A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• Woo, Debs, that's a great effort!

I'll update after tomorrow's races. 

You'll be fine plodmonster - start off steady, and see how you're feeling. No reason to be nervous.

• Yersinia,

These are my 10k race times. ( A big thanks in advance for adding them to the spread sheet).

4th June '06           Woodhall Spa 10k             01:08:03

25th March '07       Lincoln 10k                         01:02:09

6th May '07           Great Est Anglian 10k         01:12:21

27th Aug '07        Grimsthorpe Castle 10k     01:05:09

7th Oct '07           Clumber Park 10k               01:01:16   PB

16th Dec '07       Bolsover 10k                        01:07:21

30 March '08      Lincoln 10k                           01:05:16

4th May '08         Great Est Anglian 10k         01:10:39

1st June '08       Woodhall Spa 10k              01:05:21

25th Aug '08      Grimsthorpe Castle 10k   01:07:44

They don't exactly improve, more fluctuate !!      Thanks Again.

• Well done Debbie fabulous time and you are heading in the right direction.  You will soon be under the hour.

Are you running the Pier to Pier in October?  This sounds like a nice run to do, I am going to give it a try and hope it isn't too windy

• How long is the pier to pier? I need to build my distance up yet.
  • Wow Debbie - that time is fantastic!

Good luck Plodmonster for tomorrow image

• The Pier to Pier is 15k (I think thats 9 miles).  I have never run that far before but I thought the route looked quite flat.

• I think that is too far for me just yet I would need some time to build up my distance. I am very self conscious and don't run with other what I haven't achieved alone first. I am worried about looking silly!  I do fancy aiming for 10mile ish races maybe next year. Thought I would start doing a 7 mile long run on a Sunday after todays success. Running is Fab!

• Well done Debbie - that's a fantastic time image
  • Gutted.....went on uk.results.net and my "official race time" was 1.01.21 I am shocked. There was a massive clock and i was looking at it as I crossed. I know there could be a couple of second difference but 38. Someone till me this happens all the time. We forgot to stop our own watches as we crossed and onlt stopped them when we had got medal and water crossed the road and sat down. They read 1.01.26 so we figured the 1.00.42 was right. I know it is only 38 second but I really ran at the end with everything I had.
  • It's still a great result Debbie - was it chip timed?

Well, my race was a write off today. The cold that started festering on Friday over night turned into a full on sinus fest so have spent all day counting the minutes til the next Sudafed and trying to breathe. My race clothes, garmin and ipod are still sat sadly on the sofa.

VERY annoyed - had been looking forward to it so much with it being just up the road. So, today, combined with my no show at nike run last week means that I have in 2 weeks racked up a whopping £47 in un-ran races image.

The next race is the half in November - there's another local 10k in October which might enter depending on how the half training is going - might not be able to sacifice a long run for a race.

(A very sorry for herself) Plod  image.

• No chip timing although I am not sure what that entails. I am still pleased with the time, I came 236 out of a field of 290 so I am reallt pleased.

Sorry to hear you are sick Plod have been checking today to see how you got on. There are a lot of variables in running, weather, terrain, health etc. They have to be right for you or you will do more harm than good. I would be gutted if I hadn't been able to run yesterday so feel for you. I want to do another run before xmas but don't want to burst my happy bubble. 

Chin up Plod and tissues ready tomorrow is another day! 

• Chip timing is where you have this plastic thing tied into your shoe lace or round your ankle and it measures the exact time when your foot strikes a mat with sensors in it at the start and finish lines.

I had a 5k once where the clock said 30.11 as i passed the line but my 'official' time was a full minute after that as it was just some bloke sat on a chair sat on a chair writing numbers down... i'm sticking with 30.11 image.

• Feel better Plod - when I last had a cold and took a week off, I ran faster on my first run back out there. I think it was something to do with giving my legs a little rest - hopefully the same will happen to you. image

Did the Adidas Women's 5k Challenge today. Found the whole thing very frustrating. Entirely my fault for getting there late and ending up in the last wave which seemed to be full of walkers. It was sooooo crowded too. I spent ages zig zagging round people and trying not to trip over people when they randomly stopped running in front of me. It took me 36 minutes! I didn't feel like I'd done too much, so went for another 5k run when I got in. 33:40 for that one. (I usually do my long run on a Sunday so didn't think two short ones would be too bad).

I've decided it's time to enter real races with real runners now. Yep, I'll probably come last, but at least I won't trip over anyone.

• ((((HUG)))) for Plod and Debbieimage - although am still envious of Debbie for her 1hr and 1minute race time! Judging by my last race time, I seem to be getting slower!! I dont have a 10k until December now as I prepare for my GNR, but I'm guessing that my extra training should help.

Lisa-Marie - it is very frustrating isn't it when (for a change) you know you can go faster, but there are too many people in your way! I've never tried a 'real' race (always go for the big gimmicky ones in London), but its definately worth a go - and someone has to come last!

Did my 9 miles today in 1hr and 46mins - but was very knackered by mile 7 and now can feel a slight twinge in my hip. Is it meant to be THIS hard????image

• Well done on doing the race and then going back out for another run - v impressive!

• Bola - we are running twins.

1 hr 46 is my time for 9 miles plus my hip has been twinging after long runs recently. I have no idea what it is.

• Bola - 9 miles! I still dream of running that far. Hope the hip is okay. When I'm having a hard run, I think of all the people sitting on their sofas having not exercised in years. Sometimes the smugness pushes me on image

Plod - I don't know about impressive - my entire family have deemed it obsessive! image

• Hi all,

BIG well done DM - I ran at Blackpool and did it in 1 hour 5 and 12 seconds.  It was first race for me and my target was to run whole thing and just see what racing was like!!  Also said at start be happy with 66 mins!

Everyone went off fast up the incline into the oncoming wind and I stayed back and did my own thing.  Felt pretty comfortable til the final sprint for home!  After initial elation I started to think how can do better - and I think that means I will enter another race very soon and work on some speed training to make it different to normal training run! 

DM - My friends came to support and she told me I was just under 1 hour 5 so just going over was a little disappointing but it feels like a good starting point!

Well done to all - it's great to see your achievements!  Also good to see how the running bug has taken over your lives like it has mine!image

• Well done CatherineP, hopefully the weather in your next race will be better, I am sure you will improve on that time.

Just looked up my official time for the race I ran today ( Bupa Great Yorkshire Run), chip timed so an accurate time ( only 2 seconds difference from my watch) 1 hr 4 min 25 sec, some work to do before I get under the hour !!

• I just managed to get under an hour this morning at the GY run. 59.45 image

I timed it on my watch, and got a faster time, but stopped it and restarted when I went for a wee at Hillsorough staduim!

As this was my 1st race and I had planned to just get round with a smile, I'm really happy with my time, and like a PP has said, already thinking on how I can improve y time!

And that last hill was a killer wasn't it Eeyore!!image 

• Well done Catherine P, Eeyore & smuffie! You all did so well! image smuffie - I can't believe you managed to break the hour AND stop for a wee as well! Impressive stuff!

I think I need to sort out some speed training to catch you lot up! image

• Aren't we all starsimage. We get up and do it. Some of us do more (9miles, GNR...I can only dream) some of us go faster (59.45 I wish...I tried but I was running out of petrol and the wind and the hill made me almost run out of the will to live).

The great thing is that you guys out there actually understand what it feels like to be us. And reading todays messages makes me proud to be in this thread. I can only say with this kind of support we will need a new thread titled  "Hey we used to be in a slower than 60 min 10k thread but we needed a new one beacause we are all sooo good!!!

Well done to all of this weekends runner!  

• Loads of races today! Well done everyone!

Am also v impressed with smuffie's sub 60 that included a wee break.

Yersinia's going to be busy updating all these race times!

• Hope you are feeling better soon Plod.  I had to take the last 2 weeks off from any running but ran my best 10k today and got by  of 59:53 s0 hang in there.

ebbie teh problem with unchipped times is how far away from the start you were because the timing usually starts from the gun and if you are near the back this could add quite a few important seconds onto your actual time.  You should still be proud of your time.

• Go Tortoise! Another sub 60! Whoop whoop!

• Well done Running tortoise and Smuffie - under the hourimagebrilliant!!!

Plod - My twin!! I'm kind of better, but its one of those twinges that you KNOW is going to hit you in the morning! How are you feeling?

Debbie - I agree! And we should get extra kudos for longer runs because they take us longer than the 'speed demons' and therefore need extra commitment and time spent on our feet!

• WOW!  Well done everyone!  And yes Debbie, completely agree about the support and camaraderie on this thread.  Much as I admire the speedy bunnies, its great to know there's others who run/feel like I do!  And get well soon Plodmonster, must be very frustrating for you.

My next 10k a week today, well done to all those who braved this weekend's vile weather, hopefully it won't be so grim next weekend.

• Well done the weekend runners!

I didn't run at all at the weekend. Did fairly heavy duty DIY on Saturday and banged my head, so felt stiff and groggy on Sunday, but went out to watch the Tour of Britain.

Still feel slightly stiff today, but will try a gentle jog later on.

Updated pb chart: 

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/2838717337_ed4c65e664_o.jpg