Running while pregnant?

Hiya. Felt too nervous to ask this on any established thread so thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. Have just found out I'm pregnant and while I was at the docs talking about something unrelated, I asked if it's ok for me to continue running. My doc looked totally disgusted and said definitely no. She said "It might be ok for the likes of Paula Radcliffe, but not someone like you". I'm a bit peeved because although I'm a relative newbie, (on and off running for several years but have been running most days now for 7 months)  I've worked hard to get to the point I'm finally comfortable with running and I know I'm going to get as cranky as hell without it. I plan on asking the midwife the same question when I first see her but I was wondering if the pregnant runners out there could give an opinion?! Incidently, I asked my doc a couple of other questions about other things and her answer was "I don't know" with no suggestion of how to get the answer therefore my faith in her is limited. Thanks.

Comments

• ChynahChynah ✭✭✭

I am pregnant too (18 weeks) and still regularly run & I have done 2 10Ks and a 10 miler since finding out (although at slightly slower pace).  My Doctor said that it was fine for me to continue as long as I didn't push myself or let myself overheat and my midwife showed no concern when I mentioned that I ran.  It may be different if you have any risks associated with your pregnancy but everything I have read has been supportive of the benefits to both mum and baby.

Pop over to the Pregnant Runners Thread under Health & Injury as there are lots of pregnant ladies there who can offer good advice and a place to chat through concerns.

• It's perfectly safe and makes for a much happier, healthier pregnancy. I ran until I was about 5 months, when it became uncomfortable.  My BP was incredibly healthy, and I had no problems at all.

Go with your instinct - enjoy the running rather than seeing it as training and listen to your body - just don't push as hard as you would. I was lucky, both GP and midwife were very supportive, and believe me I am NO Paula Radcliffe!!!!!!

I wouldn't recomend starting running when pregnant, but I think if you've been doing it why change? It's not an illness!!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

A friend of mine ran a marathon while pregnant (although she didn't know it at the time).

She then continued to run until it became uncomfortable.

She was no Paula Radcliffe either, and had a perfectly healty baby, and stayed in good shape herself.

• I read somewhere that moderate exercise while pregnant can lead to higher birth weight and size of the baby.  Whether higher that would encourage you to exercise or actually make you sit and do nothing for 9 months I don't know!
  • my gp was also not keen - because 'it might shake the embryo loose' but that, apparently, is utter rubbish.  i'm currently pregnant for the second time (didn't mention it when i saw him this time).  ran until 7 months with pregnancy number 1 (until i couldn't do more than a few steps without a pee / poo requirement) and am running now - although only 11 weeks pregnant at the moment.  i'm finding it harder work this time because i'm less fit now than i was with preg #1 and i'm really tired all the time.  so today's run turned into a swim (and not just because of the torrential rain). and i am probably less like paula radcliffe than anyone else who has posted on here - other than needing to stop for emergency calls of nature - that's the only thing i have in common with her!

please come and join us on pregnant runners - i  need some fellow first trimester friends - everyone else is much further on than me!

• I ran until 31 weeks with this pregnancy, until it became uncomfortable- am now 38 weeks and still cross training in the gym 5-6 times per week.

I have been well all the way through, no morning sickness, low BP etc... (will probably pay for it with the labour) although not having had baby yet, can't comment on any effects exercise has had. A consultant that I saw said that if something you are doing is harming the baby, you are likely to be ill and would have problems too. Again don't know how true that is.

Just do what you feel like and listen to your body, if it says stop and walk - then WALK... no shame in that! (I'm also a presonal trainer and qualified to train pre and post natal clients)

The problem with GP's is that they don't have time or inclination to care about running or staying fit for some reason. I went to see the GP to get a referral to physio with a stress fracture. I told him my leg hurt when I ran and his response was "Stop running then. and it will be fine" image Unbelieveable!

Do come over to the pregnant runners forum..we need more mummies to be!

• there's not much research been done into the effects of exercising on pregnancy and birth - obviously really because no-one wants to subject their unborn babies to any risks.  however, there is research from a guy named clapp which suggests that babies born to mums who exercise throughout pregnancy (and at around 50% of the level they did pre-preg) will be as big (long) as babies whose mums did not exercise but will be leaner.  that was certainly true of my son - he was very long but incredibly lean when he was born.  didn't last long though - he fed voraciously from the moment he was born and put on a pound a week for about 6 weeks, shooting up through the centiles.  i joked that all the exercise i did while he was in the womb meant he felt he had been short-changed, so he made up for it once he was born.  i also swear that the reason he didn't sleep at all for about 8 weeks was because i was never still when i was pregnant, so he was used to being jiggled around all the time.  the only time he would sleep was when he was being bounced around!

seriously though - unless you have medical conditions which mean you shouldn't exercise (bleeding, high BP etc), you should be fine to continue what you have been doing, adapting the intensity to suit how you are feeling.  you will KNOW when you are doing too much...

• Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. I also don't see why I can't continue to run - I was intending to slow down a bit anyway as I've upped things somewhat over the last few weeks and had intended now I know I'm pregnant to  go back to what I was doing a few weeks back. I forgot to say on my original post that my doc said I shouldn't raise my heartrate AT ALL during pregnancy but I'm not about to sit on the sofa for the entire pregnancy. Maybe cos I'm overweight she doesn't realise that I run regularly and she thinks it's a new thing? She didn't specifically ask me though. It's either running gentle or going completely stir crazy at home so I can't see she has an option! image 
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

No raising your heart rate? 

That's going to be difficult - are you supposed to not walk up stairs?  Never watch an exciting film? No more sex?? 

What happened to the idea that 20 minutes of aerobic activity three times a week as a minimum to stay healthy?

I do wonder about GPs sometimes!

• little elephant - i'd say go for it.  your MW will check your BP at your first meeting with her.  only if it's high might there be a problem with exercise - but even then, not necessarily.  your GP is mad to say not to raise your HR at all.  if we sit around on our 4rses for 9 months, how on earth does she think we are going to be able to survive labour, which is an incredibly physical process!!!???
  • wilkie - why would we be having sex?  we're pregnant now already image don't need to do that again until we decide to have another baby.  image
  • LOL.....my heart rate went sky high when I saw the 2 lines on the pregnancy test so she doesn't stand a chance if she thinks I'll go through the pregancy without raising it at all. My doc did check my BP and it was great - 128/80. If she wants better then she's out of luck.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

CM - I think he should still attend to your needs, even if he's got a headache!

Selfish b*stards, think once they've got you knocked up they don't need to try any more!

• slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭

Another voice in support of running in pregnancy here.

I coach a women's running group, and inevitably have had several members become pregnant, so I have looked into the subject, though I have no medical background I must add.

The advice I give my members is

- don't take up a new form of strenuous cardiovascular exercise while pregnant

- if you're used to running, carry on

- but, slow down and pass on speedwork.

- run outside to keep yourself cooler

- listen to your body and don't push beyond what it's telling you.

Most of our girls have given up running at some point in the second trimester as it was getting too much for them.  We have a fine crop of healthy babies.

I had my kids before I took up running, but I did high impact step aerobics till I was 81/2 months pregnant and babe and I were both fine. 

And as for not raising your heart rate while pregnant - how do you chase around after an active toddler while pregnant without raising your heart rate?  Or are we only supposed to have one baby?