Lucozade Sport Super Six: keep going lass

Comments

• Hope run well go well - stocked with that pasta and Lucozade you should go well.

Remember start it really slowly and conserve energy and I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Well, today was the day ….   the day that I would run the furthest and longest so far.    I decided to do the route I had planned and if it turned out to be a bad estimate, I could walk the rest of the way or phone a taxi!

My legs were well and truly woken up with my training this morning and I’ll post some video footage in due course but in the meantime, here’s a snippet…..

training snippet

• I came home for an hour, had some breakfast and set off for my 90 minutes plus… accompanied by Messrs  Mozart and Vivaldi….

I took Steve’s advice and planned to take the first 4 miles nice and gently as I know it takes between 3 and 3.5 miles for my legs to feel fully comfortable.  I am pleased with my mile split for this section as they are at the slow end of Steve’s 11-12 mm guideline and found it a comfortable pace. 

Mile 1 – 11:29   (avg hr – 152)

Mile 2 – 11:41   (153)

Mile 3 – 11:48    (152)

Mile 4 – 11:20    (156)  

Picked the pace up at mile 5 and maintained it for mile 6, except that I rewarded myself with a minute walk up a steep hill while I took a carb gel. 

Mile 5 – 11:02   (157)

Mile 6 – 12:02   (155)

This was the point where I could have stopped for a cup of tea had I been desperate for a rest but the thought didn't cross my mind and I continued towards the best bit of the route....  

In mile 7, the gel did its work -  At this point,  I was zig zagging along the nature trail path  in the damp shade of the trees along a peat path, nice and soft under foot and dodging the enormous puddles.  

I wasn’t really thinking about my pace as I was thoroughly submerged in enjoying the moment – I was more than half way, in control and feeling strong.   I sensed it was going well and that this would be my best mile…. And it was…..

Mile 7 – 10:40   (160) 

Settled back down to the pace I  was supposed to running at when the terrain changed to concrete for mile 8 @ 11:12    (157)     

Mile 9 was the home straight along the road and another faster paced mile that didn’t actually feel particularly fast and the final 0.35 a gentle downhill…… 

Mile 9 – 10:44    (158)

Mile 0.35 – 3:54  (160)

Total run time – 106 minutes, Total mileage – 9.35,  Average Pace – 11:19 

Job done! .........  here's a picture of the route from Google Earth .....a couple of miles further that I ran as I started from a different place but doesn't it put the distance into perspective!

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r328/kglphotos/chasewater10miles.jpg

120 minutes next week -  eek!!

• Blimey, you ran after doing all those step ups? I'm suprised your legs hadn't turned to jelly!

• Excellent clip, I'm very impressed with all the balancing, jumping and stepping.

Well done on the 9 miles, you'll have no problems running the full 2 hours next week. 

• Great run today Tracy and I agree with Catherine - training before a long run!! You truly are warrior!!!! I salute that effort image

Watching some of your vids as well (catching up) and I like the exercises on that half stability ball thingy (bosu?) that looks really tough staying in control. I don't do hardly any of this stuff... my feeble core routine has come to a grinding halt... I just can't find the motivation to do it!  

• Excellent run. Great control early on and speeding up really well with those sub 11s late in run.

Your heart rate didn't increase that much from mile 1 to mile 9 which indicates you weren't straining too much and you can go further and faster!

• Talking of which Steve, following my feedback last week, you mentioned I should pick up the pace on my speed sessions.  What pace should I aim for tomorrow?
  • As it's quite short efforts I'm sure you will be able to run much faster than 10 minute mile pace

I would aim for 2:30 to start off with (for the 400m with a 1 minute recovery), and then aim for about 5 seconds faster each time ie 2:25, 2:20, 2:15, 2:10 - have a a few minutes extra rest and then try again starting with a 2:30. if you didn't feel flat out in the first set in the last few then try and go even quicker on the last 2 of the second set.

• Does this 'ladders' approach apply to all of us Steve?
  • Brilliant Tracy!!

Not only is your nutrition looking excellent, but you must be very poud of that run too.

How did the carbo gel go down? Your lactate threshold should be about 80% of your maximum heart rate. (it's when your body is working too hard to clear the lactic acid produced by your working muscles so it builds, quickly! It is when you move from aerobic, using oxygen and carbohydrate, to anaerobic, using creatine phosphate, which produces more lactic acid.) Using a simple prediction method your max hr should be 141 bpm, but you have been working well above this for every session, basically you are fitter than your age it would appear  image

Did you get the package? Plenty of rest is important, dont worry about lying in bed...!

• Hi Tracy,

how do you find the time? All the gym work, writing on the forum staying in bed till lunch and making videos. You are a beacon to us all image

Congrats on the 100min and what a lovely place to run.

I am off to give blood at 2.20pm ( is that ok Steve-I forgot to ask permission).

D.T.

• Steve,  does the 2:30 include the 1 min recovery?   My head is too scrambled today to work it out!  ....

It'll be a miracle if I get that right ..... jason do you know if I can programme the RS200 to beep when it's time to turn/speed up/slow down etc??

I've just got the hand of the IT and now I need maths lessons!!   image

• Erm... I'm probably not best qualified on programming the RS200 since I messed up my session last week!!! I think it can do it and you set the watch to beep by going to Settings>General>Sound>TZ Alarms and selecting "On". The failing of the watch I find is that you can't program a complete session, e.g.

Training Zone 1 = 10 min warm up
    Training Zone 2 = 2:30 @ <insert pace>
    Training Zone 3 = 1:00 recovery
    Cool down.

Since the RS200 only has 3 TZ's you want the 2nd and 3rd zones to repeat for the required number of reps before finishing with 10 mins cool down. However, the RS200 doesn't have a feature to repeat specific zones so you have to do your 10 minutes - STOP THE WATCH. Then restart the watch in a different exercise mode pre-setup with a couple of zones programed. You can do this by going to Settings>Exercise and choosing one of the pre-programmed exercises to edit. It's pretty straightforward but a pain in the butt to have to stop the watch in order to pick another exercise mode.

The only other alternative is to get one of these Garmin 405's everyone else seems to have!!! 

HTH

• Oh and don't forget to hit the LAP button after your reps!! I don't think the watch will record a lap when changing from one zone to another (A lesson I learned last week!!)
  • The ladders for Tracy are to give her a rang of speeds as she is improving fast, and I'm not quite sure what the best pace for her to do is.

Tracy, the 2:30 is the rep time, and then you have a minute rest. I was presuming you were doing it on a treadmill, and you don't have to programme anything - just look at the treadmill.

I wouldn't programme it if you are running outside - I would just use the lap button - wait a minute and then run again.

Jason,you could try it, but you can only do it if you start slower (ie 92, 90, 88 etc) and then the danger is you don't run enough reps near your limits.

Dump T - being a blood donor is a great service but it doesn't fit in with distance training. Top distance runners tend to put blood in rather than take it out!

I know of runners getting badly run down and having awful runs after giving blood.

It's probably the best time to do it now than when you are in full training in a month and I would reccomend waiting until after the GNR before you donate again, but of course it's entirely up to you.

• "Full" training in a month????   What do you call it now?   Now I really am scared!!   image

Treadmill it is then! ...... image

• This is the warm up phase!

Actually it won't get that much harder (Dump T's is a more gentler start due to his inexperience in running so will get relatively tougher) but you will obviously have to build up that long weekend run up to five hours...

(or two if you are scared)

• Sorry.  Even for a Marathon, Five would be an ordeal.

Two hours 15 to two hours 30 should suffice for the very longest run for a half marathon. If possible, I think it is good to go slightly overdistance but run slower, and more relaxed to build confidence, endurance and work on conecentration and hydrating on the run etc

I think the theory will be to gradually build up the Sunday run, with a few shorter, sharper training runs or races, every few weeks.

• Well done Tracy,

Your run on Sunday after all that training was brilliant, I'd have still been in the coffee shop.  I could do with a nice young personal trainer like yours.

Bit of a relief not having to fit in a 5 hour run. I mis-read my schedule this morning and was ready to put an extra 100m on every rep. good job my friend was paying attention, she was'nt happy about doing the extra.

Videos coming soon, nothing has energetic as yours though, just having a few technical problems with my computer.

• The biggest challenge today was working out how much I needed to increase the treadmill speed in kph in order to run an interval 5 seconds faster than the one before!   (it's around  0.3 if anyone needs to know for their own training!) 

The second biggest challenge was trying to remember what number km, I needed to reach in order to reach the 400 mark in case I missed the lap beat of my watch because my music was so loud I couldn't hear it!     (apologies to the young man on the treadmill next to me  who had to suffer me singing along -  I didn't notice until it was too late that he didn't actually have any ear phones in himself!)  image  

I'll write the numbers on a post it note next time and stick it to the screen!

I positioned myself on a treadmill next to the window to the studio so I could longingly watch the boxercise going on whilst I was running.  It is my week to miss it in the name of running - my ultimate sacrifice until after GNR.   I did however get a boxing fix in my training on Sunday, some of which you will see when Catherine puts my "feature length"  training diary on the site .....   I understand it is on its way .....image

• well done. I'll make it even more complicated next time and then it'll feel like you finished before you even started
  • hang on Steve - I haven't finished yet!!  ............... 

Steve's amendment to my schedule called  for 2 sets of 5 X 400 metre intervals, starting at 2:30 (10 minute miles) with a minute recovery between each -"push it on the last two",  he said, "if you don't feel flat out at the end of the previous set......."   

"So", I said to myself,  "let's see just how fast I can go......"

The first 5 intervals passed without incident and seemed fairly gently, however, I took the rest that Steve prescribed between the first and second set and slowed down my recovery speed to a slow walking pace for 4 minutes, mainly because that would start my next set on a round number and therefore less maths!

Started the second set of intervals back at the 10 min mile pace and pushed the speed up a little further as I entered into the second and third intervals.   By the time I got to what turned out to be the fourth interval, I was running at a significantly faster speed, partly because I thought it was the last interval and pushed it higher still for the second half so I was running closer to "flat out", finishing that interval on 13.6 kph.   Slowed down for my recovery and then started to doubt how many I'd done.... is it 4 or 5?

Well, I'd rather do 11 than 9, so off I went again for the final push, cranked up the speed, turned the music up - GO!     Lucky I did cos that one was actually number 5 of the second set!!

Next post .... the numbers.......

•  10 minutes easy -  converted that to three 400 metre  laps so that the lap segments were accurate --

Warm up:

Lap 1 -  3:21         Avge HR - 130

Lap 2 - 3:04          Avge HR - 142

Lap 3 - 3:04          Avge HR - 145

Intervals - 1st Set:

Lap 1  - 2:29         Avge HR - 156

Lap 2 - 2:25          Avge HR - 153

Lap 3 - 2:22         Avge HR -   158                       (oops - that one went a bit wrong!)

Lap 4 - 2:14         Avge HR -    160

Lap 5 - 2:12        Avge HR -     167                        (oops - so did that one!)

4 minutes walk at 4.4 kph

Intervals - 2nd Set  

Lap 1 - 2:30      Avge HR -  148

Lap 2 - 2:24      Avge HR - 154

Lap 3 - 2:06     Avge HR - 164

Lap 4 - 1:58     Avge HR - 158

Lap 5 - 1:54    Avge HR - 162 

Easy laps

Lap 1 - 2:56       Avge HR -  145

Lap 2 - 2:59       Avge HR - 150

Lap 3 - 2:58      Avge HR -  152

Total time on treadmill - 60 minutes.    

Easy run tomorrow - 65 mins ....  Looking forward to it ... 

• A whole hour on a treadmill???? I can think of nothing worse!
  • Seemed much less and it gives me the speed discipline and the chance to have my music on .... REALLY LOUD!!  image

• What do you listen to? must be good to keep you going like that for an hour. image
  • ... stuff that I find exhilerating .....  image

• Great confidence boosting last couple of reps there Tracy. No stopping you now!! Good effort on the Treadmill too... last time I tried any speedy stuff on one of those contraptions I almost fell off it!!! I don't care much for them as you can imagine image Still at least you keot dry! I got a bit of a soaking at lunchtime today!!