could run every morning, have a snooze in the afternoon (like Paula R) and run again in the afternoon !