Great North Run 2009

Comments

• Evening all! Quick post as just posted on the other thread and the bath's waiting. In 2 minds whether to do this again. Atmosphere is not to be beaten, but 2+ hrs to get back to Gateshead and 4 hrs on the motorway isn't funny image  Probably will enter anyway image

• Hi everybody,

Long time forum reader here, thought I would get around to actually contributing after gleaning some very valuable wisdom from the regular posters on here in the run up to the GNR 08.

Just in from the run today, had a fantastic time, crowds simply awesome in their generosity and support as always - and class weather considering the last couple of days including the Saturday up on the Quayside. 

Beat my own PB today with a 1 hr 55 finish so looking forward to next year already!!

Well done everyone on their times and achievements image

RB

• I dont seem to be able to bookmark this thread?

Well, really enjoyed today. Tried to find the green balloons at the start but just couldnt find them. I did 1:55. My 1/2 PB is 1:40 (GNR PB 1:47) but I have only run once in the last 6 weeks due to holiday and then illness  - today was my second run in 6 weeks. So, overall pleased as my target was anything within two hours. Felt good until the 10.5 mile mark where the lack of training hit in and pace slowed right down - still, I managed to run the whole way along the sea front which is the first time I have managed that - for some reason every time I have done GNR previously I seem to run out of energy at about 800m to go and have to walk for about 100m!

PS Am I the only one who blubs every time they play Abide with me at the start - pleased I was wearing sunglasses so no one could see my eyes!

right, off to bed now to rest my weary limbs.

• Jovi - I was in the loo queue when Abide With Me was playing, and was certainly glad I was wearing sunglasses. You weren't the lady next to me in the queue were you?
  • night all ,   what  smashing day ,  first  the race ,  then   the meal tonight ,   what a cracking bunch of people ,   its quite funny really .  didnt know what to call most of you,   felt a bit strange calling yous by ya forum names,    but feel like i know yous all a bit better now image
  • really must change me  tiggr photo to something a bit more apt image
  • Evening
    Just watched Heroes and I am caught up. Hurrah.
    I have the shivers and feel light headed. Could it be running related?
    The tops of the front of my thighs are really stiff and sore. Can't walk properly. Is that normal? What do you call the tops of your thighs?
    Otherwise I'm feeling fab!
  • Morning
    Legs as stiff as two blocks of wood this morning. Somehow have gotta drive to Morpeth station shortly to get the train to Glasgow.
    Hope everyone is well.
  • Good running
    Yeti and Jovi. Jovi similar to you my PB is 1:39 so my 1:54 yesterday is some way off that but lack of LSRs really showed when I got to 10 miles when all energy was zapped and my legs felt like lead.was barely running between 11 and 12 miles but then got a bit of a spurt. Was dodging people from back of zone C as well guys.
  • buga post 40, not on first page this year!!

Congratulations to all for the 08 run!!

prediction for 09 Definately doing it unless my head falls off 2006 time a shocking 3:20.  2009 prediction 2:30 ish

• LOL - you've got to be quick, Parmo.

Good to see you back.

• Morning all image

Confused as to whether to post here or on the 08 thread?

Some great results - well done all!  Especially Shielsy, who has had loads of probs with her legs this year, and was coming down with a cold!  Hope you're feeling better this morning Shielsy.

My result: 2:10.  Half pb previously (March this year 2:13).  Last year's GNR: 2:30!!  imageimageimage

Main prob was weaving past peeps around 7 miles in (?) when the road narrowed.  I was hopping on and off the grass verge on many occasions.  Managed to stick to 10 min/miles throughout though, which was my plan.  Only had one SIS energy gel, as after that my tum was feeling a bit tender.  One quick loo stop (in bushes!) and also a pause to let an ambulance in as a lady had collapsed on the course (around 6 miles in) image.  Hope she was OK.  She didn't have a mask on or anything, but looked quite red in the face so think it might have been a case of heat exhaustion.

My legs are feeling canny this morning.  Going into work later this morning - guess what T-shirt I'll be wearing? image

• Morning XL!  Nice to meet you yesterday.  Had a little chat with Pengwyn too image
  • Morning all image  How is everyone?

Legs a bit stiff today, but nothing more than after a normal LSR so at least I don't think I've made any injuries worse image  Funny that people at work seem to have forgotten that I've done 3 other halves this year, but never mind, I'm enjoying attention - people asking me how I'm feeling, why aren't I limping, and saying they were looking for me on the telly, lol.

Have signed up for the reminder service for next year, now to see if there's any chance of a hotel under £100.  Will make sure I book at least Monday off IF I'm going to do this again....

Have a good day folks! image

• Well at least I got in the first 50 posts!
  • Well done for getting sub-2:15 yeti image

• Well done on the PB RTG! Lovely to meet you yesterday - face to name and all that image

Know what you mean about the weaving - I was on and off the verges & pavements like nobody's business, and at times got really, really frustrated at coming to a total standstill. I wonder how much faster I'd have been without all that..... image  (but then again, I'd have probably gone too fast and burnt out at 10 miles)

• Hi, RtG - good to see you too.

And post here, we need to get to 30,000 image

Well done on a fantastic achievement - 20 minutes is a huge chunk to take off your GNR time - and a PB for all halfs on that course is something to be very proud of too. Reckon you're going to be walking on air all day.

Well done to you too, Yeti. It was good to see you at the start, and wish you well on your way. See you again next year then?

• Does anyone know how many finishers there were this year?
  • Morning.

My legs surprisingly fine this morning so happy with that. Still managed to get blisteres though despite the vaseline so my toes hurt a bit. Couldn't stop sneezing when I got home so I think the kids' cold was just waiting for me to finish, that was nice of it image.

It was a lot tougher than I thought it would be over the last few miles, but at least I know what to expect now. Garmin had me at 13.21, probably with all the weaving (I did start it on the line, not the gun). I have to say I am now worried that I have entered a marathon now. I know I'll do proper training and run it at a slower pace, but I'm scared now!

Congrats to all, lots of PB's there. I guess mine was too, but that's cheating as it was my first half image.

Official stats - 1:58:28

Position - 11815

Age - 5996

Gender - 2011

Age and Gender - 1113

My husband told me this morning I apparently beat Kris Akabussi's time so chuffed with that!

• morning XL hows it going?  gonna be more active this post and i'll try to keep up.

• Yeti - no, that wasnt me in loo queue - I have to confess to giving up on the loo queue and using the bushes!

BBS - your race sounds very like mine yesterday!

We normally dont leave the North East to drive back until about 10pm but OH was tired last night so we left at 6.30pm - bad move - the traffic was still really backed up - felt like we were in a traffic jam form Newcastle to Scotch Corner - seemed to quieten down after that. Will definitely go back to leaving later next year. OH said he was tired after walking from S Shileds Metro to finish and then from finish to ferry with me - I said maybe next year he should try running from Newcastle to South Shields to see how tiring it was! image

• Great time Kelly - how cool to get under 2 hours image

Kind of know what you mean about entering a m******n though!  Mine in 3 weeks time image

Post has been - STILL no ballot result for FL* ! image

Thanks very much for your comments XL - yep, 'walking on air' just about describes it image

• JR - took one look at the queues and thought, 'Nah, will have to be bushes'! image  And there's no way I'm queuing for loos on the course itself!  In and out of bushes and you're done in well under a minute image.
  • LMAO jovi he should definately try running it.
  • morning all,

legs feeling a bit stiff today but not too bad !! hope everyone ok