Over 60s training.

Comments

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    no running for pam either

resting for tomorrow's longish run/walk

shoulder's still ache a little but not as bad as yesterday.

Have a good day everyone
  • Morning folks.

Benz. It's taken me many years to get up to my level of performance (which ain't outstanding anyway). Don't be impatient, just be persistent and keep training.

Ceal. Good day for running. Nice and cool.
    Go for it.

I shall need to avoid comfort eating methinks.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    I have been mouseless, scratching around all the cubby holes looking for batteries, eventually sucess!

Ran for 70 mins, 7.75 miles. For 50 mins I ran alternating 2 mins half m pace and easy.

Note to self, if I ever do this training plan again, I find a substitute for this session. Toooooooo much looking at clock etc.

It was cool, one can see just round the corner the need to wear warmer clothes to start the run, but ok today.

Off to Dentist in Coventry now, ooorororor eeeeeeeer, whatever.

How is the knee today JJ after treatment?

Spud, what pace were you running the run the other day when you ran at half marathon pace?

Hi Maggie, where are you?

Enjoy another days holiday Gemini.

Sorry I missed you Benz.

Bye for now.
  • Ceal
    Sounds like a very encouraging run. Well done.
    Unless I'm imagining things, the knee's slightly easier this a.m.

Have a lovely visit to the dentist.
    JJ
  • Morning all!

Sorry I'm late! ;o)

As I got up this morning I had a twinge in my neck (like a trapped nerve). It got steadily worse and by the time we had done our warm up walk it was sending shooting pains into my head! I tried to run but it hurt every time my left foot landed, so no run today, just a walk! I was going to the doctors anyway so chatted to her about it! She said it sounded like a nerve since it was sending pains shhooting in all directions! Suggested i resyted for afew days ( and told me to stop prodding!) ( Iwas trying to decide where the pain was starting from!) I have a splitting headache now despite the nurofen and am fed up because I wanted to have a go at the 6 miles this weekend!

JJ glad the knee is easier today.

Ceal another good run, hope the dentist was ok!

Morning Benz
  • Sorry Pam I missed you, have a good rest :o)
  • Hi Peepsyweepsies,

Ceal, I did 5 min. 20 sec/K.

JJ, I have started an emergency massage course last night so I can treat your knee!

Maggie, sorry about the neck.

Hi Pam and Hippo!

Running on the tready later.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Quick look in on return from dentist.

Maggie, do you have one of those wheat bags with lavender in as well that you put in the microwave to warm up? If so use it, if not try a hot water bottle (covered) on the neck. It sounds most unpleasant.
  • Ermintrude the hot water bottle on my neck as I type, main problem is exactly where to put it!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Just move it around. Maybe the problem is much lower down, ie. nearer to the shoulder blade. But I suspect it is under the edge of the skull at back of head. So that would be a good place, or even at the side of the neck. Of course if the hot makes it worse try cold. But usually for nerve related pain the heat is better, but we are all different. It would be better if you lay down with the bottle for a little while, rather than being at the computor, which will not help the condition.
  • A lay down with a bottle would cure almost anything. No glass needed.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    A good one JJ!!!!!!!

I have a question regarding the rest of my training before the Half on Sept 14th.

Below I will tell what the programme says I should. Can you comment please, taking into account 'my age',! I want to do better than well! the fact that I had 2 weeks out of training. Etc Etc.

Next week:--

1)Endurance target 2 hours at an easy pace
    2)rest
    3)Speed target 3x2k at 10k pace 2 mins slow jog between efforts.10 mins warm up and cool down.
    4)rest
    5)Pace target run 8 miles at half marathon pace. 10 mins warm up and cool down .
    6)rest
    7)30 mins easy

The week before the race.

1)Endurance target run 90 mins at an easy pace
    2)rest
    3)speed target. 10x400 at 5k pace 200m fast jog between efforts. 10 mins jog warm up etc
    rest
    4)Pace target run 30 mins alternating 2 min bursts of half m pace and easy.
    5)rest
    6)30 mins easy with a few strides!
    7)THE RACE

I have somehow or other to sort out the fact I did my long run this week on a monday, which makes life a little complicated, but I will adjust somehow.

On the whole next week is ok'ish, but I do not much like the week before the race. The speed target seems a bit ambitious in my humble opinion 5 days before the race. I am happy to do it but do not want to wear myself out. I would do it in the gym.

There is no hurry for a reply, when you have time, in anticipation, thanks Johnny.
  • Ceal, I agree with you regarding the speed session. Maybe it would be too strenuous for the 1/2m week. But let's sees what wise JJ thinks about it.
  • I think you need to ease up a bit. Your fitness is going to get neither better nor worse in two weeks. You simply need to do enough to keep ticking over while keeping your mind happy that you are still working.

I'd make Day 3 next week your last speed session. Reduce the injury risk.
    Reduce Day 5 a bit - say 6 miles steady.

Race week.
    Day 3 is too much at that late stage. Another 6 miles steady would do.
    Day 4 Rest
    Day 5 3 or 4 miles easy.
    Day 6 3 miles very easy.
    JJ
  • Ceal I have indeed been lying down with the bottle (hot variety). Its nice while i'm doing it but doesn't seem yo have any lasting effect. The pain actually seems to start at the front by the collarbone I think. Thanks for advise.

Unfortunately I have to go to work soon but I will have another lie down when I get back.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Thanks Johnny, I am pleased you were of the same mind about the second week especially.

I did the same programme last year and attempted to do what it said. I underperformed on the day, which of course may not have had anything to do with the training programme at all, it may have been an off day.

Although looking at my log I note that I did not run after the thursday session. Therefore had 2 days off prior to race.

Anyway, thanks Ce xx {(*_*)}
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    afternoon peeps
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi Pam what are you up to?
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    nothing too much

been struggling with isp connection this afternoon

is there a new olympic event -shot computer where competitors try and throw a computer as far as posible!!!!!!!
  • Going out now then on to the London social for a couple of hours.
    May post later, depending on my ability to find the room the p/c's in.

Have a good weekend folks.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    I am out this pm too. Going out for dinner with some friends in the Cotswolds, so getting about a bit today, what with Coventry this am.

I have to say this bad timing to be going out. The athletics is hot hot hot this pm and I shall miss it. It is never the same when watching a recording later.

Sorry you are having computer problems Pam. that sounds a good event, I think that many of us would qualify.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    A sudden thought for JJ. whilst my last 2 week training plan is still in your mind, well just a little bit. I have the following question:--The 6 miles steady, is the 10 min warm up and cool down included in this 6 miles or is that in addition? the original on the first week was 8 miles ++ the wu & cd. Sorry to tax your brain again, the programme if you need to refer to it is on the previous page.
  • hello
    tea now
    But did gym
    9.5 kph mile intevals x3
    Plus 200m walk breaks betwwem, and 1km 7,5 kph warm up cool down
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Bravo Hippo

<<<<<<<<<< round of applause >>>>>>>>>>>
  • Well done there Hippo, hey did you hear the news this am about the shortage of hippos?
    You are a rare commodity indeed!!
  • Dunno much more, I heard on the radio this morning that Africa has a chronic and worrying shortage of Hippo's, perhaps someone else heard it as well?
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi peeps late for me, Had a brilliant view of Mars tonight on our return.

Yes Hipps, I saw you on the telle too today!

Hi Caren DK/Sue. Will You visit us again? sorry there was nobody much around when you dropped in except an eccentric beloved hippo.