Montrose 10k

In 22 years of running I have never been involved in such a shambolic event as this.

RW on line entries advised, traffic free, k markers, water station at 5k, free energy drinks, limited edition china mug to all finishers, prizes etc.

I know RW cannot check the postings but everything written about this race was wrong.

The organiser diddent know where the start and finish was, no lead car, start delayed by 20 mins, lead car went the wrong way, lead car couldent get up a bike lane section, Montrose high street is quiet on a Sunday but not traffic free as the local police will agree, no k markers, no water station or water at the finish, no energy drink, I finished third and with my team mates were the first team (after all runners but the winner went the wrong way, following the lead car) no prize for third and no team prize, what a shambles and all for £7.50, and the limited edition mug turned out to be a t shirt.

Be aware all is not what it seems.

Comments

• MM ✭✭✭
    My running partner and I were there too and agree that it was a total farce. There's an article in the Courier today with the organisers admitting it was shambolic. Liz McColgan is reported to have stormed off without claiming her prize so that says a lot. At one point our hopes of what we thought was going to be a decent time for us were cruelly snatched away when one marshall told us there was 2 miles to go - that really hit us hard. There was in fact less than a mile! We were really gutted about our time but then we found out the route was actually over 11K so we have managed PBs but unsure of the exact time, which is a total annoyance. We had travelled through from Edinburgh and would at least have liked a bottle of water at the end and not some attitude from the organiser! Don't think we'll be entering next year unless we get it for free!!
  • I went too - this was my first official 10K - only it wasn't! Having travelled to get there and paid my £9.50(!)I was surprised at the lack of organisation to say the least and disappointed that on such a warm and humid day there wasn't even a cup of water to be had.

Come on race organisers - give us some semblance of value for money - how about a free entry for next year?
  • Join the Sal registration scheme and if the race has a SAL permit you get a £2.00 reduction in your entry fee

Don't be put off if this was your first race as most are well organised, try the Forfar 10k on the 24th a well established race over a fair countryside route.
  • MM ✭✭✭
    This is the only badly organised race i've been too although my other races have been much larger affairs with thousands of competitors - much less chance of coming last you see!!
  • I did this race and have posted elsewhere about the organisation or lack of it. The main organiser didn't care when I asked her about lack of road signs etc., No-one would have got lost if there had been signs pointing out the route. Also it was very dangerous having to cross main roads without marshalls, only helped to cross the road once by the police.

Is there any way of getting the correct distance ran by everyone?

• MM ✭✭✭
    I think a formal letter of apology and explanation from the so-called race organisers is appropriate and definitely some indication of the exact distance of the wrong route so we can at least try and work out our time!
  • A friend of mine is going to be in the Montrose area at the weekend and is intending to go round the route taken on his bike, he also did the race (?) on Sunday so knows the route taken, I will advise his findings next week sometime.
  • MM ✭✭✭
    Brill thanks for that, will be interesting to know exactly how far we ran!
  • Pity this race didn't go as planned. Check out the Forth Bridge 10k thread as that race, run on the same day, seemed to go well, even though it was the inaugural race. Perhaps you might want to try that instead next year.
  • Cheers for that but The Forth bridge is 130 miles away where as Montrose is 40

There is always next year !
  • I agree with all the comments made above. This race could have been a great event but was spoiled by a total lack of organisation. It was definitely more than 10k, I have asked the organiser to clarify the distance but I am still waiting. I did however get an apology, apparently she considered cancelling the race as she knew previously that there would be no water, distance markers etc, obviously she felt these things were not important! I doubt very much that I will enter the Montrose 10k next year unless we have some guarantee of a more organised and professional event.
  • Yes, it was a bit of a shame as the route has a lot of potential and the changing facilities were good, but water comes from the tap and plastic cups are ten a penny at Costco also a can of road line paint from B&Q for a couple of quid provides all the mile and direction markers on the road that you need. After all there were around 120 runners paying upwards of £7:50 each, I dont think its too much to ask.
  • I was one of a group of 3 running the race. When we spoke to the organiser before the start we were told that her mother was extremely ill in hospital. Also that her boss was supposed to have been at the Sports centre at 08:00 onwards to take entries, organise the water, etc but had not turned up.

This doesn't quite square with the story given to Amanda whereby the organiser knew that the organisation was poor in advance of the event and considered cancelling it. Nor does it account for the inadequate marshalling, lack of signage and poor traffic-control.

I was just appalled that people had driven considerable distances to run this event only to be treated very shabbily, and, after parting with their hard-earned money.

An article in this weeks online edition of the Montrose review puts the race distance as close to 12K. Read it here http://www.montrosereview.net/
  • Thanks Andy, looked at the article. Personally I find it hard to believe it was an extra 2k, but if it was I ran a very fast time for a 10k.

Also I heard it was her (the organiser) brother that hadn't been well.
  • Well at the end of the day 131 people paid good money for a product that they did not receive, the pre race info and the product delivered on the day were miles apart, money under false pretences in my book, I also notice that the race charged a extra £2 for non SAL members yet there was no mention of it on the SAL web site, did it have a permit ? or where has all the money gone ?