Lactic Acid!

Hi
Does anyone have any advice on how to clear lactic acid out of your legs? I am training hard for a triathlon and for the last couple of weeks, have noticed my legs getting stiffer and harder to run with!
Suzie

Comments

• I think the conventional advice is to jump into a cold bath (as cold as you can stand) after you get back from training. Also make sure you stretch after training but before getting into the bath.
  • Are you doing any easy sessions ?

Do loads of stretching and get a sports massage once a fortnight.
  • Hi Suzie, do you know that lactic acid only stays in your muscles for up to 2.5 hours after exercise, after that it is absorbed and used by your body.  If the tightness you are feeling is the day after the run etc then you should be looking at tight muscles.  Maybe increase your stretching before and after your training runs, concentrating on gastrocnemius, soleus and flexor hallucis longus (big toe tendon).

I also agree with the previous posting regarding having a professional sports massage every 2 - 4 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Dunantin

• it must be lactic acid crystalization that is hurting and getting your legs stiffer and stiffer.

In that case, listen to the above, massage your calf or ask a sport massager to do it for you. It helps.

good luck!