same results

Done my 2nd 10k today. Had to walk an extra 3 k to get to the leisure centre, so 13 k in all. But while doing the 10 k, I still resulted in the same time. I'm getting tired really easily. Had a good breakfast. Drunk so much I felt water logged. So ending up at doing it in 1.20 this time. Just wondering if there is anything to build up my stamina and endurance so I can get it in better time, or will that come over time with training?

Comments

• You keep asking the questions and you get advice ..... 

Go back to 3 or 4 miles and then build up gradually from there,  dont jump to distances that are perhaps beyond your current capabilities.

Speed and distance does not happen overnight and forcing the issue will end in injury.

But,  all said and done well done for getting out there but give yourself a break on times and speed.

• It's simply building up endurance. You need to do this slowly and steadily and not expect a PB each time. M.Eldy put it really well - congrats on getting out there!
  • cheers. I know the time is not important as I'm just starting out, but I guess I have to ignore that side and concentrate on building up over time. Thank you for your support and advice.
  • Now you have run 10k twice why not try and time yourself over 5k?

I bet you will be pleased with the result. At the very least it will give you a much clearer idea of what you might be capable of over 10k once you have properly trained up.

In the build up to a 10k you should be running your longest distance quiet slowly in order to build endurance. It is initailly your time over shorter distances that will indicate and produce any improvements in speed.

Try not to be so impatient with yourself. That way only lies disappointment.

Build steadily and you will get their quicker than you think.

• I'm just a beginner myself, started 5 weeks ago, but agree it might help to concentrate on the the non-measurable side of things - the beauty of the land arouond you, how much stronger you feel, how much less of a struggle a s#certain distancwe/time is, how much better you look, how much brighter you feel etc - rather than getting hung up on numbers.

I know you are used to comparing yourself against a number, and it is reassuring, but being capable and healthy is not a measure, and isn't guaranteed if you reach a certain number type goal.

Have you spoken to your counsellor about this sort of thing? it may help . . . . .

PS I'm not considering a  10K for quite some time  - and I am very very happy with my progress - everything is a battle against myself, and the worth is in what I think - not from comparing myself to others or preset numbers.

• yeah - training will build up your speed! Buidl up slowly and have patience.

one technique you can use (although personally I'd get your legs more used to running first) is to use intervals - alternate two minutes at a fast pace with two minutes at a slow pace.  The paces will depend on what you're capable of doing - the fast one should get you slightly out of breath and then you get your breath back on the slower ones - pitch the paces accordingly.

For instance - when I used to do it, I typically ran at about 11kph, so I alternated 10 and 12.  If you can use a heart rate monitor it's useful as you can see the HR go up on the fast bits and come down on the slow bits.  I'd get your legs more used to running first though by doing the things Meldy suggested.

Out of interest - are you holding the same speed over the 10k or are you (say) starting off fast and then having to slow down a lot throughout? 

• Yes I am holding the same speeds. Tried to increase, but it was too much. I know I need more muscle. Had to have many 30 secs breaks through that as well. Drunk tons as I was so thirsty.

Starting quite fast- 12 mins in I am having to reduce.

• start as slow as the pace that you finished at ....  when you get to the half way stage then you can guage if you can speed up any more

I really reccommend you take a step back in mileage for the moment and get used to your pacing.
  • I'm getting a bit confused - you say you're holding the same speed but then say you start fast and have to reduce?  Assuming the latter is true (which is what I suspected) then you're going off too fast which is what is tiring you out.  What pace are you starting out at?

• im only doing 9.5 its logging it at
  • 9.30 m/m?  your time is not suggesting that

how are you measuring it?
  • with the nike + sensor

Distance 10.02km

Time 1.21

pace 8.07 min/km...sorry my mistake

• yeah- when uploaded nike site says  13'04
  • average speed.

what are your splits?
  • logs it on the nike site as average speed 14'03 per mile
  • the telling stats will be your splits!
  • got no clue then. it only gives results on the sensor as pace and on the site average speed.
  • Like a lot of sports I've tried in the past ie fencing being one of them I accept I'm never going to be a fantastic runner but I get out and have a go and I take from it the fact that I'm doing a lot healthier stuff than my boyfriend and most other people.  As I know I'm pants at it and there are far better runners out there than me I look at it as something I like to do to improve my health and fitness.  I just did my third 5km today in absolutely dreadful conditions in Walton Hall Park n Liverpool.  For some reason I did it in 37mins which was far worse than the first two I did ie I did the first one in 33:48 and the second one in 32:17.  I know the mistake I made was to end up and nearly the front of the pack and then go off for a mile and a bit too too fast.  So I walked for about a min or two to get my breath back, tried to fix my number back on as the rain nearly tore it off then I went all the way around without stopping.  One positive I can take from it is that I'm getting more and more comfortable running that distance.  Im doing my first 10km in October and I don't expect to finish much under 1h 18mins so take heart and don't forget there is always somebdoy out there the same pace as you, ie me lol.  I'm going to be dropping my miles back a bit in the next few weeks too to build up my legs and really what I'm trying to say is listen to what the guys here tell you as they are a friendly bunch, take some positives from your running ie it makes you fitter healthier no matter how fast or slow you are  and don't try and beat yourself with a big stick when you have a pants run cause we all have good days/bad days.

Going slightly off topic and this point specifically for Liverbird.  Todays run was my first Alan Rothwell run I've done.  Top guy and I thought he was great standing on the back of a truck end of the first lap encouraging everybody around.  Where were all the reds though.  We were out numbered by those pesky evertonians booh and a blue nose won too booh.  Will deffo try and support more of his runs. 

• ok look at it another way then,  when you go out for your next run try and keep your pace to 12 m/m

that makes it consistant,   try a Run/Walk programme which will enable you to take a rest before you are tired and will keep your pace even.

Try it over 4 miles.
  • I've never used a nike + ( I have a Garmin). Is there any way that you can set it to record lap time etc? When I first started out with my garmin, it'd just time the entire run and give me an average, but when I started faffing about with it, I figured out that you could get it to automatically record your mile/km splits.

It was quite helpful after that. I found out I always started off too quick and it slowed me down later. Once I worked that out I was able to keep a steady pace which made me slightly faster over a longer distance.

• Cheers Medley. Thanks Joanne and congratulations. I really want to be a good runner, but I think it's going to take a long long time.
  • And TG - if being a runner was really easy, everyone would be doing it. The things you work hardest for are often the most worth it, I think.
  • LOL at 'Medley'...  Melds you've been re-named.  image

I'm just supporting everything Meldy has said.  You're too impatient.  Keep pushing the distance beyond your capabilities considering you've only been running for a month, I can virtually promise you that you will injure!

Cardiovascular fitness is one thing... it develops quite quicky.  Muscular-skelletal strength is something else.  The strength in your joints, ligaments, tendons, bone density etc builds over time to help sustain the impact of running.  Carry on pushing it and an overuse injury is on the cards.

Plus training needs to be appropriately fuelled.

Don't come crying with plantar faciitis, tibialis posterior tendonitis or a stress fracture in a couple of months time.  Do what Meldy said, go back and build properly.

• One of the most important things I learnt during my training was the importance of long slow runs, you could do with learning the same thing.
  • HAve you callibrated your Nike sensor thing?  That needs doing I believe  before it'll be accurate.  The treadmill will probably display a speed on it - are you having to slow it down as you progress?

lol at Medley - she's certainly individual image