Entering races and then getting an injury

For the first time, I have entries into a couple of races I'm not going to be able to make due to a spot of stubborn plantar fasciitis. There are no refunds or deferments allowed - so can I do anything with them? Is it bad form to offer my race pack to someone else?

Comments

• Yes, it's bad form.

I think there's an issue with the organiser's event insurance, but mostly I think that if the organiser, who has gone to huge trouble to put the event on for you, says he/she doesn't want you to do it, that's the least you can do.

Also, if you post here offering a place, the RW police will come and squash your thread. So it's bad RW form too!

I'm glad you're doing the right thing about the PF. Best of luck with it.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    No I think it's fine to offer your place to someone else so long as you have the permission of the organiser - but I'd expect an organiser to be fine with it - the only exception might be FLM and events where the places are in such demand that they don't allow swopping to prevent a market developing.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Some races allow you to swap entries - you should check with the organisers.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    This is an extreme example but you get the picture

I'm shocked to hear that such things happen.......must be an age thing

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

It's fine to pass your place on but the organizers should clear this first.

This raises a question as to the type of event. If it's a small event run by a club and by volunteers I'd go strictly by what the organizers say. But if it's a big mass participation event run by a corporate outfit, and with a price tag to match, I'd be more inclined to think I was a customer rather than a runner and to therefore give or sell my place with less reference to the organizers.

• I see what Mutts is saying. I wouldnt want to mess up anyones racing though - so dont pass on the place to someone likely to end up in the prizes and cock up someone elses chance of getting summat.
  • LOL don't worry, I don't know anyone with a cat in hell's chance of winning anything!

The main race in question is the Nottingham Half, so big, expensive image mass participation thing. With 8 or 9 weeks to go and an injury, there's no way I'm going to make it! Their website clearly states no refunds or deferred places. Ho hum. I'll email them and see if they'll let me pass on my entry.

Thanks! 

• Yeh email them and see what they say.

That's the only thing you can do really

• Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    No refunds or deferred places...  Well, you're not asking for a refund, and you're not asking to defer.  See what they say.  And accuse them of blatant profiteering if they refuse!
  • Well I think to be fair on them, if it's an injury or something that's quite common among athletes, you can't really expect them to dish everyone's money back

Everyone gets injured.  That's a chance you take doing sports.

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

As a race organiser myself I can predict that about 10% of the entrants don't turn up for one reason or another.

Now we don't mind swapping entries provided we are told about it, and anyone who doesn't is probably taking best advantage of the 10% that don't turn up. After all they won't need goody bags/medals/t-shirts/etc.

To my mind that makes then cynically exploitive

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

I once dropped out of the Nottingham event. They said I couldn't swap my number and I also had to return the chip or be charged £10 I think for it. That was a lot closer to the event though, and I expect once all the numbers and chips have been sent out it's just more difficult for them to change the details. If you are dropping out now they migh agree to a swap while there is more time to update their systems.

I've also dropped out of a smaller local event. I knew it was full up so I phoned the organiser and they were really grateful to get my number back from me as they had a waiting list of runners wanting to do it. Mind you I still didn't get a refund. But I agree that's the chance I took when I entered.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Definitely get the organiser's consent to swapping numbers.  I appreciate that to the masses, who came 3rd lady in the Hogweed Trot 10k 2008 is of little importance.  But I was pretty miffed when the name of a lady who didn't run was read out in place of mine.  All credit to the guy who finished 1 place ahead of me for wrecking things nicely.