44th Classic Freckleton Half-Marathon

Comments

• i was wondering about the starters / finishers figures.  how many didnt turn up, and how many dropped out during the race - i didn't see many bodies by the roadside depsite the wind....
  • Well done everyone!!!! 

I had a great time. I got a PB (2:08 I think).

I will be entering this again next year!

Cheers Brian

• 500 finishers was about what I expected.

Reasons/excuses are many and varied fot not turning up.

I'm aware of about 4 or 5 people ho started but didn't finish.

• Thanks for a great race Brian.  Got a time just outside my PB but in ideal conditions would have beaten it easily - I'll have to do it next year!!!

It was nice to take part in a slick and well organised race again after a couple of recent events i have done, although after 44 years I suppose it should be well run!!!

• sioUxsioUx ✭✭✭
    Brian- when's next years and can i enter it yet?
  • I saw quite a few people blown off the course. If you try looking in the top of the nearby trees, you'll find quite a few of the 205 missing runners.

I'd been dreading this racegiven how poor my hayfever has been this summer, and expected to really suffer. But by running slower than usual I managed to actually enjoy a run for the first time in weeks, and could see what a great, well-organised race this was. It was very nice to see the whole village getting behind the event, with cheers from the punters at all the pubs along the way. There was been much debate recently about the people of Liverpool (and other areas) not supporting their events which is damaging road running - its nice to see a community which truly embraced the race, and I'm sure the dedication the organisers put into ensuring everyone is happy is a big part of that.

That last straight was a nightmare with the head wind - just glad it stayed dry as trying to run into that in driving rain would have been impossible. As an underperforming runner at the moment, times were irrelevant for me so I didn't mind the wind. I just treated it as a training run and it was a very, very enjoyable one.

I have to say, the bags are definately the best momento I've ever had from a race and something I will use a lot. Thanks a lot for that, and for putting on a great race again this year.

• This was the first time I've done this race. Been meaning to for the last few years, but for one reason or another I've not been able to.

Well, I can certainly see why it gets such rave reviews. Was VERY impressed with the organisation and the brilliant atmosphere. And will be doing it again next year!

Another reason for posting on here is to plug my justgiving websiteimage!!!  This was the first of a series of runs I'm entering over the next 6 months, and by doing so I'm trying to raise money for The IA (the ileostomy and internal pouch support group) - Merseyside Regional Group.

Here's the link to my justgiving page: http://www.justgiving.com/fidds-running08

Many thanks!

• Bp

Thanks for a great race well worth the money paid the crac was great the organisation was great the crowds were great and the race well that goes without saying great!!

• Thanks for a great race Brian & all the helpers.

The wind was feirce & made it alomst impossible to really enjoy the course, but what was clear was the great organisation and friendly banter from the locals, marshalls & fellow runners. I'm sure the galeforce conditions put off a fair few runners as well as ruined some plans for the stalls & funfair rides, but i still posted a PB. I'll be back with the family next year - hopefully the weather will be a little kinder. Thanks again, it was great to be part of the oldest half marathon in the country. My running bag is a great momento.

• Thanks, was a very well run race.

If I'd have been faster I would have felt like a Formula1 car in wind tunnel testing!! Some of those headwind sections were energy sapping, especially around 7 to 8 miles and near the finish. No PB for me, but wasn't unhappy with the time considering that wind. Only my 3rd half so wanted to clock sub 2hours and did that comfortably.

Great support all the way round from locals and friends n family of runners, and the marshalling was top notch. Well done to all who took part.

• Wirral Dave......I `m totally with you mate about that last stretch hee hee hee! what a grueller.

BP ......SM is a man of his word and you will get that bottle.......are you at Lancaster and Morcambe HM again?.....................or another localish race?

Not trying to start anything but will i-pods be allowed next year?

These are my excuses for my performance.

1. Still not recovered from my cold/bronchitis
    2. No I-Pod to keep my spirits up
    3. Strong wind which seemed 90% of the time in my face
    4. No bet to win against Poorly Feet.
    5. Forgot to take my energy drink
    6. Forget to have my Muller rice. (as recommended by PF)

Can anybody beat that?

• My excuse for a poor run: I was on the course at 8.30 until 11.30 then took a 15 minute break to eat before putting the last few bits together on the field from 11.45. I had to conserve energy on the course to make sure I had enough left to do the presentation. I think you'll find that beats you SM.image

I may do the Lancaster half in September. I won't be doing the one on November 9th because I won't race on Remembrance Sunday.

I-pods: UK Athletics did not introduce a ban in the updated rule book so they will not be banned at Freckleton.

However, we had instances on Sunday where at least 6 people that I know of were unable to hear marshal instructions because their music was too loud. Therefore, there will be a note in the safety instructions that the use of music devices will be discouraged

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Well, I don't think either of you had 'poor' runs, considering your several responsibilities and an exceptionally blustery summer's day. I'm delighted with 1:45, even though it's 3.5 minutes slower than last year.

Just to add some petrol to the smouldering embers of the portable music system issue, I'd suggest that, regardless of UKAs decision not to ban them, six people ignoring marshals' instructions is six too many. Granted, it is only 1.2% of the runners finishing but one serious injury or fatality could damage an event's reputation irreparably - in my very humble opinion.
  • I got 2 hours 1 minute and I was aiming for under 2 hours. I was on track for a PB until I turned that corner towards the end and got hit by the wind again. I think it was mind over matter but it took me by surprise and I struggled to pick up the pace again after the initial shock. i am pleased with my time though considering the breeze! Well done everyone that got a PB, hats off to you! I was extremely impressed by the martials, they were all smiling despite standing in that wind and everyone had an encouraging word to say. A lovely race - I will be back!!! thanks Brian!!
  • Swittle I knowz you are a master of the English language and a gifted literary romantic,but don`t get carried away my friend. 

Are we saying that the only people who ignored the marshals instructions were 6 guys wearing i-pods? If they had any sense they would turn them down when they approach a marshal.

Anyway they should not have been wearing them at Frecky on Sunday.

I honestly believe that wearing the i-pod makes you more careful in that you always look around before you cross the road etc.

If you just relied on your ears you might get hit by a pushbike!

BP .......might see you at Lancaster then......the beer will keep.

How did you know they couldn`t hear?........and how do you know that everybody who wasn`t wearing i-pods heard and obeyed the marshals?

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Unlike boxing, one knockdown is generally enough to finish a runner's career.
  • Please, let's not get into the whole i-pod debate on this thread.image

At the end of the day, I give out safety instructions and a briefing before the race as part of the (rather long) risk assessment. It's up to the individual whether or not they heed the advice.

Thanks for your postive comments porkplodder.

Do i take it you'd all prefer it if i went back to a hot day next year?? 

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Brian, while I appreciate the sentiment in your opening sentence, I am certain you would not wish to deny me the right to respond to SMs remark.
  • Hi all,
    I only entered this race because I tried to enter the Chester half, but was too late. Now I am in a quandary as to which race to enter for this time next year, as I really enjoyed the course, atmosphere, organisation, etc. and the 2 races are only 5 weeks apart.

Will it be on the same weekend next year?

Maybe I should enter both, use Chester as a training run and Freckleton for a PB, as I am sure I could have knocked 4 mins off my time if Hurricane Gilbert hadn't shown up.
  • Bloody good answer swittle....hee hee hee!
    Now you heard what BP said.............let it drop.
    (.)(.)
    ) (
    ( y )

Just wanted to see if that works on RW or goes wobbly like on Fetch.
    OK of for a run now.........where`s my I-POD?
  • brian porter wrote (see)

Too much info PrestonTerrier. Besides it was 10 miles!!

Please thank the Hudesrfield Posse - they're as much a part of this event as everyone now. 

Results link

Photos link

Nelliecat, I've copied my posting from a couple of days ago. Hopfeully you just click on the stuff above and it takes you there.

Swittle, of course I don't deny you the opportunity to respond to SM.

Lagerman, the date for 2009 is Sunday 21st June at 2pm. 

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Very well, in the spirit of ongoing Yorkshire:Lancashire harmony, I am happy to concur. My wish is that all events are as safe and enjoyable as possible, and the work that BP and team put in year after year is without any question very highly regarded, judging from the comments on this thread post-race image
  • How do you get the results for the fun run?
    My girlfriend's 12yr bro did the fun run, but he does not know where he came or what time he did. lol
  • Wellsie, the fun run was exactly that - no times and no placings. No plans to start timing the fun run.
  • I know, I've always been bone idleimage
  • Nearly finalised the entry form for 2009

Should be ready to go live within the week

It will probably be cheaper to enter online than to do a postal entry

• Brian has anybody ever told you what a nice pleasant smile you have?.............you look like a bloke who just drank a pint of
    Bombardier.(do you think I can save that same bottle till next year?)

Poorly I am sorry about what I said before.......I bet u fell out with me now.......I am in Scotland for 3 days.

Swittle you are a gentleman and a scholar in every sense.......I love your word-craft.