Birmingham Half Marathon

Comments

• Just returned for the Great Midlands Fun Run - a quality 8.5 mile course with superb marshalls and organisation. Didn't the bloke who organises this - Stacey - used to have something to do with the early 80's Birmingham peoples marathon?

If they were to fund it I reckon he could pull this off.

That said Brum - and this must be said - is really devoid of a quality half mara route. Point to point from Alexandra stadium to Brum central will take in some really built up areas that frankly aren't worth looking at whilst driving.
  • Krissie, the Midlands XC fixtures can be found here.... http://www.birminghamccleague.co.uk/

I admit that Birmingham could not produce a scenic 1/2 route, but with a bit of thought a flat, traffic free, smoothly organised event could be a credit to the City.

Hey organisers - you're not ticking any boxes so far!

• Re: the scenic route, well the Wolverhampton Half/ Marathon (7/9/08) doesn't promise much in the 'scenic' department but is still held successfully and goes ahead with plenty of support.

Why can't a race in Birmingham? (That was a hypothetical question!)

• Because they can't get their hypothetical fingers out!

I agree about scenery, but as Jules says, WOlves half does exactly the same but that's a great wee half to do (fantastic support along the way).

BCC have really missed the boat here, like a lot of people, I wanted to get behind this and actually support the thing, but our team's going to go to Stroud now do to the uncertainty.  We really wanted to run this too, as it has great potential. As for running through scenery, personally, I am not too bothered.  Apparently last Mnoday's BUPA 10 000 had some quite scenic parts, but as it was chip-timed, well organised and flat, I was too busy trying to get a PB (which I got!) to notice Downing St, The Eye et al.  If Bham's course wasa flat one it would have been the same. 

• But it must be remembered that Wolverhampton half/full goes out of the town into the outlying areas, albeit on main roads but it is in the country, then there are the small towns before back to the tree lined avenues on the way back to west park. Brum however would mean Alexandra stadium to the City Centre - going into the city via the built up outlying urban areas. It's not as flat as some think either, Brum is set on series of ridges - I used to run for near Walsall to Brum centre regularly and it's quite undulating.
  • Thanks for that Mike.

Well I wont be doing this anyway then if that is the first day of the cross country league. Think I will go for Kenilworth instead. Will look forward to coming out and cheering though.........if it goes ahead.

• HOT OF THE PRESS

I understand from a certain Sarah Guest that a full announcement WILL be made next week. And as for the route, I think it might go out towards edgbaston way before coming back into the city (probably down Broad St), but that's unsubstantiated rumour.... image

Let's just hope this isn't yet another false alarm for those of us who still want to enter

• Thanks for updating everyone Emma image

I'll confirm the exact date of the launch for you all as soon as I can by posting  a message here. If there are any of you that still want to enter and haven't already gone elsewhere for a run then I will personally guarantee you a place.

Emma might well be right about the route too but obviously I couldn't possibly comment.....

Sarah

• Waiting anxiously..........My finger is ready to click enter on the Carver Wolverhampton 1/2 but Id rather support the Brum one if its gonna happen.
  • Sarah - you're def it's going ahead?  If so, we'll hang fire one more week or two.
  • I've been holding on for this for a long time!! And have turned down other things. I hope it is worth it!!
  • eh?

where the feck am i?

• This race is going to be amazing. Although I don't live in Brum anymore you gotta remember that the city put on regular top class athletics so I'm sure they'll deliver and i reckon the delay must be for a big reason, I'd guess that it'll be a big announcement with a huge national or international profile and significance and will be well worth waiting for. I've just done the Great Midlands Fun Run and this step up will be just what I need. I can't wait to run this race in my hometown, it'll be part of history! I urge everyone to get behind it, if you've booked elsewhere on the sameday, cancel!! Birmingham's Got Running Talent...
  • Chio - like you i am excited about getting behind a home race.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the route.  I want to get behind Bham - I want the city to be firmly put back on the running map.

Here's hoping.  There's a LOT of support for this out there waiting to happen, let's hope the publicity pendulum gets going again on opening!

• Hi Everyone

You didn't hear it from me but the official launch for the Birmingham Half Marathon will be on Wednesday 11 June. We'll announce our sponsor, unveil the route and open entries on this date. www.birminghamhalfmarathon.com will be the official website and yes I know it doesn't look like much at the moment but it will look very different on Wednesday.

I know it has been a long time coming but this delay has allowed us to secure a five year sponsorship deal so hopefully you'll understand why we have been holding out until now. We wanted to secure the future of this event so that we can build on it year on year.

If you have any problems entering feel free to e-mail me at /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]arah_guest@birmingham.gov.uk]sarah_guest@birmingham.gov.uk.

Thanks for your patience.

Sarah

• Fantastic news Sarah and thanks for keeping us all going! Spread the word everyone, if it's a 5 year deal you know what that leads up to, this will become the best race in the country up to 2012. I had a feeling that it would be big, especially with the city's efforts at securing the American team! Go, go Brum, where's me trainers I'm off out now!!
  • i will look forward to hopefully doing it next year.........when hopefully it wont clash with the Birmingham cross country League and about 500 potential entrants. Maybe something to bear in mind? Sarah, will you be looking for volunteers to help out on water stations etc. I would be more than happy to help out.
  • It's about time!   I will log in next Wednesday to the website with great anticipation.....hope we are not let down by the authorities.

Only issue for some of us who have not done a half marathon will be that its only 21 weeks training.

It seems a shame that a lot of runners are now doing other things because Birmingham have been so slow on this really signficant event for the City. 

• Sarah - thanks.

I will awake nice and early, fingers on buttons ready!!!!!

I think if it weren't for the fact that we'd had regular updates from you Sarah, a lot of people would have gone elsewhere a long time ago - so thank you for your input.  5 year deal eh?  That's exciting.

I so hope that this is the success I dream of - Birmingham deserves richly to be firmly be put on the running map.  We don't realise sometimes what a great city we live in, or how lucky we are - and this could help raise the profile (esp in 2009 but this year also).

Can't wait!

• Divine - couldn't agree more. Our great city deserves to be up there with the best known races, I'm hoping our race will quickly rival the Great North Run, wouldn't it be great if we could get thousands. A five year deal in the run up to the Olympics means it will get bigger and bigger, but lets all make sure we kick off with a bang. In the classic 'pyramid' sales style, if all of the running fraternity in Birmingham and the Midlands could get 10 pals or colleagues to take part and they then encourage their friends and colleagues, we'll soon have a sell out- I wonder what the capacity is going to be? I've got all the team in my office up for it. Can't wait for Wednesday!
  • Anyone know how to change the forum topic description from 'Anyone have info on the race yet??' - to something like '26th October - entries open 11 June' - might attract help runners from around the UK, current title looks a bit negative, so the boys tell me? Bham Snail can you do this? Sarah?
  • So have we decided on a route yet?
  • Bham SnailBham Snail ✭✭✭
    Chio, how do I change it?
  • I dreamt the route last night....