Lucozade Sport Super Six: Pleased of Higham

Introducing the third member of our Lucozade Sport Super Six… Pleased of Higham

The Great North Run has always been on Pleased of Higham's "must-do" race list, and this October she'll be going all out for a sub-1:45 finish.

Steve Smythe will coach Pleased of Higham directly on this thread and she’ll also be posting her training progress here on a regular basis. She’ll also feedback the fuel and hydration advice given to her by the team of sports scientists at Lucozade Sport so make sure you check back regularly to find out she gets on.

Feel free to ask questions and post messages of support, but please try not to hijack the thread.

You can read more about Pleased of Higham - and the rest of the team - by clicking on the article link at the top of this thread.

Otherwise, settle back and enjoy! 

Comments

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Congratulations on being chosen, PoH.

Enjoy the training, stay motivated and, with Steve's excellent advice, I'm sure you'll have a very successful race.

• Hi Sue , congratulations on being selected - it's been an exciting few days hasn't it but now reality hits and the work starts and I look forward to us comparing notes as the weeks progress.    Good luck!
  • Hi Sezz

Thank you for your words of encouragement, I shall be needing that in bucket loads over the next ten weeks. I am really excited about the challenge ahead and happy that the news is now out.

Just come back from the first run on my training schedule, easy 55 minutes, and now it starts.

• Well done & congrats Sue

Hope to see/meet you & other 5 on Oct. 5th

I Will be on the front grid as well ( as an ever present ). Will be watching your progress with interest

good luck

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭

Well done Sue on being selected! Look forward to meeting you and reading about your training!!

• Hi Geordie Nick

Thank you for your well wishes and support.  I'll look forward to meeting you on the 5th.  It will certainly be a day to remember.

All the Best

Sue

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Congratulations, Sue, on getting into the team!

I'll be following your progress with "Speed Endurance" particularly, as that's a bit of a weak spot with me....image

• Hey PoH

Congratulations on getting in the Super Six. It is just starting to sink in. I hope we can all meet up some time soon. No news on meeting Liz but I hope there is some other opportunity for us all to meet.

Good luck with the training prog from Steve, looks tough.

Take care Dump Truck (Guy)

• Hi Sue

You kept this quiet! Does this mean an end to Thursday night 'run and cake'???

Kate

• Hi Kate

We were sworn secrecy.  Run and Cake are still on, we just have to run to my schedule !!??!!

I'll give you all the gossip when I see you.

Sue 

• Hi Joddly I think this speed endurance training is going to be tough.  I’m entering a 5k race tonight, I’m not expecting great results, it’s a really hot today, but it should be a good benchmark to start my training programme from. I’ll let you know how I get on Sue
  • Good luck for your 5k. I'm going to see Mamma Mia instead!!! image
  • Hi CC2 and Dump Truck

Are'nt we lucky.

I'm just beginning to come back to earth and preparing myself for the hard work ahead.

Had a meeting with the lovely ladies from Lucozade yesterday, had to keep a food diary because of my erratic eating habits, quite good but I need to eat more fish and vegatables. The glasses of red wine were fine as they contain anti-oxidents and scumpy cider is acceptable too, all in moderation of course.(Told you they were lovely)

Hope we meet up soon and  look forward to chatting over the coming weeks.  Good Luck with your training plans.

Sue (PoH)

• Am I Last? (No your not, nowhere near)

Don't forget to sing along.

Running with Chris tonight  or trying too.

See you soon

• I'm glad that red wine is still allowed - phew!

Will be checking your progress very closely - aiming for 1.50 myself this year so any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Chris should be a good pacer - will he be wearing his wetsuit???

• Good luck with the 5K. let me know how it goes.
  • Hi Steve

What a scorching evening, 5k consisted of running 2 1/2 times around a beautiful park, plenty of support as the sun was shining.

Delaying the result as you can see, achieved a not too exciting 23.52.07, according to my Garmin I ran an average 4.44km pace.  I really did find it quite tough particulalry in the heat. I made a real effort to hydrate during the day, drank Lucozade Body fuel before the race and made sure I ate something a couple of hours before.

Legs felt quite tired early on, I was hoping for things to improve mid race and I would be able to pick up my pace but it never happened.  Felt I managed to maintain a fairly constant speed though and was feeling optimistic until I spotted I was over 18 minutes at the 4 km mark. Recovered very quickly after the race and felt I could run some more, my pre-race warm up was probably a little light as I was concerned with the heat  that I might regret it during the race but perhaps I should have been brave enough to do more.

Having said all that I really enjoyed the race, there was a great , friendly atmosphere and it gives me a benchmark to judge my training effort over the coming weeks.

I shall be stepping out the door shortly for a 40 minute run which will include 10 minutes at half marathon pace (8  - 8-15), it's another warm evening so I'll take plenty of fluids.  Will report how I get on later.  Partner is coming along on his bike to encourage me.

• That's a fine 5k effort in the heat. On my converter it equates to a sub 1:50 half marathon, so as you say, an excellent benchmark early in the training programme.
  • What a beautiful evening, just got back from my run and thought I'd report back before I have my shower and tuck into a jacket potato.

Goal this evening was to run for 40 minutes with 10 minutes at half marathon pace. Phew! it was hot work. My Garmin does'nt pick up a signal until I'm about a mile from home so not too sure on my pacing at the start, it was around 9 -10 I guess, once I reached the Lakes and picked up a signal I continued for another 5 minutes at this pace.

Up the tempo after that to around 8 minute pace, it was hard to stay steady as my Garmin seemed to fluctuate between 7.30 and 8.30 (or perhaps that was me I am bit of an erratic runner)  but eventually managed to get into a steady rhythm. Considering how tired my legs felt at last nights 5k they felt suprisingly good and I began to enjoy it, did'nt feel under too much stress and I also wasn't under the pressure I feel when I'm in a race.. After 10 minutes, however, it was nice to ease back and be able to hold a conversation with my partner as we headed home.

Always try to stop short of home so I can walk the last half mile or so as a cool down and sitting here now I feel in a good mood having enjoyed the effort , I shall reward myself later with a glass of wine.

Next session Saturday morning 7.30am with my long term running patrner, we're scheduled to do a 90 mintue steady run - shall look forward to that.

• well done good running again.

I suspect it's the garmin showing an erratic display rather than your pacing. I have the 405, and while the interface is frustrating, it's amazingly accurate in recording splits (autolap) - my half marathon at the weekend it was getting mile markers within metres of the actual markings

you deserve the rest day and the wine!

• Hi Sue

Strangely enough I had the same problem with my watch today showing erratic pace changes... must be the heat! 

• Hi Sue

Looking at all the training schedules I have been very lucky. Rest day for me today and I have felt guilty not getting out but it is a welcome relief for my knees. An optional 30min easy run tomorrow for me.

I will be thinking of you at 7.30 in the morning while my 4yr old son is dragging me out of bed to watch the Saturday morning cartoons.

Have a nice weekend

D.T. image.

• Hi Sue.

Hope you enjoyed your run this morning.  You certainly seem to be getting a benefit from the coaching.  Looking forward to meeting up with you and the rest of the motley crew at some stage.  I will watch how you are all doing but may not post too often as I am househunting/moving jobs/married etc.
  • Hi Sue

I hope your 7.30am run was cooler than my 11am race. Scorcher!

• I had a pretty tough run this morning and it was all my fault, I was ill prepared, late up so just a cup of coffee for breakfast, feeling dehydrated , Chinese takeaway and wine last night  and late to bed - not a good combination. 

Even at 7.30am it was hot and just got hotter. Some how managed 9 1/4 miles in the 90 minutes  (trying for 9-10 pace), ran with two friends both 1:45 half marathoners and they found it pretty tough too so I took some comfort in that, it was'nt just me  Did have to stop on route to rescue a family of 7 weasel babies who had decided to sunbath on the road, Mum must have gone off to find breakfast. 

I have two rest days so I will make sure I eat and drink (water) regularly,  off to the seaside  tommorrow. My running partner and I have planned my speed session for 7am Tuesday morning, hoping to miss the heat, we will see how that goes.

CC2 - How did the race go?, I was thinking of you this morning, glad that I was'nt racing, the heat just kills me. Hope you did well under the conditions.

DT - Hope you managed to have bit of a lie in, enjoy your run tommorrow but avoid the mid day sun as it looks like another scorcher.

BtS - It sounds like it's going to be a pretty busy time for you. I'm really looking forward to meeting eveyone as well.  Did you run your 10K? How did you get on? Not the best weather conditions for running a PB but some like it hot!

• Well done on todays session, especially in this heat - I think everyone running today musta had some form of dehydration, though the wine & chinese prolly didn't help image

Best of luck with the training anyways! 

• Thanks Vicki

I suppose we must'nt complain about the weather but it does make things that much tougher. I'll lay off the takeaways before my next run, just pasta and water for me!

• Sue,

Yes I did the 10k, got a personal worst, but am reasonably happy - most of me survived.

BtS