Lucozade Sport Super Six: keep going lass

Comments

• Tracy

If you want to do the fast 90 minute week 4, then I would adapt it slightly as I would like you to try and get a slow 2 hour run in before you run faster so this is now (looks like a punishment for swapping around!):

week 2: 90-105 mins slow (11:00 - 12:00)

week 3: 115-120 mins very slow (11:30-12:00)

week 4 fast 85-90 mins (sub 11s or faster)

week 5 2 hours to 2 hours 10 slow (11:00 - 12:00)

• Never..... never.... surrender          Bring it on image

Did my easy run will report on it shortly when I've freshened up.  Can I come out of the naughty corner now? image

• Well.... so much but best laid plans.   I've been relegated to the back of the bathroom queue by the men in my life (husband and son in case anyone is getting any other ideas!!)  so, here goes, food for today....

7.15 am, cornflakes and skimmed milk and fruit smoothie

9.00 am, coffee image

10.30 am, small granary roll, boiled egg, water cress and fruit yoghurt, finish 500 ml water started am.

1.00 am, cheesy mushrooms with garlic bread, 6 oz steak and chips  (departmental pre wedding lunch, I was going to choose something really healthy but then thought no, I'm going to choose what I would normally choose!) image  and 500 ml water, but I did pass on the birthday cake/kit kats and various other treats flying around the office.

3.25 pm, Large Orange and a banana,  500 ml water. image

4.30 pm, 500 ml water

6.00  pm  half a lucozade energy bar, 500 ml body fuel image 

7.00 pm - 60 minutes easy run with 500 ml lucozade hydrate

soon - pork chop sandwich.  Only having it to get rid of the taste of lucozade and to have some post run carbs and protein.

and later I'll have my obligatory low fat horlicks before I go to bed....  zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Run report next ..... 

• Just as last week, I found the "easy run" harder,  although my average heart rate of 151 didn't indicate that - it was the lowest average heart rate I have ever recorded on a run so I must be getting fitter already, either than or my heart monitor is up the creek!  

I was tired, mainly because of the heat (no windows to open at work), the unusally big lunch and it's tired week anyway.  I did have a power nap before I went out and it was still about 23 degrees whilst I was running!

I did the same route as the long slow run on Saturday but in the other direction and without the added on bit .  My ankles/calfs felt tight for the first 3 miles and I seemed to find it difficult to pace at the 11 minute mile level - it was either somewhere between 10 and 10.30 or 11.30 and 12.00.  However, the miles splits do indicate fairly even splits overall.

Mile 1 - 11:17

MIle 2 - 11:12

MIle 3 - 10:46

Mile 4 - 11:01

Mile 5 - 10:54

remainder - 4:56

Total mileage covered - 5.42, average pace 11:05,  pretty much spot on where I needed to be.

Once my ankles settled down, I started to get the "floating along" feeling and kept a relaxed posture and steady pace, naturally increasing my speed on the steady inclines.    

I stopped exactly on 60 minutes, figuring that the schedule says 60 mins, so I may as well save my energy for tomorrow's tempo run and use the last quarter mile or so to walk and warm down before my stretches.   I could have comfortably gone on though which was encouraging considering how difficult I found the first couple of miles.

Right I think the bathroom is free now so I'm going for a nice soak in the bath image  will catch up with everyone else has been up to later.    Tarar a bit!

• Re Lo salt - it does have lower sodium but its potassium levels are just as high as normal salt. My mum has kidney problems and her doctor has told her she'd be better off having a smaller quantity of sea salt. She's not happy, she loves her salt!

KGL, I'm very jealous of your steak (not so much the chips though). I love meat but current financial woes mean I can't ever buy it. That said, it's the club BBQ on saturday so I will at least get some pseudo meat in the form of dodgy burger or sausage image.

• I don't like low salt, it may have the same flavour but not the same texture.  I'd rather have less of the real stuff!   I'm the same with butter - won't touch margerine or spreads with a barge pole!
  • Hi Tracy,

when I did the Merida 50k mountain bike race last year at Penrith there were salted crisps at the food stations obviously the organisers must know some thing.

I have been using the Lucozade Hydrate which has sodium in as a recovery drink and Lisa Hacker from Lucozade said it was her fav' too.

Could you please E-mail the exercises for my tendon plus the info about uploading pics/vids, thanks image.

Talk about small world, St. Jason's bro-in-law lives in Storth a couple of miles out of Milnthorpe.

Great running.

D.T.

• Steve - I'm a bit confused about tomorrow's run.....    "Tempo or 45 mins alternating the two paces" ....   Does that mean I should run the whole time at threshold pace  or do that for the beginning and end and do the interval stuff in the middle? 
  • Hey Tracy, Thanks again for the run; it was especially enjoyable thanks to the downpour! I shall analyse your first 2 days, but if you could get another to me that would be ideal - looking good so far. I see you liked the recovery, good to hear, that should be pretty effective post- hard session!

I am really pleased you have been thinking about and passing on my advice (the hydration detector thingies are called osmoreceptors, but it is the concept that is important!) Depending on the weather, intensity etc. the average lady will sweat ~600ml and ~3 grams of salt per hour, which blows government guidelines of 6 grams a day straight away! The hydrate should be spot on for this on a hot day and the hydro active for a session of less than an hour on a typical English day. You know the rest.

Sending Multi-Vits tomorrow - let me know if you run out of anything! Well done Tracy you are doing brilliantly     image

Tess
  • Tracy

Good run again.

Thursday run - either run 10 mins easy, then try 20 minutes close to 10 min miles, then 10 mins very easy.

or 10 mins easy, then 20 minutes of varying sub 10 and 12 minute miles per minute ie 10 fast efforts, then 15 minutes slow jog recovery.

Either aren't particularly hard on their own but tougher after what's gone on before

• Another clip of my training last Friday, dedicated to Dump Truck - (it's the first bit you need DC)  if you find you can balance ok, try progression by doing it on one leg.   I didn't have to do that on this day but I think my trainer was trying to make me look good for the camera! 

It's really tough but great for your core stability as well if you can master it.   You can buy stability disks which are smaller that this contraption but do the same thing.

hope your ankle gets better soon....

core stability and leg strength

• Good work in the gym!

I defintley need to be doing some more of that- a slight ITB injury means I am taking it slow- but will defintley see you on the start line at GNR Tracy!

• KGL my head is spinning with hydration and water and recovery and salt and healthy eating. I think I'm going to have to re-read the last 3 pages at least twice. But it sounds like you're having a ball, which is probably the best bit about all of this. Good on you!
  • And can you explain in all this when you fit in normal life, have you got more than 24 hours in your day. I'm with Roslyn missed a few days and you've added 4 pages of health and fitness, and all you need to know about salt.

Well done on fitting it all in and your definitely progressing well in great leaps and bounds.

• Who said anything about having a life aswell?? image

I'll test you on it later Roslyn....image

• Tempo run tonight and after Steve's clarification I had to make a choice - , take what appears to be the "easier" option with some minute speed intervals or jut go for it - 45 mins with mid 20 minute section at around 10 minute miles..................  hmmmmmimage        Which one do you think I picked?

Well those that know me well, which is probably none of you will instantly know the answer....  not being one to wimp out and take any  easy option, I chose the latter on the basis that after today, I can rest for two whole days  image......before I achieve the longest time on feet I have ever done on Sunday - 90 minutes........

So here's the report ......

Plan says 10 minutes easy - ran for 10 minutes, surprising faster than easy and my first mile came in at 10:39.   At exactly 10 mins though, I picked the pace up... and up... and ran faster comfortably for the whole 20 minutes  

Mile 2 - 9:30

MIle 3: - 9:38

Mile 4 (jog recovery)  11:38

remainder 0.29 - 3:39.

Where did that come from????     Was it too quick Steve?

Total time on feet 45:01,  mileage covered 4.29, Average heart rate 155 and it stayed at around that level for the whole of the tempo section.... must get this monitor checked - my heart rate has dropped by 10 beats per minute in the last 2 weeks????

I have to confess though that by end of the 20 minutes, my ankles were starting to complain.a little and  were refusing to bend during the last 15 minute jog but with some serious stretches and now sitting with my feet in my foot spa with iced water in, I feel fine again.  

I've enjoyed this week and can't believe that we are already nearly at the end of week 2.   I have two whole days of rest now until my long run on Sunday so I am going to try and keep away from they gym, perhaps do a gentle cycle ride on Saturday so that I am full recovered and ready for the next challenge.

In the meantime, I'm going out tonight so I am going to follow DT's example and get some guinness down me ....the girlie kind with blackcurrant in and I'll only have 2 half pints maximum but I think I deserve it! 

Will do my nutrition report for Tess either later or tomorrow, I'm off to get my glad rags on now and see if anyone recognises me in the pub, now that my picture is in the national press!  image

• Enjoy your night out KGL!

By the way, having now done both the 'normal' tempo run and the alternating one I'd say it's more difficult technically to do the alternating session. It really forces you to think about your pace all of the time. However I was more physically tired after the 'normal' tempo run. The weather may have played a part in that though, it was much nicer tonight with a little drizzle, even if it was still quite warm.

• Great! Go and have a good time you celeb!

I have a typical Monday and Wednesday to work with, so perhaps a weekend nutrition day would give me a good general idea. Ensure you rehydrate effectively tomorrow morning!

Tess 

• On paper it looks too quick, but you are making such progress at this rate you will be up with Jason!

If you were comfortable then fine and your heart rate shows you probably weren't doing it too fast,.

and this might be your half marathon pace!

The idea of running at approx half marathon pace is not to build up any lactate and I think you probably just about managed it though on these sessions you need to run fast relaxed and not flat out, or anywhere near.

Great work. well done.

You certainly desreve a Guiness or two. Enjoy the rest and stock up on carbs (and Lucozade) for Sunday

• Thanks Steve - I was comfortable at that pace - wouldn't have been able to maintain it for 20 minutes if I was anywhere near flat out and apart from my ankles stiffening I could have gone on but I think that is more to do with the fact that I have trained everyday since last Saturday so they are ready for a break........   apart from sore heels though, no aches or pain today.... so far.....

I'll slow it down next week but I have to say it felt good to be able to run comfortably at a reasonable speed - legs felt as though they had more spring and power in them,

• Here's my nutrition for yesterday:

Porridge with honey - I had this the previous evening at about 11.00 pm because I was hungry

hence -  still full of porridge so no substantial breakfast -

6.00 am   3 rich tea biscuits and cup of tea

8.15 Banana plus 500 ml hydroactive

10.00 am - 11 olives, handful of seeds, cup of tea

12.00 pm - Turkey salad baguette -  I've been told that Turkey is a really good recoery protein and they are taking loads of it to Bejing to feed the British Athletes...??, Muller Fruit Corner Yoghurt, except I had the one with the chocolate balls in it!  Figured the fruit is just syrup! 

1.30 pm - finish 500 ml water from am.

2.00 pm - tea

3.00 pm - 500 ml hydrate

3.15 - Tea

Run with body fuel

7.30 pm Vegetable samosa with green salad, home made potato salad and coleslaw as oher day..  (ooop, no protein and forgot to have my recovery drink)

9.30 pm - 1 pint of guinness and picked at a few communal chips

11.30 pm - recovery drink - bit late but better late than never!

Off to Shurgborough Hall (in Stafford Bryan!) this evening.   Picnic in the park kind of thing with live music.    2 consecutive nights out ?   My goodness, I know how to live it up don't i!!  imageimage    Think it's possible that I might be partaking a little more than two glasses of guinness - hope I can stay awake and mobile for it!    Have a good day all.....

• Steve - how do you know what your lactate threshold is and therefore how fast to run on tempo runs?  image
  • Well, well well.

And here you are! Just been reading the last 6 or so pages and things are going great for you arent they? Love the vids by the way, you are looking so fit and healthy.image

Keep going lass, you can definitely do this!

• Lactate threshold varies from runner to runner but its basically a pace you could just about manage for 10 miles.

If you go much faster than that, you start to build up lactate and invariably slow down.

• Going really well Tracy. I think RW should give you your own forum after all this, as it has been great reading your training. When the D.T. gets over the finish line at the GNR it will be down to all the invaluable info you have sent through about achilles. The vid was good and I get the idea about leg strength some thing I thought I had from biking but as it is proving running is a different ball game. image

• Glad to be of help DT and I am very flattered by your comments, image.   Glad you like the vids, there might be some more along soon.....  image       However, your success won't be because of anything  I or anyone else has done  - it will be down to your own hard work, drive and determination and you seem to have plenty of that!    Hope the heel is improving!
  • Hi Tracy

Thanks for all your help with the picture downloading, I think I've got it sussed and will try some filming over the week-end.  As you say if I can't manage it I'm sure my 15 year old daughter can.

Enjoying catching up with your training, you are really focused and improving so quickly.

Hope you enjoyed your picnic in the park, do you ever feel tired, all I could manage last night was a sit down on the sofa watching mindless TV.  

• Yes I am  tired at the moment - look at the time and I'm still in bed!!!     Getting up now though before I get bed sores!!   I've spent the last two weeks watching mindless telly so it was good to get out and forget about nutrition and running for a few hours! 

Might go for a gentle bike ride this afternoon to get some air in my lungs ....and get some early nights next week instead of sitting up til all hours readng other people's blogs!!   

• I'm hearing that Tracy! It's infectious this forum/blog watching. I've been working into the early hours all last week and the week before with a project I'm doing... it's killing me going to bed at 2am and getting up at 7am!!

Well done too on the running... I think you are doing superb and the results are proof that your hard work is paying dividends. My core workout has slipped the last couple of days... must try harder

• I've had a really lazy day today - lazed around in bed until lunch time reading magazines, ....  only got up because I was hungry!   The rest of the day I spent having a long bath and doing some gentle stretches to loosen my calfs and heels ready for tomorrow's long run, followed by relaxing /sleeping in the garden and a feeble attempt at housework!   Feel thoroughly relaxed now - just what I needed.....

I've planned a lovely route for tomorrow's long run but I think it's probably too long to get round in the time and speed I have to run, although I could shorten it by running it from home rather than the gym.  

Tomorrow will be the furthest I have ever run outdoors and the route I have mapped is pretty much all off road along canals and nature trails that I used to struggle to cycle a couple of years ago.  It will be quite poignant if I can do it so I want to do it well.     On the other hand, I don't want to overdo it so I'll see how things go in the morning and might save it for next week's 2 hour run  ..... (gulp) ....image

Here are my weekend  nutrition habits Tess although I wouldn't normally have my breakfast at lunchtime!!   image

1.30 pm  - Porridge with honey, cup of tea

Lucozade Recovery Drink

3.00 pm tuna, cheese and jalapeno pepper sandwich on seeded bread

Strrawberries and grapes

Lucozade hydrate

6.00 pm - Banana,  Lucozade Body Fuel

cup of tea

7.30 pm Pasta with onion, salami, pesto, grated cheese, glass of water

10.30 pm - Drinking Chocolate  ................. goodnight x