A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• Good luck to all of you racing this weekend. 

Its only my nose that's running this weekend image  Hope to recover enough to get a couple of training sessions in before my holiday.  Still debating whether to take my trainers with me.  My partner says I can, but I'm not sure if I will use them.  We will be doing plenty of walking though.

• Think my partner would have a fit if i took the trainers on holiday. I might try and smuggle them though - or alternatively could further extend the running along the shore at sunset fantasy by doing it in bare feet...

Yes - good luck everyone racing and report back as soon as you can!

• Welcome Debbie - sorry i am little behind the times!

I glad i jumped on the internet tonight - off on holiday on Tuesday and wasnt going to take my running gear - but you spurred me on and i am gonna take it - i will have to wait and see whether i do it when i am there but hey at least i cant use the excuse that i havent got my gear!

Good luck Lisa-marie - i am with you 100%.

Went running on Thursday with the club and had an absolute awful time - gutted as last run with the club before holiday and i wanted it to be a good un - so a little dented.  I honestly think someone had swapped my legs for a non-runner!

hey i won a nike+ sportband but i have no idea what it does - oh well i will have a look later!

• Hi all,

Had a bad run today, planned to do 10 miles but only managed 6 ! Legs very tired, I just got slower and slower.

Anybody racing tomorrow ?

• imageeeyore - it must be the week for bad runs......just dont get it!!!!

• Eeyore

it happens to us all - just chill out and move on to another day - then go out gently expecting nothing and see what happens

• Hi all Especially eyeore and beanie

Remember me last week  My pain couldn't run 3 miles was so down. Joined a running club on Tuesday went well.

Have just got back from my longest run which was 10 miles. Feel great as had ran just over 9 a couple of times and wasn't sure i could get to 10.

It was probably the motivation from you lot that kept me going today. So don't be down last week i was blowing up after 2 miles dreading going out.  Good luck with anyone racing this week.

And happy holidays.

• Hi to you to how are you doing?

• ok - full of cold and migraine today

no running for a day or two

phillip is at respite Mon - Fri - so, it'll give me and wife space to have a breather and me prepare for Wolves HM next week and Robin Hood FM following week

• Do you good quality time and a rest.

• yes Susie - bless you

i also have lots on my mind,, we've recently gone through all Phillip's transision stages 

childrens respite centre - to adult

Then Special needs school -  to Adult day centre

and were are now in the final stages of things - which i won't go into on here  - i reckon 4 - 8 weeks and we'll be  

rest it's self - i'm not keen on  personally

for me, it can bring depression, i'd rather be out if only walking

or training , but ever so lightly

• okay so you dont like rest.......do something with your wife that you wouldnt normally do......a day by the seaside/go to the cinema/go to a museum or gardens/go bowling.......respite is probably something you dont get often so make  the most of it. x

• Beanie

thanks for suggestions

one again i did'nt make myself clear - and that's the problem on here

i was talking about tomorrow- were normally running - but i'm not well enough to- and phil's in respite Monday - so wife will start putting his stuff toggether

i'l put his medication together - then when he's gone on Monday - then me and wife we'll chill out

i've cancelled club everything this week

but yes - thanks

• Take care Mick you will be ok things have a way of working out.

By the way was looking at other threads on nourishment after a long run, how about my beer and glass of wine will that do! Oh yeh had a packet of crisps also.

• ooooh look at the weather. pouring down. off on very damp 90 minute plod.

susie po - we have v similar re-fueling techniques!

• hi Guys!!  i have just stumbled across your thread and was really pleased to find people at a similar pace to me.  I am relatively new to running and have just about managed to complete a 5k in 32mins (race for life in June).  Since then i have entered my first 10k (Oct 12th) and i am a little scared at the prospect of coming last!!!  I have 6 weeks left before the race and would love to be able to complete it in a respectable time.  To be homest i think right now, i would be happy to just finish it!!I

I try to run 4 times a week but struggle to run passed the 45 mins mark.  It is as if i hit a brick wall and my legs turn to lead!!  I think i need to build more strength work into my training and would be grateful if anyone has any advise on how to get through the barrier.

Cheers

Vicky

XXXXX

• Hi Vicky & welcome,

32 min for a 5k is fine, if you could keep that pace up for a 10k you wont be last !

Have you tried any interval or fartlek training to improve your strength ?

• Welcome aboard Having a go

Try not to think about coming last and your speed. When I first got past 45 mins I just tried to do a little bit more not thinking of pace at all the improtant thing is to keep moving regardless of how slow it is. you will be surprised if you can do 45 then you can do 50.

I did my 10k 1st and only race so far so just a beginner myself and the important thing is not to go off too fast, mine started in a stadium 2 laps and I was nearly last leaving and I really started to panic and at one point considered not leaving the stadium.

I was a bit like the tortoise and passed a few who had gone too fast.

• I have tried some speed work within my easy runs, but it seems to kill me and i tire really easily.  i try to run for about 15 mins easy and then add about 6 x90secs faster intervals with a jog recovery of the same time (90 secs).  i find that after the first 3 i cant find any energy or strength in my legs and my speed reduces back to my steady pace. 

I am due to do a speedwork session this evening and i am considering increasing my receovery time to try and get 6 equal speed intervals or do you think i should reduce the speed first?

thanks

vicky

• Thanks susie

it is nice to speak to others who have the same fears.  I have always wanted to run and sometimes feel quite threatend by the better, faster, fitter runners.  Right now i'm just trying to block them out of my mind and to concentrate on running my own race!!

vicky

• Vicky, yes I would try that, increase the jog recovery to 2 min and see how it goes.

I usually have to walk for my recovery's !!

• Thanks Eeyore, i will try that and maybe even reduce it to a walk. 

thanks

• I haven't really done any speed work as never find anything easy.

I have only one pace it does seem to be increasing on its own but I seem to have one speed.

Maybe joining the running clup will help as they do speed sessions and hill sessions.

really looking forward to going for my second time on Tuesday.

• welcome having a go - firstly stop giving yourself such a hardtime - you are doing great 5k in 32mins is fab - before you know you will be off this thread and on another!  If you cant do four times a week perhaps cut your target down to three times a week so yout dont lose motivation because you are not reaching your target.

Secondly - i agree with eeyore  - just increase is gradually......i am no expert but all sounds sensible stuff to me!!!!! x

• No don't walk ! your doing just fine with the jog recovery, I need to follow your example !!
  • Having a go -

Beanie is right you know

• Vicky - Perhaps try cutting down your pace a little until you can go past 45 minutes (after all 5k in 32 mins pace is not bad at all!).  If you start thinking that you can't go past 3/4 hour then it will get harder to do it.  Maybe just go out without your watch or something.

Either way, as long as you keep running, you'll get there soon enough.  One day, you'll just feel a little better on your run than you've done before and it will give you the motivation to try a little further.

Re my own running, I did about a 6.2 mile run today to go and pick up the car from the pub we left it at last night - very nearly didn't run because of a mild hangover, but it cleared up after we'd walked the dogs so I went out anyway.  Ended up doing it in an hour and 5 mins, with a 2 min stop at 4ish miles when my boyfriend, who'd started half an hour after me, caught me up on his bike (the cheat!).  It was a harder run than my normal 10k route (including a short, steep motorway bridge to get over), so I'm not too unhappy with the time.  The main thing is that I got out there, which is good.

• Thanks for all your support and suggestions. 

I really enjoy the running but have to get over the slower speed of improvement once a base level of fitness has been achieved.  I suppose if it was easy to improve on every run we would all be professional athletes!!!

I will continue with what i'm doing and report back with the progress.

Josie - I wish i could run 6.2 miles.  You are doing great!! just the inspiration i need

cheers

• vicky - just a couple of months ago - 30 minutes was all I could manage!