Newbies 2

Comments

• Thanks for the advice TTN and Meglet.

I'll check out the rest of the site.

My photo is still being 'looked at' by the Runnersworld powers that be - perhaps my face is too round to be acceptable, judging by Meglet's recent added masterpiece? image

• Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to running. Always loved sport but with 2 small children, husband, house, full time job with travel etc etc (all the old excuses) I've recently discovered that running is something I can do anywhere, anytime and really enjoying it. I started with R4L in July, and am now training for the Great South Run 10mile. I'm finding that it takes at least 20-25 mins running at a really slow pace to get my body going, then I can really up the pace without my heart rate going nuts. Any advice as to how I can run at the faster pace sooner, without impacting the length of time I run for? This is a great Forum and I hope to join it regularly. K  image

• Hi RRJ and Blue KJ, welcome.

BKJ, I'm also doing the GSR this year...I'm even starting to loo forward to it. I think that you may need to have those few minutes to warm up, I always find that if i start off at all quickly then I am panting and Hr is through the roof in no time. I would suggest you just try and gently up the pace a little over the first few minutes, I start off at about a 7 min K speed, then as i start to warm up i up that to6min, then 5min etc (i think find i start to slow back down again after a while but that is more lack of endurance) You could also try doing some tempo runs to build in that underlying speed.  How's your training for GSR going?

Meglet, that pic is fantastic image. everything i tried to upload they said was too big, maybe my camera has too many pixles or something.

• Hi Blue KJ - that's exactly what appeals to me about running too - get home, bathe the kids, do the bedtime story etc and then go out and fit (what seems like) loads of exercise into an hour and it to still be a fairly reasonable time to have a glass of wine or whatever with the signif other!

I'm way too inexperienced to be doling out advice (image?), but I find that 5 mins of a slow pace followed by 5 mins of faily gentle Fartlek (check out the link) works well for me.

Good luck

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I always run a slow warm up, but I guess it's surprised me at how long it really takes to 'warm up'! I was always a sprinter when I used to run many years ago, so tackling the longer distance is all new to me. I guess I'm in denial and still think I'm in my teens! Training for the GSR is going well, I'm following the official beginners plan from the organisers. However, so far it has just been long easy or steady runs and I had been wondering whether I should put some tempo/speed work in there. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, my average pace over 3, 4, 6 miles always seems to end up at about 10min miles, and I really want to improve that as I'd like to run sub 100 minutes for the GSR. Am I being unrealistic having only taken up running in May?

• Thanks RRJ. I haven't tried Fartlek yet, but it does sounds fun. I'm good at following set training programmes but haven't really started being creative and adding anything else in.

• I don't know about everyone else, but i'm really battling with motivation. I just feel like i really can't be bothered getting out there.

• has anyone seen this? put in your race time (or i guess estimate if you havent done one yet) and it tells you how fast you should be going for easy/temp/long runs etc. whatever i do i am normally between 10 and 11 min/mile. according to this most of my runs should be much much slower!

re pics, you will need to make one smaller, it tells you how big the file should be on the upload page! i use a simple photo editing software, try ms office picture manager, its already on my computer!

• BKJ, I find that (and those of you on herea while will remember) that Progression runs really improved my times, there are some articles on this site about it...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=3577

The basis comcept is to start slow and then increase your pace as you go (a much better explanation in the article) they have shaved my times down dramatically (I ran 9 miles in 71 mins 30 yesterday), and i am now revising my target for the GSR (it was 90 mins) but now I am aiming for 70-75...always aim high!image I don't think that you are being unrealistic you still have (7?) weeks to get your training in and there are lots of good training plans out there (over 8 weeks) for that distance so you CAN do it!

I haven't triewd Fartlek, i tend to find that i like structure more than creativity - i may give it a go next time.

• Me too Kelly!! Im supposed be out today but feeling tired! Will you get a chance to go out today? We should both make an agreement to go out, even if its just for 5mins round the block to see how we get on and go further if we can?! What do you think?

• thanks for that link Meg, i think that'll be really helpful .image

it seems i should run a little slower too.

• Yeah I had tried that out a wee while ago Meglet and i didnt like it, it tells me that my easy run pace should be 15.19 which equals walking pace and my pace for run walk is currently around 13.23ish which is really slow and theres no way im slowing down from that as my estimated 10km time on that is 1hr30 roughly!
  • yea, i'm in Nic! For me the issue is getting my shorts and shoes on and going. After that i'm happy to run and run. And now i'm starving, which is another addition to the mental battle.
  • Mine have been on all day and ive still not gone out haha and im hungry tooimage!

What time are you going out? I was going to wait til all the kids are out of school as i dont fancy getting shouted at haha! I might have a light snack now and go out at 4.15?

• bollocks!!! Just dropped my laptop and my garmin reciever usb thingy broke!! Ive managed to stick it all back together and think its working?! Aargh ive only used it once...dont even want to think how much it would cost to replace itimage!!!
  • Thanks everyone. I will check out those links. I'm wondering whether I actually take the 'running at conversation' pace too literally. I have been slowing down recently as I thought I may have been running too fast as I definitely couldn't hold a conversation. Now I wonder whether I should speed it up a bit once I am warmed up. Do they really mean that you should be able to talk while running? I never get to run with anyone so don't actually get to talk to anyone but myself! image

• Hey BKJ!  I find that im at an ok pace if i can talk to someone but need to stop for breath mid sentance but i wouldnt be blethering away, i think that is the ideal pace for a normal run from what i have read although people have tried to tell me different, Darren gave me this link which is useful:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/exercise/running/choosing_the_right_programme.html#7

• TTN, That's perfect! Thanks very much

• Hello everyone

Looking to get back into running - used to be able to run 45 mins. Felt great. Wanna feel that great again.

Havent thought about goals - just want to be able to run regularly for 25-30mins at a steady (albiet slow) pace. Once I achieve that I may think about entering a fun run an possibly rasing some money.

I've started a thread in the beginners forum - would appreciate any thoughts on plans and what is working out for people.

Talk to me pleeeease image - I know no runners and would appreciate the support.

Ry

• Hey Ryan...ive just replied to your threadimage! Hope its of some help!

You will find plenty of support on here, i have, these guys are great!

• Nic, i finish work at 5pm and get home just after 6pm. So i guess soon after that......
  • Cool! We will have to report back!! Promise to kick each others arses if we dont go outimage?!
  • Hey Ryan, I've just joined this thread too, and took up running for the first time in May. I'm now pretty much addicted but have found that I need to be entered into races to keep me motivated, otherwise I lose sight of a goal - maybe you can find a nice 5k funrun that you can set as a target to get you out the door? If you were once a runner then you'll soon be leaps ahead !
  • Not sure if a cyber kick is enough of a threat to get me out there, BUT knowing you might ask me tomorrow probably will. Right now tho, it will be a huge achievement if i do it.....................

• You know what does get me motivated, looking at a pic of someone with a nice body that i'd love to have. I've got a few pics of Pink up on my noticeboard at home for inspiration of what i could look like if i tried.
  • Hey Ryan, heres a link you might find interesting

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=46

I can ask you tomorrow then Kellydimage! Why dont you go out for a walk with your running gear on and see how it goes then theres no pressure on you to run if you dont want to and if you feel like a bit of running then go for but if not then its still a walk and your still getting out for a bit of exercise!  Is your partner at home, she always gives you lots of encouragement by the sounds of it! You could take her along to cheer you along?!

I was thinking that if i dont go out i will be embarassed to come on here and say that i didnt even try!

• Im the same, ive got a pic of me in the bridesmaids dress on my fridge next to a printout of the 8 week plan, everytime i look at the pic i cringe! It definately does the trick!
  • well exactly, that is the embarressing part, just being lazy.

Yes, Claire is at home, she hurt her knee a bit yesterday, but we have made a chart of different activities that we have to do and we are down for a walk today, SO, i'm sure she'll want to go.

• ah, so you are using the shock tactics. hmmmmmmmmmm, that could work with me too! there are loads of pics i could put up.