Anyone out there running with fibroids???

Are there any women out there who are running with fibroids???? I have a fibroid and problems with my cervix, and when running occasionally experience unbeliveable pain in my lower abs, its not all the time. Am I the only person?? I dont want to stop running, Im only running 20mins three times a week at the moment.

Comments

• I have also received unbelieveable pains for roughly 4/5 months now, but only occasionally and on the last occasion I was violently sick and decided I had to seek medical help as on the last occasion the pain lasted for 5 hours and because I was paralaysed with pain, I was unable to do anything, including taking a shower as I couldn't stand up.  That evening I had ran for an hour.

There is a suggestion that the stem of the fibroid(s) becomes twisted thereby cutting off blood supplied to it hence the excruiating pains.  Like you, this does not happen often.  I am on holiday in Sydney, Australia to run the Blackmores half marathon on Sunday 21 Sept and am praying I will be okay after this run.  I have been told that there are options to deal with the fibroids, which I am seeking advice about.

• Good luck for your half marathonimage

I am going for a run tomorrow morning and keeping my fingers crossed!! Thanks for replying I dont  feel so alone now, hopefully I will be having and operation in December to remove the  bugger!!! In the meantime I will keep on ploddingimage

• I have same problems. Huge fibroids causing all sorts of problems. On waiting list for hysterectomy probably in January.

I'm getting slower and slower and runs shorter and shorter 3 very slow miles todayimage

Good luck with your surgery.

• Sorry just saw date and realised this was last year. Hope all went well
  • Hello, i know this thread is quite old now but, i have the same problem.

Started to feel sluggish about two years ago, used to run daily at around 8.30-9.00 pace and felt great.  Now chug along about 11 mins per mile and and drained if i run further than 5 miles.

I had a scan yesterday which revealed i have two large fibroids and a cluster of smaller ones. 

Im relieved that i know what's wrong now.  But have to wait to see consultant to find out my treatment.

Im writing this whilst sat in my running gear about to go for a 3 mile slow job.

Im only 37, bit fed up.

x

• Aw how I feel for you Mrs Pepper Pot. I had the same problem along with flooding (sorry TMI) got to the point where I had to stop running in Oct last year. Had a keyhole hyst (don't panic there are other treatments I'm 48 so best option for me) on 14th Jan and just had the all clear to start running again. I feel amazing now best decision I ever made.

Enjoy your run!

• Takes friggin AGES on NHS - I flew to a third world country to stop the haemorhaging after my NHS doctor advised me incorrectly, I haemorhaged, had a blood pressure crash and repeated fits and was taken to hospital in an ambulance.

Have a 10 inch scar on my stomach from removal and am now back in SA permanently - although getting over taking norethisterone for a year and three months of Gonopedtyl Depo means that it took a total of about a year for me to get back into training properly

That's about where I am now - signing up for races again and slowly getting over the psychological damage of being effectively tortured by wankers in London

Good Luck!  image

• Mrs Pepper Pot - age unfortunately means nothing

I was 26 with a 7cm fibroid, a 5cm fibroid, constant pain and constant haemorhaging  image

• Yes me too. I was diagnosed with fibroids 2 years ago. I also get pain when running and have had to cut back to short runs of 2-3 miles.
    I want to avoid surgery and have changed my diet and am trying natural methods of shrinking my fibroids. So far it is working.

This website is excellent and has a link to a very detailed e-book on shrinking fibroids naturally
    http://www.fibroidpain.org

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I had this last year, and had an operation for it in feb this year. I was out for only 20 mins and was running (all be in very slowly) the next day, I'd recommend the op, I have had no problems since image
  • UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

I had fibroids too (along with endometriosis) and had keyhole surgery in 2008 to remove the fibroids and blast out the endo scarring. It took me a few months to get back on track but I ran a mara less than 4 months after the op

My problems started with severe abdominal pain during or after exercise and very heavy bleeding too, which caused anaemia

PO....I think I'd had the problems for years but the NHS just kept changing my pill and telling me get on with it and it was only when I had private insurance that my GP took me seriously.....I wonder how bad things might have got if I hadn't been able to use the private route!

• I can cope with the pain, it's the constant weeing every 10 mins when I'm out that bothers me! Always run solo, too embarrased to join our local club image Anyone any suggestions to run dry?  I've 3 fibroids, one the size of a grapefruit!

• Hi ladies, I know that this thread is old but the magic of Google brought me here. Another runner with fibroids here. I suffer with extremely heavy bleeding, pain and unexpected bleeding through the month.

I have an IUD fitted (Mirena) but I think this has made it all worse. I am now working on the theory that fibroids grow due to oestrogen, which is stored in body fat. So I am trying to drop my body fat percentage. I think it has helped a bit but can't say for sure as I am sat here typing this whilst experiencing cramps, pain and having a period that has seemingly arrived early (though these days I can't tell anymore).

Despite all the fun and games downstairs, I try and run regularly. I do Parkrun on Saturday mornings which is a free, timed 5K run in my local park. I also run 3 times a week as well as this. Have started increasing my distance, so my average run in around 6K in distance at around 6.08m/km pace.

Before I run, I have to make sure I'm wearing a pad, take my iron supplements and any pre-run snacks.

I hope that you have all resolved your fibroid issues and/or are managing them better. 

• And years later, here I am to bump the topic 😀

I've been running with Fibroids for the past 4 years, it’s only because my periods suddenly became heavier last year that I went to my GP who in turn referred me to the local hospital. <div>
    </div><div>The options I was given weren’t encouraging; it was speaking to a friend who said she was told the reason why the NHS so often suggest Hysterectomies was because it has less complications (which doesn’t speak well for the other options they suggest). </div><div>
    </div><div>At first the Senior Consultant just said “Hysterectomy”, then I had an MRI scan and returned to the hospital to consider my options. it was only after declining the one option the original senior consultant stated that the doctor (who actually read my notes), said I had other alternative treatments available as a result of the MRI. </div><div>
    </div><div>Unfortunately because of the current COVID-19 pandemic everything is on hold. In the meantime I continue to run (thankfully no pain apart from a wobbly belly), and do a variety of exercises in between. I’m not sure how you can strengthen your core with Fibroids 🤷‍♀️ but I continue to do the needful in order to become a better runner. </div><div>
    </div><div>I was doing parkruns and actually getting better, from 37 minutes when I started to under 33 minutes. </div><div>
    </div><div>I hope you are all doing better and able to manage your conditions in a way that enable us to take part in an activity we all enjoy. </div>