Options

Tunnel Vision!

Comments

• Options

Thanks Dave - all sounds fairly straightforward. 

Doing nicely - can I just ask please - as you're from Wirral, are there many running clubs about?  I did speak to someone about one in Bebington but the times were difficult for me - do you know of any others that maybe meet more at the weekend and that cater for the slower runner (it's not for me you understand, I'm asking for a 'friend' - personally I'm like Wirral's answer to LInford Christie! image).  Sorry to go off thread folks.

Cheers,

NBFS 

• Options
    I am the queen of digression, NBFS! I can't recall when I last kept to a thread topic! No thread police round here....... image
  • Options

The free train service has always worked well in previous years so I doubt there's any need to worry about. From Merseytravel's point of view, its an opportunity for a lot of people who never usually get the train to see the service they provide. They would be incredibly stupid to mess anything up as there's the perfect opportunity for them to let people see that the train is a very good option for people to get to work. I'm guessing they'll be especially hopefully of that this year given the price of petrol. I'm guessing the guards will have it hammered into them not to mess things up on Sunday. 

NBfS - Birkenhead AC meet at the top of Levers Causeway. The weekend training sessions at 8am on Saturday and 9am on Sunday (or so I'm told, I'm still not convinced there is such a thing as 8am on a Saturday). We have a good spread of running speeds really so there  is likely to be people of your standard in the club already. The weekday times are 5.30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You should be able to message me on one of the buttons at the bottom of this post if you want more information.

• Options

I too will be coming from the wirral side, the train will just be full of runners lol.

whats the weather like up there at the moment, it is wet and windy down here in northamptonshire. What is the baggage system like ? do you have to queue for ages at the end to get it back?

Thought I would have to pull out last week I had an accident at work and bruised my ribs and couldnt breathe properly but thankfully they seem to be ok now, looking forward to getting back up to my old home townimage

• Options
    Glad no lasting damage buggerlugs  - i am coming by car with my friend and our husbands so they plan to drop us near the start and drive to new brighton to meet us at finish then we can return by M53 etc  - well that is the plan they they have made!!!!   perhaps a visit to Designer Outlets on the way home?????????
  • Options

Terrible place that Designer Outlets place - believe me you don't want to go there.  It's just full of shops! image

Liverbird - it's great that's there's no thread police around here - makes it a lot more interesting.  Just read through this whole thread and have to say it is all quite random at times.  Patricularly your Merseyrail related dreams, and the second prize?  2 years free travel ! image

• Options
    Hmm............... Shops .............Food.............Hungry after race..............
  • Options
    TGI friday`s at the outlet village,Jack Daniels baby back ribs.... mmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    DeeCeeDeeCee ✭✭✭

Jack Daniels......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Who needs ribs

• Options

I'm going to Cheshire Oaks today. If you live in Cheshire, I don't think they let you in at the weekends...(at least that's what Mr LB has always told me)! image

It's always chaos there on a Sat/Sun so I tend to go through the week. Good in the Nike/Adidas shops for clothing sometimes. I don't rate Reebok much, and they've got Puma there too, though the brand has been hijacked by chavs somewhat.image

I had a very unpleasant experience in Pizza Express there though and told the management I would always tell my friends how awful it is, so you can be my friends now! image The manager was rude and unprofessional and I won't darken his door again. You, of course may have a different experience, but I'm a great one for good customer service and I didn't get it there.image

I'm with Dee Cee - easy on the ribs and extra JD for me! image

• Options
    Have to fight your way thro the great unwashed at the weekend to get into Cheshire Oaks.. There was no one there last night at 6:30, When I went to the gym there
  • Options

have only been to Cheshire Oaks once - just before this Easter and it was mid-week and nice and quiet - so will probably give it a miss now thinking about the crowds - other halves will not be happy bunnies being dragged round crowded shops...........   really looking forward to race - but hope weather is better than now  - Gawd the rain's heavy.......

• Options
    Lots of great mens shops And I can spend all day in Borders
  • Options
    DeeCeeDeeCee ✭✭✭
    Cheshire Oaks is awful but then I HATE shopping.  The only decent place is Borders.  I spent 2 hours in there last Saturday morning.  All on my own, no child, spent £80.
  • Options
    You weren't trying !!! I can spend that much in 30 mins
  • Options
    DeeCeeDeeCee ✭✭✭
    Half price so I bought twice as much. 
  • Options
    Can't beat getting a pile of books and sitting with a coffee in Borders of an evening
  • Options

I've just been in Karen Millen.....image I think they charge you to go in! image

Spent a few quid today. Got a really nice jacket in Adidas, resisted everything in the Nike shop. Was disappointed that the booby shop had EVERY size Shock Absorber except mine image including sizes like 30G!!! image My nine year old has a 32" inch ribcage and she's not fat. If she had G cup boobs she'd never be able to lift herself up off the floor!

Bought a few bits in Ted Baker and spent way more than is reasonable in Karen Millen. Ran out of time as I'm off to DLL in a bit for a run and a swim!

Dave - I'm assuming you're a member at DLL Cheshire Oaks? What's it like?

• Options
    Dear all - just a note to remind you to get to Pall Mall early on Sunday so you don't have to queue too long for your timing chips. We've got 20 desk points for collection in numerical order so you should be able to collect fairly quickly. Numbers are now over 2,000 (2,054 and counting)so we have improved on last year (1,800 I think). Water at 5K and 7K and finish.
    Everything going well just at the moment. Goody Bags, t shirts, water and medals coming in tomorrow.
  • Options
    Just another gym.. It's OK
  • Options

Wow very impressed - only applied on Monday and got my number through yesterday - number 2015.

By the way - word of warning to those Jack Daniels drinkers amongst us - it is the work of the devil!!  I lost 2 days of my life whilst in New York because of that stuff - and we were only there for 2 days.  Mrs NBFS was not a happy bunny.image

• Options
    Ooh!!  its getting closer - now its warm today - wonder if Sunday will be the same - will try and not bring any Manc rain with me..........
  • Options

I'm getting quite excited about it, even though I've been a bit remiss with my training for this one. Can;t have lost that much fitness in three weeks, surely?image

Calves still tight from climbing up Snowdon, but otherwise OK. Might do a little 3m tonight to loosen off...

Alan - what's the obsession with nut products in my goody bag? Are you trying to bump me off??image

Seriously though - three of our family were involved in the Liverpool Women's 10K - I won't need to buy tea till Christmas! image

• Options

Sorry been missing for a few days.....internet connection ropey!

Not built for speed......I'm a member of Ellesmere Port running club, club nights Tuesday and Friday, but some meet Thursday and a small few beginners (like me!) meet on a Wednesday too. We meet at Whitby sports and social club at 6:45 for 7:00. The real runners have a choice of 8 or 5 miles on Tuesdays....a few of us do 4ish, a lot slower! On Wednesday we do around 3 miles. Fridays are for the fast ones, and they do about 6 miles in about 40 minutes. It's a really friendly, supportive club. Some run nearly every night, and are happy for company!

I'm worrying about the hill............is it really a mile long?.......is it really as steep as I remeber it?

(I've stayed in Borders till closing time many a night!!!)

• Options
    i don`t know if i`ll be able to run this race now as i pulled up in training on tuesday with sharp pains in my knee,i suspect it could be my I.T.band.iced and stretched and rested but pulled up again this evening,the pain was much less but i thought best to stop as a precautionary measure to try and give myself every chance to be fit for sunday.
  • Options

I still don't know what this IT band is. I think I mustn't have one! image

I do know that it is apparently very painful and not something to be trifling with if it "goes" on you. Poor Jakesy image It's only a race, you know.....they'll be others.

If you're not running, can we position you in your shopmobility cart at the exit of the tunnel with the oxygen mask at the ready? image

• Options

Doin Nicely - that is interesting.

Wirral Dave - thanks for the info re. the club in Birkenhead but for me the times just aren't suitable - I work in Manchester and so don't get home until at least 6.30 PM - weekends are out at the moment because I'll be doing my LSRs as part of my marathon training.

I could do Ellesmere Port for 6.45 though.  Woud I just turn up Doin Nicely or is there someone I should contact?

Cheers,

NBFS

• Options

Hi All

Just gearing up to leave overcast Northamptonshire to make my way up to sunny Liverpool (he says hopefully) am really looking forward to the run now, and might bump into some of you there. Not literally of courseimage

• Options

Forecast is pretty good for Sunday - not too hot and no rain.

• Options

If anybody needs a place to shower and change after the race I can recommend the council run Lifestyles Millennium gym (Ground Floor, Millennium House, Victoria Street, Liverpool L1 6DL, Tel: 0151 233 4123) which is basically just round the corner from that big long bus stop thingy opposite St John's centre.  I used it last year, and in summary, friendly & helpful staff, clean & modern facilities, no membership needed and cheapish.  I can't remember how much exactly so it must have been cheap!

I remember the first time I did this race there was a tailwind which practically carried you down the last bit.  The last two or three miles are NNW and, according to the BBC weather site, the wind on Sunday will be coming from the North East (9 mph).  So not quite a total headwind but certainly no help in the last stages.  And they're forecasting 23 degrees; phew what a scorcher!  But both of those things could change by Sunday.

I've knackered my leg so will probably just be jogging round.  I managed a PB the year before last (with the help of that tailwind) so the course certainly has PB potential and personally I think the terrors of the hill out of the tunnel are overstated - just pace yourself.

Good luck everybody.