Great North Run 2009

Comments

• I have to say being femaIe the beer was no tempatation, however, did anyone grab a rich tea biscuit off a lady about 9 mile mark.  Great to have a bit of food put my mouth was so dry it was really hard to chew and eat it!
  • I didnt see the Rich Tea biscuits - did enjoy the orange segments at various points though - just the job. I was also temted by the ice pops but was worried the cold might upset my already delicate feeling stomach. the GNR is great for all the little extras like this. I must admit I ma not a fan of beer - now had it been a nice glass of iced cider then I could have been tempted!

I also enjoyed running through the various impromptu water hoses - not to mention the kids squirting water bottles at you. I was actually a bit warm at the start of the race so it was appreciated - not sure how I owuld have felt on a colder day thoughimage

• becky boo wrote (see)
    however, did anyone grab a rich tea biscuit off a lady about 9 mile mark. Great to have a bit of food put my mouth was so dry it was really hard to chew and eat it!

On my first GNR I picked up a Rich Tea biscuit (wonder if it was the same lady?) and immediately regretted it, as - like you say - when your mouth's already dry, it's nearly impossible to chew. Bless her for thinking of us though.

Jovi Runner wrote (see)

I was also temted by the ice pops but was worried the cold might upset my already delicate feeling stomach. the GNR is great for all the little extras like this.

I took an icepop at around mile 11.5 - it was the most pleasant part of the whole race, really cooled me down and psychologically gave me a bit of a boost from the sugar. Ran with it for about a mile with it just sticking out of my mouth like a big yellow cigar, so hope it's not the official photo image
    Jovi Runner wrote (see)

I also enjoyed running through the various impromptu water hoses - not to mention the kids squirting water bottles at you.

And not to mention the firemen at mile 7! They were a really welcome addition this year image
  • LOL at 'Real beer for real athletes'

One year their banner said 'Last beer before the finish'

I would love to know how much they give away.

• I liked the Hash House Harriers motto "a drinking club for people with a running problem"
  • Afternoon peeps image

I feel as  fresh as a daisy - no aches or pains anywhere, though tbh once I'd realised I hadn't started my watch I wasn't really running flat out.

RE: biscuits - lol I told you guys not to take the biscuits from the little old ladies - they suck all the moisture out of your mouth hehehe

I did have an icepop myself and it was prolly the lushest thing in the universe at the time image  Kept me going from just after the crem all the way to the nook image

The firemen at York Avenue were fab too! 

• Meant to say many thanks to Shielsy for organising our post GNR get together again - you're a real star!

had a good natter, but was ready for mu bed far too early (as per usual)  hope everyone enjoyed the night! 

• Well done everyone! All the best for 2009! I won't be doing it next year I don't think although I said that this year too LOL !!! image

Great reading about you all over the last few months I'll be sure to check back here for more of the same! 

St J

• Hey everyone!

Had a fantastic day yesterday!

Time was 2.00 48 seconds, dressed as a fairy and starting in the pink zone dodging thousands of people!!! So was really impressed i think i came 13000??? and something probably 13999, i don't really know, was amazed to say i was so far back! I would love to do it again, hopefully start further up than the pink because i tried to pick up the pace in the last 2 miles but couldn't get past, specially when it funnels down at the end! Was frustrating in places but the atmosphere was amazing and

Really sore lower back today though image think it was the cold start and waiting 30 mins to pass the start line! And lack of space to do back stretches!

What a day image

• Just watched the race on tv that I sky+'d, what a fantastic race for the elite women, so unlucky for Jo Pavey not to get 1st and just 2 seconds separating 1st and 3rd.
  • hey all, I had a fab time, Im still on  cloud nine and cant wait for next year, it was my first GNR and the atmosphere was amazing, I was suprised a people walking at the first tunnel (OGGY OGGY OGGY!) that set off before me, but hey ho!

Got home and was bathed ready to watch the highlights on the TV at 5pm, then got a massive curry and had a 'few' 'recovery' 'drinks' (cobra beer is amazing......)

We only got snarled in the traffic along the coast to sunderland, once we hit the 690 to the a1 it was fine, myslef and a mate were doing it, he got a 1.32 . and I was 1;04 behind him,(2.37), my other half dropped us both at the start, then parked and wiaied for us at the finish, I was bundled into the back of the van, with warm clothes, food, lucozade and a beer, while he pulled the van out into the traffic (thanks to everyone who helped push the white VW transporter out of the mud!), by the time I was changed and settled, we were in sunderland, and away! (live in darlington), thanks to people for being so patient when I held them up, and I was offering jelly babies to a few tired looking peeps at around 8-10 miles, shame I forgot about them at 10.5 when I got tired!

Real good day, made better by compeed and hillys twin skins!

.......(I can only go down stairs on my ar$e today though......!!)

• Did anyone else have difficulty getting into their zone at the start?  I got to the gate D of the orange zone with 7 minutes to go.  I thought that was about perfect - don't recall seeing a cut off time to get into your zones in the paperwork.  The people on the gate wouldn't let me through and told me that I had to go right to the back.  Nightmare!  Lots of people were trying to jump over the fence or go under it, so it had clearly surprised many.  After two attempts at wriggling under the fence, and being dragged back by my feet by one marshall, I managed to get through a small hole a bit further back than where I should have started. 

I probably did leave it a bit late, but shouldn't they make the cut off clear.   It was a pretty upsetting start to what was a fabulous race. 

• Found You!

Had a great day yesterday, saw the beer, would never fancy one of those on a run ever! But I too had an Ice Pop which was heaven! Took 38 secs off PB and 12 mins off last years time so very pleased.

MICK - I have a FLM ballot place and have never done a marathon before, but few years back would never have thought I could do a half, so with that in mind I am going to give it my best and only shot, it's a daunting thought at the end of a half that it would mean running all the way back, but give it a go, you'll kick yourself if you don't, especially while you are still buzzing from GNR!

• Jaylo - I too said that I would only ever do one marathon. Others told me it was addictive although I was adamant one would be more than enough just so I could say I had done one.  However, after doing London this year I have to agree they were right. Got rejected from 2009 FLM ballot but am planning another one around the same time. At the moment its looking like Lochaber - so be warned - FLM09 could be the first of many marathons!image And I am hoping I can do a fast enough time to get me a good for age place for London next year (sub 3:45).
  • My first time at GNR...and certainly not my last!!!

I have only been running properly for about 9 months after watching last years race inspired me to get off my fat arse and go for it....

what an experience!!! i thought my head was going to explode a few times when all the cheering started...i never expected anything like that at all..

i predicted 2hrs 20.....and did 2hrs 16....so am very happy with that

...i also so far have raised over £600 for Alzeimer's society

and lost a few pounds along the way.... have a look at my before and after pics

before and after pics

• Some great race reports here folks image

Hannah - was just about to post my list and was checking your zone - there were two Hannah Smiths in your zone - so your report came at a timely moment image

Here it goes anyways - these are from your chip times going off the numbers posted on the predictions list.  if it's missing or in any way wrong it's cause your number wasn't listed correctly on the original list.

• A
    Andy Sly - 01:22:01

B
    craig_d60 – 01:57:38
    Vicki: GW - 01:42:06
    jovirunner - 01:55:41
    spesh -
    CC2 Speedygoth - 01:35:23
    Tino - 01:25:25
    flabby - 01:33:34

C
    Scottish Mike - 01:44:25
    Blithburysloth - 01:55:56
    Running Beard - 01:48:53
    Kenny - 01:50:20
    Captain Haddock - 01:33:54
    Andy Morton - 01:48:31
    Keith L -
    Mum on the Run! - 02:22:02
    David Wallace -

D
    Paul Cooper -
    Mick the Mackem - 01:47:07
    ymh - 01:41:35
    Zed -

E
    Mandie R - 01:58:44
    Just Another Mile -
    Slow n Steady - 02:13:53
    mr sj - 01:51:57
    Ang12 - 01:56:00
    dog runner - 01:49:38
    Mr K. - 01:57:19

F
    Blister Sister -
    Steve (mandies brother) -
    vixx76 - 02:37:51
    paul o'reilly -
    WTS - Deferred
    Yeti -
    Penkhull Puffer (Dave) - 02:14:50

G
    shielsy - 02:03:17
    shielsys friend - 01:58:40
    mick string - 02:24:39
    Russell Nimbus -
    Roslyn - 02:09:28
    Stoxy - 02:17:03
    SlowlyButShirley -

H
    Raring to go -
    johnc - 02:19:28
    Liverbird - Deferred
    jaylo - 02:19:12
    RunLikeTheWind - 02:45:19

I
    motherhood - 38662 - Deferred
    hannah smith 13 - 02:00:48
    James1986 - 02:33:11
    Yeti's Friend -
    Megs Mum - 02:22:46

J
    Michelle Sly - 02:57:01
    Hayley Moore - 02:57:01

K

Princess Purple Bubbles -
    Keep Going Lass -
    Anson N7 (Justine) - 03:16:04
  • Afternoon all image

Am home now....

Shielsy - am sorry you are not feeling well. Hope you feel better soon image

Mother Hood - pleased to meet you imageimageimage

Hello to all - and well done for yesterday. It seems like there was some good racing going on image

• Feel free to give me a prod or slap and I'll correct any mistakes

Alan - great before & after pics! 

• Vicki...thanks image

where is the predictions thingy??  sorry newbie alert!!! 

• Can i be on ure list Vicki i feel left out
  • Hey Stuart - how are you doing?
  • Ive added my time in.

A
    Andy Sly - 01:22:01

B
    craig_d60 – 01:57:38
    Vicki: GW - 01:42:06
    jovirunner - 01:55:41
    spesh - 01:28:28
    CC2 Speedygoth - 01:35:23
    Tino - 01:25:25
    flabby - 01:33:34

C
    Scottish Mike - 01:44:25
    Blithburysloth - 01:55:56
    Running Beard - 01:48:53
    Kenny - 01:50:20
    Captain Haddock - 01:33:54
    Andy Morton - 01:48:31
    Keith L -
    Mum on the Run! - 02:22:02
    David Wallace -

D
    Paul Cooper -
    Mick the Mackem - 01:47:07
    ymh - 01:41:35
    Zed -

E
    Mandie R - 01:58:44
    Just Another Mile -
    Slow n Steady - 02:13:53
    mr sj - 01:51:57
    Ang12 - 01:56:00
    dog runner - 01:49:38
    Mr K. - 01:57:19

F
    Blister Sister -
    Steve (mandies brother) -
    vixx76 - 02:37:51
    paul o'reilly -
    WTS - Deferred
    Yeti -
    Penkhull Puffer (Dave) - 02:14:50

G
    shielsy - 02:03:17
    shielsys friend - 01:58:40
    mick string - 02:24:39
    Russell Nimbus -
    Roslyn - 02:09:28
    Stoxy - 02:17:03
    SlowlyButShirley -

H
    Raring to go -
    johnc - 02:19:28
    Liverbird - Deferred
    jaylo - 02:19:12
    RunLikeTheWind - 02:45:19

I
    motherhood - 38662 - Deferred
    hannah smith 13 - 02:00:48
    James1986 - 02:33:11
    Yeti's Friend -
    Megs Mum - 02:22:46

J
    Michelle Sly - 02:57:01
    Hayley Moore - 02:57:01

K

Princess Purple Bubbles -
    Keep Going Lass -
    Anson N7 (Justine) - 03:16:04
  • Heya Vixx - good to see you got home ok - sorry I couldnt chat mouch this morning - my text speak is pretty slow, and I was at work image

Alan - we had a predicted times list on the previous thread, which had names, zone, race number etc - I just pulled the data off the gnr results pages using the race numbers image 

• What's going on with this thread?

First Shielsy confesses to doing strange things with bananas, now Vicki asking to be slapped

• BTw - feel free to add your finishing times to the list - just cut & paste the list into the message box, and add your name & time in the correct zone image
  • ah...but XL you know I like that sorta thing image

• I got back, and it took me an hour to read thru all the GNR 2008 pages I'd missed, and then move onto this one and read all the new stuff - will have to get a laptop..... image

I am going to get my hip checked out. Stupidly, I am still trying to think about Dublin.....

I feel that I didn't do my best yesterday, but after doing Berlin only last week, I knew I shouldn't expect miracles. I was only 4 minutes or so outside of my half mara PB that I set in Berlin, and considering I had to run-walk from 3.5 miles, I shouldn't see it badly, but I do image

• By the way...just a small thing - being the saddo that I am I had to check though some of the results by number listing cause the search facility wasn't playing, and someone with a 55k number managed to get round in 1:30, so I guess it's about how much you want it on the day and no matter where you are, you're gonna be held up by people slower than you, and you're gonna hold up people quicker than yourself.