Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

When is darts going to make it's Olympic debut?  Surely a shoe-in for London 2012???

Since there is a biathlon of cross-country and shooting in the winter Olympics, I'm going to campaign for a summer biathlon of ultra running and darts.  Reckon I could be in with a shout there - would enjoy taking on Cliff Lazarenko at the 50 mile run at any rate.

Last long(ish) run done now, with the Tour Mont Blanc race starting next Friday; have started to see a couple of world famous ultra runners around town now; looks like all the big boys will be there - Jurek, Melzder, Olmo, Ahansal, Dawa Sherpa, Mermoud etc. - going to a party this Saturday back home, staying sober at which might prove tougher than the race itself.

• Options

Hail Hail

Disappointing from Mo Farah.  He's better than that.  Think he struggled cos the race was run so slowly early on.

Gobi - I'm in your camp.  Dope, or fail to comply with testing and it should be a life ban in that sport.  Nowt to stop you changing disciplines eg Romero (not that she ever doped, but you know what I mean).

Another injury woe here I'm afraid.  A long (tall) story that involves a shoogly ladder, wall-paper stripping, over extending my reach, and a hard floor.  Ouch!

• Options

I think it's disappointing that the longer track races are so often 95% cruise (for them!) followed by a 400m race.

What do people think of an individual time trial discipline as well as a mass race like in cycling?

After all, swimming has so many discplines an athlete could win multiple medals at.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Nice to see he had to work a bit for it too. I'd have been disappointed if it looked as easy as the 100m wr!

CJ - A time-trial would certainly be interesting.

RB - unlucky. How bad is it? Alistair Cragg managed to sneak into the 5,000m final as one of the fastest losers. Mottram also missed out.

Dan A - nice one. How're you looking for it?
  • Options

Hail Hail

Outstanding run by Bolt.  Nice medal for Tasha Danvers in W 400m hurdles.

TT - not too bad.  Very tight calf from lack of stretching after 70M pedal on Sun, so hopefully its just a tweak.  Iced it for a while whilst watching the races.  Rest today and tomorrow though.

• Options

CJ - I'd prefer them to use the swimming type qualification.  Position in heat doesn't matter but it all goes on time.  Those in heat 1 would then have no option but to work together to run as fast as possible - in their interests as they could all qualify.

I guess it makes a difference to the sprint heats which tend to be 95% race + 5% cruise though...

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hmm, well, I was stuck in court when the world record was broken.  Not a big surprise, though.  The guy is so fast...

On the Christine O front, I do think she was unlucky with at least one of her tests, but I think that she was too defensive when they banned her, which didn't help her cause.  Someone who is prepared to say 'I've messed up, I'll take the punishment' gets a lot more respect in my book.  I think a lifetime ban would have been too harsh, though.  She was out-of-season tested during her ban and afterwards, so she's either (a) using something they can't detect (in which case why skip earlier tests) or (b) she's taking a punt on whatever she took still helping her even though she's no longer taking it (depends on what it was) or (c) she's always been clean and is just a bit dopey.  My money is on (c).

Nice result for Tasha Danvers.

Gutted about Mo, but he didn't seem in very good form going into the Games.

No real surprise in Blonska's situation.  Only surprise is that she didn't get caught earlier.  Still doesn't explain Kelly's relatively poor result, though ;¬)

• Options

image imageimagehaving given up trying to get a pair of 11.5 Asics Banditos I decided to just go for a pair of DS racers.
    Ordered them at the weekend from SS online, 3 days later I get sent exactly the same mail as I got when ordering the Banditos..........speed of sales....blah.....blah....sold out......blah....blahimageimageimage

• Options
    Marigold - Up and Running appear to have some DS Racers in 11.5 : http://upandrunning.co.uk/websales/detail.php?id=620908&catid=1
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Careful there RB - that DYI (do yourself in) is a dangerous sport.

Took the nipper swimming and I managed to bag 50 lengths whilst there wer on the flume, bu tthen I got the call to be the crocodile in "Crocs and Otters" and let them try and take me on in the "in-pool wrestling".

Si Insane Bolt ahs broken Micheal Johnsons 19:32 - that no-one gets ayywhere near and was one of few times better than Pietro Mennea's 19:72 set at Altitude.

9:69 (jogging home) and now 19:30, sad thing is I'm not sure I believe that they're clean times.

Jools
    (lack of) Attention to detail and lack of sorting out the bleeding obvious cost Kelly. I've lost patience with her. Its not fckn rocket science to know that she needs some High Jump and Javelin pratice. She then blames her poor long jump for a lack of medal and not her 33rd best Javelin.

I know my swimming is carp but at least I'm practising it (goes back to my comment on professionalism). Her needing to throw the Javelin isn't going to go away its one of the 7 !
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I'd still show her a good 10 seconds though !!
  • Options

EdB - Thanks for the heads up, I just found some here

Millets

but when they tell me they have sold out as well I will go for upandrunning next!!!

• Options

Hail Hail

Marigold - I hate to say it, but online ordering is the bane of my (and yours apparently) life.  Basically our till system is linked to our stock control system.  The theory is that when the shops make sales, at the end of the day when all the sales info is uploaded to Head Office, the stuff that has been sold is removed from the available stock, thus allowing our Mail Order peeps to say "Yes marigold, we have the shoes you want, and will send them out right away/transfer them from the shop that has them and send them out right away".  However, in practice, sales from shops over the weekend take until the Monday morning to upload, thus meaning when you order online on the Sat/Sun the system thinks that there are Banditos/DSTs 11.5 in stock (either in warehouse or within one of the shops) when in actual fact the last pair were sold in a shop (or ordered online before you did) over the weekend.  I realise this is annoying for you, and apologise.  TBH, it affects the shops in a negative way too since Mail Order often look for stock that we have sold that day, or even the previous day.  Can I suggest that its always best to just phone your nearest store and ask them to check stock availability for you - real person on the end of the phone and all that.  If they dont have the item, but it is available, they can order it in for you, and you can pick it up, or they can sort something out postal-wise for you.  Hope this helps.  Email me if you want and I can look into things for you.  Not promising anything, mind.

TR - Could have fallen further - I also spent a couple of hours on the roof in the pouring rain this morning doing patch-up roof repairs cos we sprung a leak last night.  F'king summer!  I cant wait til the winter comes for some nice warm dry weather.

• Options

RB - Cheers for the explanation. I thought someone was picking on me!
    I don't think SS do stores in Dorset do they? I think I'll just have to remember to not order online on a weekend.

If Millets let me down I may take you up on that offer to find me anything in a size 11.5!!

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Fcuking French cars!!!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    On the way home from work and one of the feed valves from the petrol tank to the engine came undone and the car (obviously) conked out, with petrol gushing out. Because it's Reading festival this weekend, traffic was at a standstill (luckily I'd made it out of the traffic before it stopped) so I had to wait for over an hour with jr by the side of the road for Mr AA to show up and fix it. Apparently the cause is 'because they will insist on using plastic clips, rather than the old-fashioned metal ones'....

Needless to say I missed the first of 'my' sessions at club tonight. Not the best of ways to start... Complete and utter pain in the ar$e!

Will probably try fit in someting a little quicker tomorrow am now instead.
  • Options

Evening gents/ ladies,

Not been on for a while; nice to see the same old faces posting though.

Not much to report at my end; I have been doing around 50 miles a week since the FLM and about to get my GFA letter sent for next year.

Anyone doing the Dublin marathon? My wife is running it so will be over there supporting.

Dull - Have you managed to go sub 3 yet?

• Options
    TT - Session went v. well- many thanks
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Interesting race this evening. Two issues when I arrived:

1) Sea was really rough, poor visibility and a strong wind blowing. So they'd shortened it to 400m/4k.
    2) The run was first - I didn't really want to be leading going into the swim, and would rather have been trying to catch people on the run, but never mind.

The guy I mentioned was there so chances of winning had pretty much gone - he's just too good at swimming. Anyway, 2k out-and-back run - he led on the way out with the wind, I felt reasonably comfortable. We turned at 2k and he literally slowed to a walking pace for a few seconds to "encourage" me to go past. Bit cheeky, but thought OK, I'll give it a bit of welly and try to drop him. However, he more or less stayed with me, so I only had about 5-10s lead at transition.

Whipped off the shoes and started running down the beach to the marker where we were meant to get in. Got to about waist deep when I heard marshals shouting - apparently I had to run around a person on the beach. So got back out, ran about 30m up the beach and back down again (by which time the other guy had gone past). Started swimming out to the yellow buoy which I thought was the first marker. Really struggling with large waves, only being able to see about 5m ahead at any time, wondering how the weaker swimmers would cope if I was having trouble. Couldn't see the buoy so just kept swimming out. After about 5 minutes of struggling I finally saw it and realised I was quite a bit off line so had to adjust, and looked round, couldn't see any other swimmers. Anyway, cut a long story short, I reckon I swam about twice as far as required (the actual course was only about 20m off the beach!). Partly my fault for not really listening to which were the right buoys, but there were no kayaks on the course telling you if you'd gone the wrong way. Also a bit of a safety issue, especially in those conditions.

I wouldn't have won anyway, it wasn't exactly a target race, had a good run and (bizarrely) enjoyed it.

Going to get destroyed on the bike over the Purbecks tomorrow by someone who posts on here occasionally!

• Options

Sounds like a fun race Padams.  At least you had a good workout.  Who is going to destroy you on the bike?  Flipper?

9.42 on my watch in my 3,000m race.  20s down on my time for last year but then hardly surprising given a track session yesterday and not much top end speed at the moment.

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Padams - so everything went according to plan?  You did well to be competitive and even better to survive.

MTriton - nice perspective.  Sounds promising.

Capenhurst 5K for me tonight.  Things didn't look good with torrential rain just before the start leaving the roads greasy, and me arriving too late for a proper warm-up.  Anyhow, 1 mile of jogging and a few minutes of stretching and we're off at a pace I haven't got close to since March 2007.  Finished with 17:52, just behind the same bloody M50 that beat me at the Birchwood 10K on Sunday.  Mile splits of 5:41, 5:46, 5:45 and 0:40. 

My second ever 5K and technically a PB by 52 seconds, but at a pace slower than my 10K PB.  Definitely another step towards regaining past form though.  Pleased.

• Options

MT
    Thats 17 seconds quicker than my debut time from last week - git!

Padams
    At least you enjoyed it.

Missed the club session yesterday, but so did a friend of mine who recently did 9:33 at IM Switzerland. Decided we'd do 5 x 6mins, and clearly he must still have the tri in his legs, or else I'm starting to find some fitness.

Decided to head down to the Malverns this evening for what is the nearest thing to a Fell run in these parts. Managed 10 miles and got soaked to the skin in the process - character building as they say.

• Options
    It all puts my feeble efforts into stark perspective.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Padams: Sounds like a decent workout - makes sea swimming sound even less appetising - although I did enjoy it in France (in dead calm conditions though)

MT: Decent time if you ask me.

Njord: Ditto, and that's quicker than I've ever run. Consistent pacing as well.

And I had a 'mare yesterday. Set off for 12 easy miles, and for 6-7 miles all was well, 7:30 pace, but HR a bit high.Then I bonked, which has very rarely happened to me before, and never on such a short run. I'd eaten OK, so no idea why - can only assume the tension from my stiff back is placing added stress n my whole body.

But 8:15 pace at 155 bpm on flat terrain for the last 3 miles is pretty demoralising. HR about 20 beats too high, felt carp.

Recovery day today. 

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting Padams

MT, good perspective

Njord, getting ther chap

MTR, file it as one of those things and move on

I'm on target 140 this week and wil go through 100miles this week when I do my lunchtime run. It will be interesting to see what sort of pace I manage.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Provisional results from the aquathon - I had the slowest swim time by about 3 minutes!! I did around 13 mins, most people were 8-9 mins and the winner was 6:3x.

MT - not Flipper. Someone on the Wall of Stars.

Well run Njord. Given the conditions, you should be able to take another chunk off without too much effort. You wouldn't want to set a PB which is too hard to beat!

MtR - weird. Any illness at the moment? Dehydration? Hopefully it was just a one-off and you'll be back to normal on your next run.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - shame about the car - I stick to japanese (apart from my "old" roundabout, for tip runs, bikes in the back or when the SPO wont let me have her car).

Padams - That aquathon became a nice training session, sounds like you swam about 3 times too far. Glad I wasnt in that race, the Hoff would have had to save me.
    Enjoy the bike ride, I guess you're going with the special one. You're really in trouble if he brings his duathlete friend.

MT - nice 3000m - on compromised legs too, plus you were banging out reps in the lido y'day too.

MTR - bonking is fuel related surely.

The now usual 60/30, in the pissing rain, which has become usual too. 7 bricks in 7 days, so 7 running days in a row.
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭

Gobi - FFS, 140! I hope these miles get you the time you want. 84M is still my max ever. I'm guessing this will be nearly 17hrs of running, I will be lucky to get 8.5 hrs in. When are you going public with your Toronto target?

Padams - sounds like you had 'fun', nice report. I have enjoyed watching the open water 10k swims, apparently at 2012 it is going to be 10 laps of the Serpentine, the Times reported that there are some concerns about the '100yrs of Goose crap on the bottom'.

MtR - sounds like an illness to me.

Njord/MT - well run.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Not run yet, but heading out for the first one in about an hour (rough night to follow up y'day's rough day). One of these weeks I will manage to get a week's training done as per the plan!

MG - glad it went well. Cheers.

Padams - sounds like an 'experience'.

MT - nice time.

Njord - likewise. Progressing nicely.

MtR - be careful, there are some nasty bugs going around. Could be something like that.

Gobi - impressive mileage. I'll be happy if nothing else goes wrong this week and I make it into the 90s (had originally hoped for 100-110 before everything started to go t!ts up!).

TR - I've had enough of this one. That's the second time in a few weeks we've had the AA out (digital fuel gauge stopped working the last time so we ran out of petrol despite it telling us there was still 90 miles worth in there!). The killer is it's only 5 years old, with less than 30k on the clock. I know things are not built to last nowadays, but this is taking the p!ss. Looking around at the moment. Primarily Japanese as it happens, though German is also a possibility. Both seem to be the most reliable out there.......