Keeping the munchies at bay

Since returning to running earlier this year my weight has reduced and now levelled off where I feel relatively comfortable (BMI of 21).

Because I exercise almost every day I am constantly hungry. I fill most of the hunger gaps with fruit (two apples and a banana during the course of the day) but between these I tend to digest lots of sweets, my favorite at the moment being liquorice allsorts and Tooty fruities (Yes my children do know that I'm nicking their sweets!).

Can anyone recommend a healthy, tasty low calorie infill that isn't either more fruit (including dried) or sweets.

Comments

• MartinH -- have you tried the "Snack-a-Jack" range of foods - they do packets of "Skips" type crisps in different flavours and also rice cake type things. Also the "Go Ahead" range of foods are relatively low calorie. The other alternative is something like the Jordan crunch bars - or Trekker bars (cereal bars with added bits of fruit, chocolate chips etc - you can get different ones).

• Try Jaffa Cakes - the lowest fat biscuit available and good for a quick sugar boost!!
  • Martin, you'll probably stave off the gnawing-guts feeling for longer if you include some protein and a spot of fat (sorry - I'll wash my mouth out later) in your snacks. Energy bars are the easy but expensive way - alternatively, things like yogurt and fromage frais, a cheese, tuna or ham sandwich, a handful of nuts with your fruit, or a pre-prepared tub of leftovers (I'm quite happy to eat cold risotto, couscous or bulgur as a snack the next day - you might prefer cold macaroni cheese :-)) might hit the spot.

Must admit, I'm a sweetie-muncher too, although Skittles, Werthers (sugar, fat AND salt - what more could a runner want?) and chocolate are my tipples.

Cheers, V-rap.

• I had forgotten about Jaffa cakes - definitely a good idea!

I'm not worried about fat v-rap, more about getting leftovers down the front of my shirt (He! He!). To be honest I used to favour a Melton Mowbray pork pie but you can't get them (or for that matter any other pie) here in Germany.

I have started adding an extra sandwich as well, but its not the sort of thing you can just pop in your mouth if you know what I mean.
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    A mouthfull of raisins/currants/sultanas helps with my sweetie habit.
  • I find that cereal is always a good choice. Also, a warm drink, such as tea. And Scandinavian style crispbread - have a couple of these with a bit of butter and a few slices of cheese or ham - definitely hits the spot.
  • Have you tried Malt loaf ?

It is sticky and sweet because of the raisins, low in fat and high in carbohydrate. Good for a pre or post run snack.
    Declicious
  • Wasn't hungry before I read this, have to go and get some malt loaf now.
  • Malt loaf - I had forgotten!

.....errrrr....also not available in Germany, bugger!
  • Malt loaf - YUM! With a scrape of half-fat cream cheese, of course.

Martin, German bread is wonderful. You must have something that will be an adequate substitute for malt loaf.
  • If malt loaf is not available in Germany, try fruit loaf, which I know is available in Germany, pre-sliced and is easy to eat without any spread - full carbs and dried fruit - great before and after a run

Whizzy
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    My snack-pack that I take to work includes:

1 banana
    1 apple
    1 plum/nectarine/peach
    2 large slices malt loaf (no spread)
    1 snack pack of crackers
    1 choccie bikkie (can't get through the day without it)
    1 yoghurt/yoghurt drink

+ a sandwich and a carton of fruit juice for lunch.

Cereal for breakfast, pasta and sauce for tea, coffee and muffin for bedtime.

How do I find the time to work between snacks?
  • Bagels - can you get them in Germany? My marathon-running boyfriend lives on them as between meal snacks. PLus you have the choice between sweet or savoury. He's a cinnamon and raisin bagel fan - I prefer sesame.
  • So now we know who the person is that eats bagels! I've never seen the point of the nasty little things with the density, flavour and texture of cosmic anti-matter being available in a country that can bake good bread.
  • I must be a sad case as I love all the snacks that have been mentioned!! Mostly though I agree with the malt loaf fans - and for an instant sugar hit I can recommend Jooster jelly beans (they're great!)
  • Thanks Whizzy

I'll get Mrs H to have a look for fruit loaf next time she's in the supermarket (or I could even go myself.....aggggg!)
  • I never go out for a run without my jelly beans, just in case I need that little bit of extra energy (honest).
  • Hi Martin,

I am surprised you have not consulted the wisdom of our own RW Homepage, which has a feature outlining '21 nutritious snacks for runners'. Actually, handle with care: one of the foods listed there is my all-time favourite, chocolate milk, which I could happily drink by the litre.

I read something in one of my books on running nutrition that basically said that if your core calorific intake is nutritionally sound, you can relax a bit about the extra, as long as you are getting the carbs you need for energy.

I thought Malt Loaf was a somewhat portly singer from the seventies or eighties.......?

DC
  • chips from the chippy...tinnes a tommy sauce ! !haha
    Ty Jordans breakfast bars, or nutra-grain bars, very nice.
  • Consider the nutritional delights of popcorn - low fat and good for a quick fix...

Also I'm with Doobs on the case of the tasty Bagel - try a blueberry one from the Kings Cross Station bagel outlet next time you're there!!
  • I think Frankfurt to King's Cross just for a bagel might be a bit excessive - but then if they are really good.......
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Swear by malt loaf - got one in my bag for later this afternoon.Soreen also do a banana variety which is gorgeous. The only down side is taht I have to wait until wife/kids are in bed otherwise I have to let them have a slice........
    Also I never toast it and never put anything on it ( but then again I don't do dairy products).

Hursty - we could always post you out a caseload....
  • I’m a major malt loaf fan also – just eat it as it comes no spread. Being a bit on the lazy side I tried the pre-sliced variety but found because of its stick consistency it just reforms into one solid mass :o)

Other snack I Keep in my desk draw are:

Bananas
    Oranges
    Jafa cakes

And my top choice at the moments is:

Foxes – Big Softies
    97% fat free and come in 3 flavours - cherry & almond, apple & sultana, and orange & lemon a good cheep alternative to an energy bar

Will
  • I don't mean to spoil the party, but am I the only one who doesn't like malt loaf? Too many raisins for my liking. For a sweet-fix, I like a few digestive biscuits dipped in my cup of tea. In fact, I've been known to make tea just so that I can eat ym biscuits!