Help! Worst run EVER

I'm running my first 10k race this Sunday and have been pretty faithful when it comes to following my beginners 8 week programme. I've been running 3 or 4 times a week, during the week on a treadmill and at weekends outside. I'm slow but that doesn't worry me and I'm aiming to finish the 10k in 1hr 10mins. I did a 5k race 3 weeks ago that I did in 30 mins 10secs.

Last Sunday my plan was to run 9k, then on Tuesday I was supposed to run 40 mins easy and today 30 mins briskly and then have 2 clear days rest before the race.

However, on Sunday I just kept running, made it to 13k (which was 5k further that I'd ever been before -so i did kind of overcook it a touch!), uncharacteristally sacked off my Tuesday run and today got on the treadmill to do 30mins and just could not do a thing. I could barely put one foot in front of the other, I was all off balance and wobbly and even when I tried to just walk I was all out of kilter. I spent a total of about 10mins on the treadmill of which about 2 were running.

I've had bad runs before, where everything just felt supersonically hard but I've always managed to just keep going but nothing like this.

My big worry is that come this Sunday for my first 10k (which these past 8 weeks has been everything I've been aiming for), that I'll have lost everything and won't be able to finish because I'll have done absolutely nothing for a week.

I'm really proud of what I've achieved and how dedicated I've been as I am not a natural athlete and started out with no fitness at all. But what has happened? How quickly do you lose fitness? Has anyone else had this? Should I try and run between now and Sunday? I prefer running outside - should I go for a gentle 30mins on Saturday to try and get my confidence back? But what if the same happens again??

Please give me some reassurance! I'm convinced my fitness will have just vanished come Sunday...

Comments