Garmin pace requirements

I'm following the Garmin half marathon schedule, but using my Garmin 50 rather than downloading the schedule to a fancier model. 

My question is how to read the pace requirements.

eg  Tue 1M jog, then 6 x 1M (or 6 mins) brisk, with 400m (2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog .

My "brisk" pace (for a 1:30 target time) is 6:52.  So should I be running 1m in 6:52?  or 1m in 6mins?  Quite a difference for my level.

Also could you clarify the "fast " paces Fast-10K - 90-94%:Fast-5K - 93-97% MHR:Fast-above-5K:

Again for track sessions i'm confused about which of these paces to use.  In the schedule the distance and time always seems to suggest 1:30 laps...

thanks!

Comments

• On Tuesday, you should jog, then run for 6 minutes at your 6.52 pace, then jog 400metres taking 2 minutes....repeat the 6 minutes / 400metres 5 more times....then jog 1 mile.

The schedule is saying "do a mile at brisk pace, but don't run more than 6 minutes....if that doesn't bring you to a mile, so be it"

The fast paces are linked to you maximum heart rate.  Roughly this is 220 minus your age.  But this measure can be very different for some people....to check yours you do a track or treadmill test.

Once you know your MHR you can run hard watching your HR, and work out what the paces are.

Or if you don't use a HR monitor, but have some recent races done when fit, then you can use your race results to determine your fast paces. 

• That's great.  Many thanks Heckenhocker.  Makes sense in terms of intensity compared to other runs.  Just to clarify on the "fast" pace...:

When it says Fast-10K - 90-94%:Fast-5K - 93-97% MHR:Fast-above-5K:

Do I read this as any distance up to 5k "fast" = 6:05 min miles.

5k-10k "fast" = 6:18 min miles.

Over 10k "fast" = 6:35 min miles.

Thanks again.

• To be honest, out of context, it's impossible to be sure.  But I suspect the definitions are to be used for speed work.  So you might get a session that says

"run 1 mile fast at 5k pace" or "run 1 mile fast at 10k pace"...meaning for you 1 mile at 6.18, or 1 mile at 6.35 (if those are your race paces).

So you're not doing 5k....but working at that intensity.

• thanks again.  much appreciated.
  • Just a quick one, Where I live it is very hilly and on this schedule there is for example an 18 mile run @ 7:09 min/miles.  How am I expected to sustain that pace on hills for 18 miles.
  • If by week 5 I can run 13 miles at a steady pace in 1:33 are the next 6 weeks needed?