A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• I ran my first 10k on sunday the Nike+Human race , was aiming to get under the elusive hour mark but posted 1:02:18 which i was still quite pleased with . did not spend enough time training on the road , too much running on the treadmill , will make sure i dont make that mistake again !
  • Well done Stuart and Mike.  You've both got PBs!!!
  • Yes well done guys they are great 10k times. I hope I can do as well on Sat. This is like weight Watchers for runners. I must do well as I will need to confess my time to you all. Very motivating I think.
  • Good luck to anyone racing this week I am on holiday from the 6th so will miss all the news.

Went to my second session with the running club tonight and think it will really suit me can go out with them twice a week.

It will be nice with the dark evenings to run with company.

• Evening all,

Tried to see if i could run 5k today in 30 mins but could only keep the pace for 3.5k and had to walk for a bit then jog slow so 5k took 34 mins in the end (including all the stopping at roads etc). Meh. Annoying. Is v frustrating as 4 weeks into my running (am now 4 months in) i did a 5k race in 30.11. I really have no idea how. i do remember that it was extraordinarily hard. maybe i just don't try hard enough.

I ran following a group of girls for a bit this evening who I thought might be part of a running club but was too shy to ask them image . Think I will def need to follow your lead susie po when it gets darker.

• Plod

I would recommend it. I never would have considered it before my slump but it is the best thing I did.

Really friendly and all different abilities, I think it is great that the better runners give up their time for an hour to run with us trying to improve.

When you get better there are different nights you can go they do hills, speed or long runs.

Also some meet up at the weekend for long runs if you are interested.

We ran 3.5 miles today but I didn't carry my watch and it seemed to go very quickly.  It is just something different which keeps it interesting.

Also it will motivate me out of the house when the weather it bad.

Can't believe I was complaining about the heat just last week!

• Hello everyone

so, how's all the 10k's stuff going then !

• Welcome Stuart and Mike. Stuart - don't be disappointed with your time.  Now you have a starting point to work on and as the weight drops so will your time.

Anyway, although my scales variously say over the past few days that I've changed weight over the last couple of weeks somewhere between +1 lbs or -4 lbs, I ran 4 miles today in a new personal best of 36 mins 59 secs.  My previous best was 38:10 so I was pretty shocked when I looked at my watch at the end.  I knew I felt good but didn't realise it was that good!

If only I can keep that pace going for another 2 1/4 miles, I'd end up at (goes to find a calculator) under 58 minutes by my reckoning

I think the fact that the last couple of runs I've done have been around 6 miles / 10k that's enabled me to go faster on my shorter run.  So maybe I should start running 8 miles and then I'll be really speedy for 10k?  I'm not sure it works like that, but I'll maybe try and up my long run to 7 miles this weekend as a starter.

• I was thinking pasta Plodmonster. Even bought running socks today. How sad am I.....

Josie - I definately run faster on the shorter having extended long run to 10k. Can only keep my pace for about 3 miles but hoping race day will improve that. I track all my running on Mapmyrun.com. That way I get an average speed per run. That is steadily improving. I am not as fast as you, just 31.33 on the last 3 miler a while ago. Once I get this weekend done I might go out and go for it on a 3 miler see what I am made of.

• Yersinia just tried that weight loss/speed link and 4lb can take 1.30 mins off my time. Thing is I am running faster now after putting on 4lb after my hols. I think training has more impact for us plodders. Let keep going
  • Debbie - nothing sad about buying running socks. I have a few pairs of proper running socks and they're fabulous. I'm pretty much always blister-free in them, which is more than can be said for my normal socks.
  • I know it's unorthodox, but I wear £11.99 Aldi "Technical Running Shoes" and thin cheapo Tesco cotton socks, and have never had any leg pain or any blisters with them.

Earlier this year, I thought I should get serious, and went and had gait analysis and got a pair of Sauconys. They gave me blisters on my insteps, and my legs felt not exactly painful, but less comfortable. So I'm back to the Aldis and did my tri in them. I may try the Sauconys again after my next race, but I don't want to risk blisters again before it.

I'm reluctant to spend another £80-odd on another pair of shoes that may be no better.

• i bought my first pair of proper running socks last week and i LOVE them. unfortunately they cost £8 a pop and i only have the one one pair so they are being saved for long runs and races only...
  • I brought the £8 pair from Nike when I brought my Nike+ stuff.
    They are my running socks, I couldn't run without them, although I can't really see what they do?
    I think it's in the mind!
  • I got two pairs of running socks in runners needs at King's Cross this week wore the first pair last night and they feel lovely.

I suffer from blisters on the arch of my right foot  wore them to the running club. Only ran 3.5 miles but no blister not sure how they will cope with a longer run but will let you know.

They were 10.98 for two pairs they have a sale on should have been 7.99 each.

• Mine are HILLY mono skin... saving them for 10k been told that they will be great. Like the idea of them being seam free. I have never had blisters but do get numb feeling feet after a long run.

About the trainer Yersinia - i took 2 mins off my first 3 miler after buying them, they are ASISCA (I think that is the make!) they were £50 and I got they from a little local running shop. The guy made me run on a tread mill in 9 different pairs and they were the most comfortable. He agreed from watching me run. They were the cheapest of all 9 but I didn't ask the price until after I had chosen. He wants me to bring them back after 400 mile and then he will be able to give me a pair more tailored to my style of running using the wear on the trainer to help him. When it comes to money I just think of what I save in gym membership and I buy a new item of gear when I feel I have earnt it because I have stuck at running. I got my RON HILL jacket of ebay new at £25 when they were £50 in the shop. My family say this will be the first xmas that they know what to get me....water bottle, running tights for winter, tshirt for summer, the list goes on. My brother suggested some go faster stripes (LOL!)

• You will all notice I have changed my name to Debbie Mac.......you all have cool names and I felt left out (LOL!)
  • Heh.

I did the treadmill, video analysis and all, but I just couldn't get on with the shoes. They were not even comfortable for walking. I was quite upset, having spent out when I'm very cash-strapped.

As I have had no niggles or injury woes with the cheapos, and have done quite a lot of miles in them, I'm not too concerned, but I know they are beginning to wear out now, so I'll have to rethink quite soon. 

I'm wondering if I try out the Sauconys again when the weather is a bit cooler, my feet will be less sweaty and blister-prone, and maybe I'll have broken them in by the time it warms up again.

• Yersinia, why don't you alternate them?  One session in the old faithfuls, then the next session in the Sauconys.  Then when the old ones really are past it, the new ones should feel comfortable.

I always have problems with new footwear.  Doesn't matter if its shoes, sandals, trainers or what.  The first couple of wears will be fine, then blisters and I mean blisters image  Once the blisters have heeled, then there's no more problems.

• I 'll try that Kelly, but not till after my race - I don't want to get blisters before that!

I was thinking. Should we keep a  list of PBs with dates for threadsters, so we can track our progress towards (and hopefully past) the magic 1 hour mark?

I went out for a medium-length average-paced plod this evening. 7.65 km in 51 minutes. Reasonably easy terrain on the whole.

•  I'd be up for that, we can cheer each other on etc. Can we set a list up as a link???

• Oooh Yersinia - I like that idea. Don't know how we go about getting a seperate link unless we get a whole new thread going... I'll start a list though! (i love a list):

Plodmonster 1:05.45

If we collate everyone's current PBs and if you get a new one you can copy and paste the list and whoever has the most recent PB gets to be at the top of the list! Make sense?

• 61.10 on the 10th August ( First Race)

Not sure when my next 10k will be tho because of my half in October and going on holiday on Saturday but hoping I may catch one at the beginning of October.

• Well, I initially just thought of a list on this thread - each time someone does a new PB they can update the list.

I guess the other option is to have a spreadsheet that we share online. I've not used it, but I think google docs might be worth exploring. Then we could include all times (not just PBs) and maybe make graphs of improvement etc.

I'm Queen of Excel graphs, but I've never done online sharing, so figuring out how that works could be interesting.

• I love tables and graphs and things. I use www.mapmyrun.com to track my running and find it really motivating. My other half writes websites and stuff I could ask see if he knows what to do?

Ran today (couldn't resist trying the new socks. Did a 3.8miler in 38.24. I did the same route on Tues and did 40.35. I am well please this is my best paced run, nearly at the 10min mile rate. Hope that the weather is ok on Sat as the route is much flatter to what I am used to so I am hopeful.

• Just looked at google docs thing and it seams great.We just need to create it and then access it with email address. People can just join in by leaving an email address  and they can get acess. I vote Yersinia the queen sets it up.
  • Ta-Da - I've just run my 10k route in, wait for it, 58 minutes and 53 seconds!  But I don't want to leave this thread - I like it here!  I'll just have to say that I can't really verify my time until I've run a proper 10k race rather than a route round my town that I plotted out on mapmyrun.com.

Anyway, given that only a few weeks ago I was running 4 miles in over 42 minutes, hopefully I can give some motivation to some of you that it is do-able!

• I'm an obsessive compulsive grapher, so I'd be happy to keep up a spreadsheet. When I get a chance, I'll look through this thread and see what we've already noted.

Only had a very little run today, but fast, by my standards - 2.94km in 17:09 (10.3kmph) at average heart rate of 159.

• Hi Guys

it seems like you have a really close thread going and give each other lotsof support and encouragement.

Josie- i ran last night 7kms in 48mins. i was well chuffed with that time and i am now looking to complete my first 10k 12th october and would love to be able to complete it in about 1.10, but i'm trying not to get too hung up on time.  it sounds like you have made fantastic progress over the last few weeks - a great inspiration- perhaps there is hope for me yet!!

thanks