My Debut Marathon Result

Hi everyone! Im still in the excited, 'tell all & sundry' stage of my post marathon experience and since I recieved advice from several members of this board, re: my training for hte 2002 Helsinki City Marathon, I feel I should broadcast my result here. Hope no-one minds ;)

17/8/2002
My debut @ the distance of 26.2 miles...
Clock Time: 3:04:16
Chip (actual) time: 3:04:00
1st half split 1:29:58
2nd half split 1:34:02
Position: 67/5945 (top 1.1%!)
Temp: 80C
Course info: http://www.sul.fi/hcm/hcm2002

Great course, if somewhat hillier than I expected, great city, friendly people. Would definitely recomend it. Its being run in September next year so that reduces the temperature problem.
Great experience despite the foul tasting local on-course energy drink, 'Dexal' (read 'urine').
I had to stop for a #2 on course near the end & my legs siezed, breaking my rythm. Also had the pain of holding my bowels together for 20km (due to the unpracticed 3pm start). With lower temperatures & a 10am start I think a sub 3 hour would have been quite attainable (the winner, from Tanzanier only di 2:19:00, so...) so do I run another marthon in 6 weeks (I.e the Abingdon) and go for it, or just wait till next year and relly try & blast my debut time, say on my automatic London/Boston entry? :)

p.s. yippppee!!!

Comments