I keep collapsing

Comments

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Hi Doug, I guess that it must feel odd to no longer be doing anything to fight this and it will take a while before you relax and start to trust your body again.

It sounds as if the most positive thing you can do now is rest, eat well, laugh lots and make a return to exercise as/when you feel able.

Good luck for 15th August - and beyond!!

• It's all crossed Douglas! ((((( ))))))
  • yeah

thinking of you

x

• I had my scan this morning, which went as planned.

This scan will be used:

1) To decide whether I go into remission or need more treatment

2) As a base scan for all the future scans that I'll be having over the next few years.

I've been told that the medical definition of remission is "No sign of active disease".

By 2012, I'll be so radio-active that I'll glow in the dark.imageimageimageimageimage

My oncologist is on holiday so I know have to wait until 4th September to hear results.

I'm back training 4-5 days a week for about half an hour at a time. The group coach is being very cautious.

I know that I'm getting better. Whilst I was ill, coach was rather pleasant; now that I've finished my treatment, he's reverting to type!

Once again thanks for all your support folks.imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you. Hoping that the news on 4th Sept  will be even better than you could have hoped!
  • Hi folks,

My training's going well and I'm averaging 30 minutes a day of actual exercise. I'm concentrating on indoor bike, rower, stepper etc and only doing one short run with Wimbledon Windmilers each week.

It's staggering how quickly one's fitness increases, though from a very low level. However, despite the evidence, I'm still having an internal crisis about how "I'll never get back to anywhere near my previous level of fitness". How the mind plays tricks!

I've got a guaranteed place for London Marathon 2009. I don't want to blow it by getting injured, though I'm up to my old tricks of doing secret training out of sight of group coach.

Am I addicted to exercise? Yes!

I really believe that I get such a high from the endorphins produced by exercise that I'm a serious addict. It's much cheaper than heroin or cocaine and doesn't damage one's nose. Anyway that's my excuse for prefering exercise.

However my mind is amazingly relaxed about my mega-meeting at 5.30pm on 4th September.imageimageimage

• Hi DJ

I've followed this and lurked from the start, just never contributed as I just never felt I could contribute anything of value.

When you run FLM you have to stop at Mudchute for a huge forum cheer!  image

• It's not fair how quickly it goes is it!

It's like putting on weight, easy to do and hard to change. Enjoy the training and Nam is right re Mudchute 

• I had lunch with a friend who's a GP today. She leapt up and down like a demented Dervish, when she hear my exercise regime. She tells me that I'm not normal!

I also got an earful from another close friend.

It appears that there's something called post-chemo fatigue. Anyway, because I know that I'm not sensible, I'm going to be sensible and ask the hospital's exercise expert (they have a exercise with cancer adviser) to give me a written program for the next three months. This assumes that the meeting on 4th September is good.

I don't want to blow my LM 2009 chances by being stupid!

Hi Nam (and everyone else), many thanks for your support. Forgive my ignorance, but where/what is Mudchute? I need to know so that I can stop and thank you.imageimageimageimage

• Hi folks,

Well today's the day. My meeting's at 5.30pm. I've been fairly relaxed about it until this morning and now I'm like a Dervish on hot coals.

Emotion is taking over from logic at the moment despite my efforts to keep it down.

The worst that he can say that is that I need more treatment; it's extremely unlikely that he'll say that there's nothing more that can be done.

Huge numbers of other people are having meetings like mine today and I'm sure that they're as equally nervous.

I'm going to have to get used to these meetings, because, if he says that I'm in remission imageimageimageimageimage, I''ll be having these meetings every six months or so for five years.

As the teenagers say, "Deal with it".

A rather shaky set of imageimageimageimage

• ((Douglas)), will be thinking of you.
  • Hi Douglas

Thinking of you. 5.30pm will take a hell of a long time to come today. Face the worst case scenario in your head and then go out and have fun - do something decadent this afternoon.  

I shall cross everything (which is going to make getting back to work really really difficult). 

• Well its just gone 5.30 - still have my fingers crossed, thinking of you Doug!
  • Hi there,

In a nutshell, I'm officially in remission.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

No further treatment is planned, though I'll have regular check ups for along period of time.

Interestingly I now have mild peripheral neuritis. This is a known side effect of my chemotherapy regime, yet it's started after I've finished the treatment. Basically I have difficulty in writing, typing and fine tuning my finger coordination. It will cure itself in time. It's no big deal.

It's been an interesting year to say the least. It's made me re-evaluate life my in many ways. I hope it'll make me a better person. I'm not beating myself about being a bad person before, but there's always room for improvement!

Many, many thanks from all you forumites. Your help as been invaluable.

More tomorrow when I've had a chance to fully digest the news.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• BB ✭✭✭
    Probably like lots of others I have been a lurker on this thread for a while - so pleased, that's the best newsimage
  • Brilliant news, so happy for you Douglas imageimage
  • <Delurks>

Fantastic news! image

<Lurks>

• Another lurker here - wouldn't want to break the pattern!

I'm so pleased for you Douglas. Just remember to take it slowly like everyone is telling you.  I agree going through experiences like this can really help us to look at life from a different perspective,  and become even better people aftewards. Long may the good health continue. imageimage
  • Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
  • Great news Douglas. Words fail me really.... just great news imageimage

I have peripheral neuritis in one arm. It has got better slowly and then recurs again without any obvious cause. Has anyone suggested drugs (eg Gabapentin?) or are you sick or taking stuff?

• YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Great news! I'm sooooooo happy for you!

Lets hear it for the London marathon now!
  • (Another lurker)

Congratulations Douglas that's great news image

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Douglas, wonderful news.  I only discovered this thread yesterday but it made compelling reading and I was willing a positive outcome.  I have been moved by the way you have dealt so stoically with your illness and treatment.  I am humbled, and can only hope that in your position I would be strong enough to handle it with such dignity and grace.

I have no doubt that your high level of fitness and runner's mentality enabled you to better withstand the treatment both physically and mentally.  Your positive attitude is an inspiration.

Now go get FLM 2009!  No-one deserves their place more than you.  Take care, and do continue to let us all know how you're getting on. image