Firday 23rd May 2008

Morning all,

Bit of a cheat really as it's 8:40 Bajan time..

FL - have a good race!

What: Easy 8 miles later

Why: 40 mile weekend

Last Hard: Weekend

Have a spectacular day

Comments

• 90 minutes easy for me this morning I think...not sure gonna get any sleep though as I have a tonne of work due in tommorrow...

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: easy 6.5 miles with Rach d&d
    easy 5-7 miles at lunchtime
    Why: I have a marathon Sunday so don't want to overdo it
    Last hard: Tuesdays 5km
    Last rest: Saturday 17th May
    Lyrics: no but thats not unusual
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Firday?
    Long weekend - yippee - that means rain on the way....
    Training ? probably a rest day, legs a bit achey and hoping to do a couple of long runs this weekend. Might venture out for a couple of 'leg-stretching' miles but we'll see...

Have a great weekend.

• morning

all the very best to everyone going to edinburgh - looking forward to the reports from that one

dustin you're right - bank holiday weather looming of course

what - dunham massey 5k
    why - 1st of 5 in cheshire 5k grand prix series
    last hard - 3 days
    last rest - yesterday

any news on AF or scoobs?
    and where is nightnurse?

• SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Morning

Fin - Good luck to you too.

Gobi - Here is a quote for you: 'I did not start too fast, I died too early' Have a good run in Scotland.

What: Rest
    Why: Last big weekend (not as big as Trini's, only 33 miles)
    Last hard: Weekend
    Lyrics: No

Have a good weekend.
  • Moning all

WHAT -
     - AM - Tempo bike ride 10mile (17.8mph av)
     - PM - Hilly  bike ride 15mile
    WHY -
     - Cycled into work - will take a longer route home

LAST HARD : yesterday  - fartlak run & TT swims

Have fun all

• Morning!

Good luck to all Edinburgh peeps this weekend - including Fin (missed you off the list yesterday!) 

Good luck to Melli too at the tri

And I'm sure there'll be lots of other racing as well - so good luck to all of you.

Bank holiday weather is definitely on the way... but I will still head out cycling (I will I will I will)

• What: 4 mile run d&d, will hopefully swim tonight
    • Why: Bit like a rest day

Happy Leylandii Day to everyone!

• SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    I just noticed it's 'Firday'
  • OK

Tree-ning plans fir today:

8 English miles (not the Scots ones)
    Maybe a few cy-press ups, or maybe not.

Just yew wait for BR now.....

• Hiya,

Good luck FL, Gobi and FIN (anyone else doing it that I've missed?), and Mellifera.

NZC: I think you're right to be honest. I dont know whether I'll be able to run the whole first half of the marathon, although that will be my aim. I think its just a case of get to the end anyhow I can!

Open Water swimming last night was good, although the water was pretty cold - my chest felt quite tight, and on my 4th lap I got cramping twinges in my left calf. Managed one more after that, but didnt want to risk developing proper cramp, so called it a day at about 2km. Good enough.

What: nothing!
    Why: rest - 100mile ride in Wales tomorrow
    Last hard: yesterday

Have a fab bank holiday everyone!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

lyrics, finally yes.

Had a little run this morning to try and g et last nights awful one out of my head, it was ok.

What: 2 miles and some weights

why: weight still creeping up and I want to feel good with my running again, please!!!

last hard: all of it

last easy: monday

good luck all racers this weekend

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

thanks stickless, I think all the problems I am having are because of anaemia at the moment, could be wrong.

nzc, I must have got a vibe from you, only just read your post after I went and only did 2 miles very easy.  It was a bit better.

• Hi all

No bank holiday here!

What: 10K race in 46-43 this morning, slow but it was 35C & I haven't exactly been training much lately. 32K run with clubmate who is doing Comrades this evening.
    Why: Had to race due to inter club politics, helping a fellow Comrade tonight
    Last hard: the last lap of this mornings race it was hot
    Last Rest: Yesterday

This mornings race was three laps around the Marina and through the grounds of the Meridian hotel, was alright into the wind but was very warm when the wind was from astern. It was my first race as V50 and I was third in my age group not that there were any prizes! Late May is really pushing the boundries for racing in Dubai. Still I ran a very even paced race with every 1K split within 5 seconds of the same pace.

Club Politics: There are probably about 250 - 300 active runners in Dubai & Abu Dhabi, there are 5 running clubs, one tri club, three hashes and one Surf Ski club, all of whom wish to organise races in season which runs from about November to May. Every year there is a huge debate about events clashing etc, therefore it become very political to run in the events which fall outside of the best running season i.e. November to March. Its not helped by the fact that many of us belong to 2 or 3 clubs, a hash or two and maybe the surf ski club! Additionally there is one cycling club and many of us belong to that too! I personally am a member of three running clubs, the tri club, and cycling club!  I do't think anyone has joined all of the clubs yet!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    DD, why join all the clubs especially 3 running clubs??

Just had a massage and the girlie remarked that my legs are better than last week. Nice I thought but they dont feel as fresh :~0
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

uni doesn't recognize bank hols either, but might play truant Monday anyway.

Wabo - don't underrate anaemia.  Yes it is widely recognized, well understood, for the most part easily treated either with tablets or eliminating the cause but it can really hobble you.  Had a patch of anaemia before I was a runner, tended to go upstairs on all fours, and gave up going to the library altogether - it was on the third floor, no lift!

Me? 6.5 4/1 run/walk.  Pleased with that.  Took some work to think about on the way out, and thought about running on the way back, hence speeded up.  

So over the last week, counting Sunday's run, that's 23 miles.  The distance compares with the me of a couple of years back, although the times don't (1hr 30 for today's run, ok took in Waitrose for a loo stop, but that wouldn't have added more than 5 minutes onto the time).  Solution: so we are not going to look at the time, are we.

Go well all. 

• DD - Nice run in tha heat! I would also join the Surf Ski club! I run the one out here, so we don't have any clashes!

Lots going to Jockland by the looks of it good luck

No bank holiday here either

• Desert ManDesert Man ✭✭✭

DD - classic - we even had 4 hashes in Kuwait .... two ran during the week, one ran every blue moon and then we created another monthly one for Friday afternoon's when it was really really hot just for the sake of it !!  But no running clubs bar our weekly Tuesday 10k round Mishref.  The only races were ones we organised so no politics there.

I'm on hols in the lake district, but seem to be clocking up the miles with 5 - 10 miles each morning before hiking up the hills for the day ... keeps wifey and I slightly closer together pace wise.  Over 50 miles run this week so far on top of the walking, so I guess it has become a useful base training week.  The best run so far went up a valley next to Helvellyn on a rocky path and included 500m ascent  to 600m and then 500m descent - wonderful views.

• Afternoon all,

Track session last night, 5x800m of 4mins.

Struggled a bit with the first two reps, then things improved as the session wore on. Had a good last rep, which showed whats to come in the next few weeks!

1) 2:38  2) 2:39  3) 2:36  4) 2:36  5) 2:32

What:

am: physio session 4k treadmill already done, more fine adjustment and tuning to my running style, phys says running action much better he even said `I was beginning to get a nice long lazy stride that the good runners have` image

pm: 5-miles easy if I have the time, rest if not. A bit tight on time today, so may have to skip this one, only going to be slow anyways as I have hills planned for tommorow morning.

Why:

Recovery day and light endurance.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ah stickless, thanks, I know you are right.  People keep saying, but how have you got this way again.  Wll I won't go into details but it is a bit out of my hands shall we say! Keep taking the tablets!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    stickless well done on the mileage, I'd be happy with that and yeah, s*d the time!
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

No run day for me today.

HH - having tmes your recent posts I was going to ask if you wewre suffering from exam fever. Are you just finshing your second year?

Your session yesterday was impressive as is your 5 pace training targets. Having spent the past 2-3 weeks gettng used to runnng reps again I'm planning on starting next week on 1.5/3/5/10/20 at 85/89/93/97/7:00 which supports a 40min 10k. Over the summer I'm looking to get to 80/84/88/92/6:40 (ie 38mn 10k). I'm planning to reach that by end Sept (as a basis on which to build my winter training), but I'm optimistic that I might do slghtly better than that.

Have a good day all
  • Morning all,

good luck everyone this weekend. Must say a special good luck to FL - hope you nail it!

Stickless that's some great mileage: as always you're an inspiration.

What: 32 mins pool running with a pyramid
    Why: I'm allowed
    Last hard: being so sore from weights all week
    Last rest: Monday

Pool running is very weird, but it didn't really hurt, so I shall have another crack at it today.

Good runnings all and enjoy the long weekend.

• A'noon peeps.

Off on a days holiday today.

What: 45min steady.

Why:Need to and wanted to.

Scobos: Thanks for the well done to younger son. Now all 3 kids are into athletics !

Miss B watched with me the Manchester 10k, I'd taped from Sunday and announced after it that she wants to ''do a race'. !  She jogged over to her Grampas (about 1k away ) when I took her over at lunch-time.

You were right and I was wrong re our team, re last night. But that SPL  fixture list ... (Birkmyre just shakes his head in complete and utter disgust and disbelief .)

All the best to the Edinburgh racers at the weekend.

Have a good one peeps, if you can.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Here is my previous post again corrected for typos, spelling and syntax errors.

Good morning

No run day for me today.

HH - having timed your recent posts, I was going to ask if you were suffering from exam fever. Are you just finishing your second year?

Your session yesterday was impressive as are your 5 pace training targets. Having spent the past 2-3 weeks gettng used to runnng reps again I'm planning on starting next week on 1.5/3/5/10/20 at 85/89/93/97/7:00 which supports a 40min 10k.

Over the summer I'm looking to get to 80/84/88/92/6:40 (ie 38min 10k), which I'm planning to reach by the end Sept to provide a basis on which to build my winter training. However I'm optimistic that I might do slightly better than that.

Have a good day all
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Havent ben on for a few days, and havent read back, apologies if I have missed any news. We were at a funeral yesterday for a mate who passed away last week from cancer, he was 46...... quite a hard day all round.

• what - 5.22m
    • why - Steady state run
    • Last Hard - Tues
    • Last rest - Yesterday

Take care

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hi rfj, sorry to hear that, its a tough one. Take care.
  • Seems like you're having more than your fair share of hard times lately, RFJ.

Interesting to see that pace-breakdown Tom.

Didn't get out yesterday and wont get out today

What: rest
    Why: busy
    Last hard: monday
    Last rest: yesterday

Sunday should be fun, we're 'racing' the rowing club (some member overlap including their presidente) along the Thames, 5 miles out and back.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

RFJ - Take care.

Imski - sounds fun,  i've been known to race anything sailable on the river be it little boats or cargo ships

What: 6 miles with some short fast bursts
    Why: miles in the bank
    Last Hard: Sunday

• Afternoon,

RFJ - sorry to hear thae sad news

Good luck Sunday gobi - I'm amazed you'll be recovered enough.

What: 9 mile run on canal towpath - first 5 miles steady at 6.5 - 7 m/m and last 4 at tempo pace - 5.35   5.35   5.37   5.36. Felt hard but good to get some quality back and better than I thought after the weeks of inactivity.

• RFJ That's a big OUCH. Same age as somone who shares my birthday. I don't know why, but I was thinking exactly those thoughts during my run today. I'd have to live to 92 to be in my middle aged prime. Still, I feel as though there's a lot left to give. I only hope that there's close family to help out with shoulders and practical things.

Next run 0600 for a multi lap relay around the City Park. I'll make it my long run. It's a fund raiser for a club member's medical treatment.